What's new

Do you feel like the situation might be hopeless for your fave TV shows? (1 Viewer)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I simply cannot get over "Ed" being an unreleased show. The show had great demographics (strong in people with disposable income) and a very dedicated following.

Get this show out on DVD PRONTO!!

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Oh, and where's Picket Fences? The first couple of seasons were great.

I'm pleased that Murder One just came out -- that show was criminally underwatched.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

I hear you Dave L :) I've often wonderered why the studios seem to prefer a movie release tie-in to a TV/DVD release. Seems like, for us TV/DVD collectors, it's not a necessary sales tactic for TV/DVD sales. Anyone have a thought on this one?

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Hi, Matt :) I want all 4 that you mentioned in your post, especially the 2 "bionic" ones. :emoji_thumbsup: The good thing about those 2 is that they've been mentioned (and one actually included in the Universal video clip last fall) as being on the way. I haven't heard anything about the Night Stalker or the Rockford Files though. Anyone else heard any news about this one?

How's Minnesota? Bet it's colder than here (Dallas, TX) :D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Simple. Not everyone out there is a "TV/DVD collector". Most of them are what this forum used to call "Joe Six-Packs" (and probably still does over in the Movie section :) ). In other words, non-geeks who don't think about this stuff constantly like us HTF geeks do! :laugh:

When "Joe" hears about the new Starsky & Hutch film that WB puts out, Sony hopes that Joe goes something like, "that remake looks lame, give me the original!" And so Sony's put out the original and makes more money from guys like Joe who wouldn't have thought about the original otherwise.

Likewise, WB hopes Sony puts out the original version on DVD just before the new film hits, so "Joe" goes something like "man, that original was fun...I have GOT to see what they do with this property on the big-screen with a big budget and with modern film-making techniques!" So more people will, in WB's mind, go see the remake movie.

And that's actually what happens: the old and the new versions help feed each other. Sometimes in small ways, sometimes in significant ways. But to the studios involved it is obvious to them that they sell more DVD's to the "Joe's" of the world when there's a new event to tie it into. Hey, at least it's more publicity. Especially if that publicity doesn't come out of *their* budget!!! :wink:

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Now, I wonder what's the matter with those "movie" buffs :D ) Just kidding! I have...uh...a FEW DVD movies myself ;) I didn't know I was a G:eek: :laugh:

Thanks for the simple expl, Dave, for "simpletons" like myself :rolleyes

MattHR

Screenwriter

I just realized a connection these four favorite shows of mine have:

BW is a spin-off from SMDM. Lindsay Wagner (BW) starred in the RF pilot and another RF episode. Darren McGavin (NS) starred as "Oliver Spencer" in the SMDM pilot, a role that would be re-worked to become "Oscar Goldman" in the series as played by Richard Anderson. Anderson starred in the second NS pilot.

tom_tagliente

Stunt Coordinator
I feel this way about FALCON CREST. Why this series is taking so damned long to come to DVD is beyond me. Does anyone get the feeling that the more you want something to come to DVD, the longer it always seems to take? I know the DALLAS seasons are scheduled for once a year. I just hope that FALCON CREST doesn't fall under the same schedule when (or if) it is ever released.

Alan_H

Stunt Coordinator
Yea, I'm pretty bummed that these aren't available now and may not be available anytime in the forseeable future:

The Wild, Wild West
MTMS Seasons 2-7
Get Smart
ThirtySomething

:angry:

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I heard that Young Indiana Jones was being worked on as some sort of big special edition.

With a lot of obscure shows coming I am not as concerned. But, these shows I am not to hopeful about.

-Vengeance Unlimited (Starring Michael Madsen)
-The Strip (Starring Sean Patrick Flanery)
-Fridays (companies want to release it. But, a star of the show refuses to allow it.) :angry:

Valerie G.

Stunt Coordinator
Out of the big list of shows that I'd like to see come to DVD, the two that I am most hopeless about are:

John Doe
Hope Island

Both ran for just one season, but they were great! John Doe, as most of you know, was on FOX but came to an un-timely demise. I still miss it! :frowning:
Hope Island was on PAX about 5 years ago. A funny, quirky drama, and still one of my favorites.

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
As an optimist, I never give up hope. But, there are many that I desire...

As previously mentioned by many posters, I would love to see
Animaniacs - Absolutely fabulous cartoon

Pinky & The Brain - Ditto.

Tiny Toon Adventures - Good, clean, fun nostalgia.

But, there's also...

The Tick (Animated) - Hilariously funny. The live-action show is out. Where's the superior cartoon?

Chip n' Dale's Rescue Rangers - Goes with Animaniacs and many others as classic childhood cartoon.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers - Give me season sets!

Tokyo Pig - Announced as in development by TVSHOWSOnDVD.com a year ago, nothing more has been said.

Dave the Barbarian - A modern classic of animation.

The Beverly Hillbillies - Green Acres is out, Petticoat is coming. Why not the great that started it all?

Gomer Pyle USMC - I feel this will come later as Andy Griffith goes further along, but I still want it.

Josie and the Pussycats (Animated) - Think it was announced, but I'm uncertain.

The Flash - As mentioned by above posters.

Carol Burnett & Friends - I'm not asking for season sets. Just collections of skits.

Batman (1960s Live Action) - From what I've read, I believe everyone wants this show.

The Lucy Show - Excellent continutation of the Lucy legacy.

And many more...Voltron: Defender of the Universe, Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, The Odd Couple, Diagnosis Murder, Matlock, Seaquest DSV, Dennis the Menace, Dexter's Laboratory, CHiPs and probably 50 others I'm forgetting. ;)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

So ... Based on this logic, we'll see the Batman TV series in June, right? :)

Actually, I've learned *never* to give up hope on a "fav" series. I never thought in a million years I would have the opportunity to purchase the Maverick TV series on DVD, and yet it was just recently announced. So perhaps there's hope yet for "Brisco County Jr." and "Wild, Wild, West"!

Valerie

Auditioning
It does get frustrating...waiting for what feels like forever for your favorite shows to appear on DVD.

Here are my favorites which I hope will someday be released on DVD:

Kung Fu: The Legend Continues (since they're putting out the original series, why not go on and do this one)
Scarecrow & Mrs. King (a long running and very popular series from the 80s)
Friday The 13th (still holds up very well today even after The X-Files - didn't like the show after the Ryan character left and they replaced him with that other guy though)
Adderly (a little known Canadian made series that used to run during late night on CBS)
Perfect Strangers (great comedy!)
Hardcastle and McCormick
Dempsey & Makepeace (still cool British police show)
The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (just hope when they do put these out they include all the episodes and not just half like when they put them on VHS)

That's all I can think of right now.

Oh, and I want full seasons of these series, not just some Best Of set. I'm still upset with Columbia Tri-Star for ruining Mad About You this way.
:angry:

And the wait continues...

Eve Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Shows that I want but feel hopeless about
American Gothic
Birds of Prey
Karen Sisco (have it all on tape but dvds are better)
The rest of Once and Again

Other wants
David E Kelly shows-- Ally, Picket Fences, Practice uptill season 7

Toons-
Ducktales
Tiny Toons

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks