What's new

Double dipping: what do you do with your old discs? (1 Viewer)

McHugh

Agent
Real Name
Soon Louis
I've finally gone 4K and my new television, a Sony 75 inch XBR 75X900E and a Samsung UBD-M9500 4K player are being delivered tomorrow. I bought two HDR 4K movies, Planet Earth 2 and The Bridge on the River Kwai. I already have the blu-ray Collector's Edition of Kwai.

How about six dipping? I still have the following for Lawrence of Arabia.
VHS Director's Cut
Criterion Collection Laser Disc
DVD packaged in yellow cloth like container
DVD Superbit
Blu -ray of movie only
50th Anniversary box set.

I will be very interested in seeing how much of a difference the upscaling of my current blu-rays will look on my new hardware. I will also be able to compare the HDR 4K version of Kwai with my blu-ray copy. These comparisons will be a consideration as to whether I purchase 4K versions of blu-rays that I already own. However if it is one of my favourites like Lawrence I will buy a 4K HDR version when it comes out.

Reactions: PMF

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
I was selling off old DVD's and Blu-rays to a store and getting a couple of bucks apiece.

Lately though I've decided to hold onto the old discs after I upgrade. I'm putting the old disc into the case with the new disc and throwing away the old case. I got to thinking that, for whatever reason, if the new disc fails over time that I'll have the old DVD to watch, providing it hasn't failed too.

I'm especially doing this if I buy a foreign region disc. I'm holding onto the domestic disc in case one day I don't have a functioning all region player. Though I'll do my best to keep that from ever happening!

For the record, I've only had a couple of discs go bad on me since I started collecting DVD's in 1998. But I thought I'd be better safe than sorry and am now keeping my old discs.

I live pretty close to Livonia. I will have to check out that store, Ron. Thanks for posting this.
You're welcome, that's exactly what I was going for, to "spread the word"! I figure the more people know about them then the better chance of them still being there when I need them...

I think you can click "like" on my post to do a thanks - obviously I'm not worried about getting lots of likes (just look at my counters) but you may as well start somewhere, right? :)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Blu ray dies. go to order another, $4,000 on ebay now oop!!!!

giphy.gif

Wait... I have the DVD that I... gave to MOM!!! Give it back mom... nooooooo mom's place is booby trapped!

anigif_sub-buzz-6581-1480453212-2.gif

So I keep. Mostly. Including blu sets with the DVD.

(oh, and I"m craving Home Alone, which I only have on blu)

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards
My shelves are about 50% taller than the blu-rays and over double-deep. So I stack up 4-5 old double blu or dvds horizontally, store my regular blu-rays vertically on top and another row in front so each shelf has and 2 rows of movies. You can see only half the spine of the back row, but it is more than enough to see what it is.

Those charities you mentioned would be a good idea, but I doubt I would have anything appropriate for my double dips since they are mainly Halloween, T2, Evil Dead, and Dawn of the Dead.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It feels weird to quote myself, but back at the beginning of this thread, I explained...

The impetus for this thread came with the recent Gkids re-release of Spirited Away. I'm not really sure what to do with the old disc. It's a perfectly fine disc and I feel like I'd love to give it away and let someone enjoy the film -- but my friends would care about the subtitles being correct, so they would all want the Gkids edition.

My local arthouse has Spirited Away screening as a "cult classic" this week. I went so as to see it in a theater again, and I took along the old Blu-ray just in case anyone might want it. I was able to give it away there, so it has been successfully re-homed to someone who will enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks