Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (Recommended)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
121 replies to this topic

#21 of 122 Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted January 18 2005 - 10:37 AM

It was shot on HD video.
-Jay

#22 of 122 Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,852 posts

Posted January 18 2005 - 11:27 AM

This was one of my favorite movies of '04, looking forward to picking it up.

Great review, Scott!Posted Image

#23 of 122 AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted January 18 2005 - 04:24 PM

Quote:
As long as Paramount assaults us with forced previews, I’ll continue to express my displeasure in reviews.

And I'll chime in my displeasure at this as well. I saw Sky Captain theatrically and really liked it, so the forced trailers won't lower the appeal to the "not worth a purchase" point, but the forced trailers just put a black eye on Paramount's products.

Quote:
There is no theatrical trailer for Sky Captain included on the disc.

Maybe if the trailers shoved in your face each time the disc loads were taken off, there would have been space for the Sky Captain trailers.

Here is an ironic truth Paramount: the greater my ability to ingnore advertisements, the more likely I am to view them. Leave them as a menu option in the bonus features, I'll look at them out of curiosity. Shove them in my face, I'll just look for ways to skip them and only associate what is being advertised with an unnecessary annoyance. What a great way to make a product appealing. Posted Image

#24 of 122 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted January 18 2005 - 07:16 PM

Anyone else had problems with this disc? I had some skipping and freezing on mine towards the end of the movie. I gave the disc a good clean (there was some surface dirt which I'm pretty sure I didn't put there) and it eventually played. However, whilst cleaning it I did notice a faint milky-white patch on the disc towards the outer edge. I'm hoping this is just a harmless anomoly and not the start of layer separation.

Incidentally, I loved the movie and its look, though to be honest I think I'd have liked it even more if they'd kept to their original intention and made it in black and white.

#25 of 122 Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 12:04 PM

I'll go ahead and echo sentiments relating to Paramount's home video products. They are way behind in the game, what with these forced trailers and lack of truly excellent DVD packages for truly excellent films. Where's "The African Queen"? Where's the "Titanic" upgrade?

That said, this is the the "big-time" film that I regret not getting to see in theaters this year. So with the good reviews here, I'll make the blind buy.

#26 of 122 David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted January 19 2005 - 05:20 PM

I'm disappointed that the previs/animatic version of this movie that they shot in pre-production to get the shots down for the actual live action photography in London began wasn't included.
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#27 of 122 Shad R

Shad R

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted January 21 2005 - 11:01 AM

This looks like a cool movie. Blind buy for me. I enjoy MOVIE trailors, even if forced, but I don't like the "comming soon to dvd" trailors..at least they aren't as bad as Universals used to be...Fast and Furious and the Mummy Returns comes to my mind. Yikes, talk about bad promos....any way, I kinda dissapointed that there's no DTS, my friend says it sounded awesome in the theater

#28 of 122 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,596 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 10:57 AM

Anyone know what will be on the Wal-Mart exclusive bonus disc for this title?
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#29 of 122 Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 12:08 PM

Looks like I will go ahead and pick this up as a blind purchase.

Thanks for the review.

For ordinary men, it's a burning, fiery furnace.

#30 of 122 Emmett Maguire

Emmett Maguire

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted January 24 2005 - 06:56 PM

Andrew, as I mentioned in another thread, my copy froze at just past the 62 min. mark. The sound carried on though, which is a first for me. I was staring at Gwyneth Paltrow's head taking up the whole screen while the soundtrack had them on the flying aircraft carrier.

Are there problems with anyone else's copy? I have a Pioneer 578a and it has been problem free so far.

I did enjoy the movie and recommend it to all.

Regards
Emmett

#31 of 122 CharlesD

CharlesD

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 01:26 AM

Quote:
Anyone else had problems with this disc? I had some skipping and freezing on mine towards the end of the movie

Mine froze about 2/3 of the way through the movie. When I pressed FF it started playing again and had no problems with playback.

I missed the movie in the thteaters (commercials, CAPPS codes, idiots with cell phones etc) but loved it on DVD.

#32 of 122 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,859 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 25 2005 - 02:46 AM

Scott, do you have an EX equipped HT setup? I know the disc is labeled as DD 5.1, but the theatrical release was in DD EX, so I'm wondering if the EX track is there, just not labeled as such, or in other words, if it decodes properly into EX.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#33 of 122 Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,451 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 03:36 AM

For those that are wondering, the Wal-Mart bonus disc has includes an extra featurette called "Anatomy of a Virtual Scene" and 3 theatrical trailers, although the third is basically a shortened version of the second.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#34 of 122 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,596 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 04:18 AM

Hmm... the decision to get the Wal-Mart offering is simpler for me since I have this Wal-Mart gift card that I need to use before I forget I have it.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#35 of 122 Travis W.

Travis W.

Second Unit

• 305 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 04:45 AM

I bought mine at Best Buy and it did not contain a chapter insert. Did anyone else receive an insert?

#36 of 122 Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 06:11 AM

As a matter of policy, Paramount has not included an insert with DVDs since January, 2004 (with few exceptions that prove the rule).

-Scott

#37 of 122 Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 06:13 AM

Quote:
Scott, do you have an EX equipped HT setup?

Sorry, I'm not equipped with an EX setup.

-Scott

#38 of 122 Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor

• 740 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 07:06 AM

Quote:
Definite pick up for me...loved it in the theater, though my wife didn't really like it.

My wife was exactly the same way. She was very surprised when I said it was one of my favorite movies this year. Loved it! Will be buying this one for sure!

What is it with wives on this one? I absolutely loved this film, and my wife didn't care for it.

#39 of 122 ToddJ

ToddJ

Second Unit

• 378 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 07:13 AM

Is the stuff on the Wal-Mart disc the same thing that was on the Best Buy disc that they gave out last fall?

#40 of 122 William K

William K

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted January 25 2005 - 07:40 AM

I have to say, I saw this with my wife and a few others from the forum on the last L.A. trip and we watched it in Grauman's Chinese Theater and we thought both the movie and the setting was amazing! I loved the scifi/noir feel of the film.

I might have to buy this just to recall that wonderful experience!

Back to DVD, Blu-ray & Digital Reviews

Forum Nav Content I Follow