What's new

Subs with remotes (1 Viewer)

Doug Smith

Second Unit
I bought this new Velodyne DLS - 4000R. Great sub! But it brings up an interesting problem. With my old JBL I just fired up the Sound & Vision Disc to calibrate it, then left it alone. With the new sub there are four presets, and sub up and down volume. Now when I switch between sources (eg. a movie or a CD) I have to retweak the sub volume. Thankfully I transfered the remote onto my Harmony remote, but it is an extra tweak. An now I have to rely on my ear, or I would be pulling out my meter every time I changed a source.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
So you mean that selecting a different mode, the subwoofer won't select a volume for you automatically?

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I think this would be a plus especially with an all in one remote. I would love to have more imediate control over the sub. Even after calibration they are never perfect as different inputs or even different say Sat. channels with 5.1 come in at different strengths.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
One of my previous subs was like this and I liked it. My subs subsequent to that though never needed adjustments that could not be made with the receiver, and I rarely make any adjustments at all. A good sub that is calibrated should not need frequent tweaking, IMO.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I totally agree with the frequent tweaking but haven't you even been involved with a movie when for some reason you don't want your usual hair raising bass. I think it would be nice to be able to tone that down instantly if you had a all in one remote. I guess what I am missing is that my receiver does not have like a night mode one it which would be the same thing basicly.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Yeah, don't get me wrong, being able to control the sub by remote is a plus, and yes the presets do change volume levels somewhat (the presets are movie, rock, jazz, and a night mode)as well as a volume up/down switch. This new velodyne also allows you to bypass the subs cross over and use your receivers - which I have done. And as someone mentioned, you sometimes have to tweak a sub anyway depending on the source. Now its just too damn easy. And, like someone whith an obsessive compulsive disorder, I find myself doing it everytime I change a source.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I had one for Ref cal, one that was hot for movies, and one for music that was dialed back a bit. Definitely made it easy, but I found myself wanting to tweak it just because it was so easy. I even programmed macros that would select a particular source and select the appropriate preset on the sub at the same time, as well as a startup macro that turned the sub down, just in case I left it on "hot" the last time I was using the system. If I do make adjustments now, it is usually only +/-1dB, so I don't find presets to be much of a benefit.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'm missing the point. I just leveled my sub against my loudspeakers with an SPL meter and Sound&Vision DVD, and then adjust the receiver volume depending on the source...

Why would I want to adjust the sub again if I've already evenly matched outputs? :confused:

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Very simple.. Every sub is going to be different depending on how the source is recorded or transferred irregardless of where you have your settings. Strictly a volume thing. Even the best calibrated subs you have to tone them down a bit for softer music and tone them up a bit and a big bit if you like the low LFE's from a movie hitting you in the chest.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
I programmed the sub's remote into my Harmony remote - but the macro won't work as the sub sits in a different area of the room than the rest of my equipment. In other words I have to tweak it every time I switch a source.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks