Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Subs with remotes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Doug Smith

Doug Smith

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted January 20 2005 - 05:05 AM

I bought this new Velodyne DLS - 4000R. Great sub! But it brings up an interesting problem. With my old JBL I just fired up the Sound & Vision Disc to calibrate it, then left it alone. With the new sub there are four presets, and sub up and down volume. Now when I switch between sources (eg. a movie or a CD) I have to retweak the sub volume. Thankfully I transfered the remote onto my Harmony remote, but it is an extra tweak. An now I have to rely on my ear, or I would be pulling out my meter every time I changed a source.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Nhan_H

Nhan_H

Second Unit

• 431 posts

Posted January 20 2005 - 05:11 AM

So you mean that selecting a different mode, the subwoofer won't select a volume for you automatically?

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   MikeLi

MikeLi

Supporting Actor

• 945 posts

Posted January 20 2005 - 09:50 AM

I think this would be a plus especially with an all in one remote. I would love to have more imediate control over the sub. Even after calibration they are never perfect as different inputs or even different say Sat. channels with 5.1 come in at different strengths.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 20 2005 - 11:40 AM

One of my previous subs was like this and I liked it. My subs subsequent to that though never needed adjustments that could not be made with the receiver, and I rarely make any adjustments at all. A good sub that is calibrated should not need frequent tweaking, IMO.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   MikeLi

MikeLi

Supporting Actor

• 945 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 05:08 AM

I totally agree with the frequent tweaking but haven't you even been involved with a movie when for some reason you don't want your usual hair raising bass. I think it would be nice to be able to tone that down instantly if you had a all in one remote. I guess what I am missing is that my receiver does not have like a night mode one it which would be the same thing basicly.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Doug Smith

Doug Smith

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 08:38 AM

Yeah, don't get me wrong, being able to control the sub by remote is a plus, and yes the presets do change volume levels somewhat (the presets are movie, rock, jazz, and a night mode)as well as a volume up/down switch. This new velodyne also allows you to bypass the subs cross over and use your receivers - which I have done. And as someone mentioned, you sometimes have to tweak a sub anyway depending on the source. Now its just too damn easy. And, like someone whith an obsessive compulsive disorder, I find myself doing it everytime I change a source.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 21 2005 - 10:29 AM

I had one for Ref cal, one that was hot for movies, and one for music that was dialed back a bit. Definitely made it easy, but I found myself wanting to tweak it just because it was so easy. I even programmed macros that would select a particular source and select the appropriate preset on the sub at the same time, as well as a startup macro that turned the sub down, just in case I left it on "hot" the last time I was using the system. If I do make adjustments now, it is usually only +/-1dB, so I don't find presets to be much of a benefit.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 10:33 AM

I'm missing the point. I just leveled my sub against my loudspeakers with an SPL meter and Sound&Vision DVD, and then adjust the receiver volume depending on the source...

Why would I want to adjust the sub again if I've already evenly matched outputs? Posted Image
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   MikeLi

MikeLi

Supporting Actor

• 945 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 01:39 PM

Very simple.. Every sub is going to be different depending on how the source is recorded or transferred irregardless of where you have your settings. Strictly a volume thing. Even the best calibrated subs you have to tone them down a bit for softer music and tone them up a bit and a big bit if you like the low LFE's from a movie hitting you in the chest.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Doug Smith

Doug Smith

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 06:18 AM

I programmed the sub's remote into my Harmony remote - but the macro won't work as the sub sits in a different area of the room than the rest of my equipment. In other words I have to tweak it every time I switch a source.