DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (Recommended)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Scott Kimball, Jan 17, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Emmett Maguire

My wife really liked this movie. I wasn't able to watch the extras as the disc locked up again or we would have been up half the night. (This is my time to myself normally as my wife sleeps three hours a night more than I)[​IMG]

Regards
    Emmett

2. Jim Barg

Jim Barg Second Unit

No. The featurette is different, and it includes the teaser trailer that wasn't on the Best Buy disc.

3. Porfirio

Porfirio Second Unit

Here's some thing interesting. I think the Wal-Mart bonus disc might have originally been intended as a Best Buy exclusive. According to DVD Profiler, the Disc ID reads: SKY_CAPTAIN_BESTBUY (FBA 146A3)

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

groundbreaking movie if ever there was one. i'm really looking forward to watching this one on my ht ... very loudly i might add.

the visuals are the obvious mind-blower here, but i even liked the story. now how cool is that?

[​IMG]

5. Jonathan

Jonathan Second Unit

The DVD does not show up on my receiver as EX encoded. I had to manually select it on my receiver.

6. Lyle H.

Lyle H. Stunt Coordinator

Sam Goody has this for $19.99 but it came with a free Sky Captain t-shirt.

7. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

I liked this movie alot when I saw it in the theater and liked it even more after watching it a second time tonight.
    I picked it up today at wal-mart(with bonus disc). I watched the movie again and the 2 Brave new world documentaries along with art of sky captain tonight.
    After watching the brave new world docs, I have a new respect for the movie. I was amazed to find out how much of a low budget project this started out as. They really did a nice job with what little budget they were given to do this movie.
    I loved the whole art direction on this movie, the serial feel to it, the futuristic aspect, the way it was shot, everything. This is a very good DVD with nice features, although I have'nt seen all of them yet, the ones I have seen so far are done really well. If you have not seen this movie yet I would definitely recomend it.

8. Porfirio

Porfirio Second Unit

I had the chance to test out the easter egg that I posted earlier today and it didn't work. Anyway, here's the correct process:

9. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

Nice, I will have to check this out when I get home tonight.

10. Heinz W

Heinz W Second Unit

I bought this today as a blind buy and will be watching it shortly. With my wife! [​IMG]

I have the 578a also so I'll look for that at the 62m mark. I haven't had any problems so far with mine either, so we'll see. Did you check to see if it happens again?

11. Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey Second Unit

Terry Hickey
    I just finished watching the disc and I had no problems with it (sony dvd player). I enjoyed it when it came to the theater and am enjoying it now. I would like to see some more adventures but that may not come to pass.

12. Mark H

Mark H Stunt Coordinator

Mark Hyland
    Just ordered the HK release (2 Disc with DTS). Will report my findings when I receive it.

13. Bob_Chase

Bob_Chase Stunt Coordinator

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I thought it was dreadful. I was looking so forward to seeing this but it just didn't deliver for me. Sure the A/V was great, but that novelty quickly wore off about a half hour into it and there wasn't much left to keep me engaged. The lapse in continuity in the beginning lost me and I just couldn't buy into it after that.

14. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

No Bob, you're not alone. I quickly got tired of the whole "sepia" color of the movie and I think it tried too wayyyyy hard to imitate the old "serial" films of the 1950's and failed miserably. Although the picture and sound on the DVD were good, with the exception of the "sepia" color of the movie, it just didn't hold my interest either. I'm glad I didn't waste money on this in the theater.

15. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

I thought the visuals were FANTASTIC, the sound great, the atmosphere perfect, the look and style awesome...and the plot and pacing so-so. Not as fun as the Indiana Jones films, but still pretty good.

16. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

Scott KImbal
    I thought the DVD version of the movie was sporting a 1:78 aspect ratio, instead of the OAR of 1:85?

Is this also not slated for an HD-DVD release in about 8 months?

Ozzie
    P.S. I also loved the movie, but felt we needed more of Jolie!

17. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Frankly, the difference between 1.78:1 and 1.85:1 is not only negligible, but difficult to measure due to overscan. I have no reason to believe that Paramount would release the film in anything other than the OAR. They are very good about aspect ratios, and only seem to deviate on the occasional director requested and approved change (I.E. Star Trek VI).

As for an HD release, I would think any news you've heard would be speculative. Paramount plays releases pretty close to the vest, rarely (if ever) announcing titles that far in advance.

18. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

To anyone here who may know me: Is this film something that I might get any sort of enjoyment from? I'm strangely compelled by all this. Thanks.

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'd risk a rental, fun visuals, light on story.

20. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Not sure if we have the same tastes Jack but I absolutely loved it, it's an attempt to replicate classic serials with state of the art visuals. The first film of it's kind, no sets were built, the actors filmed entirely on green screen and blended into cgi sets. Could be the shape of films to come, eventually the actors themselves will be totally computer generated too.[​IMG]