Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Gone With The Wind - Four Disc Collector's Ed. (VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED).

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

#1 of 265 OFFLINE   Herb Kane

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts

Posted October 25 2004 - 05:40 PM

My Top 25 Noirs:

25. 711 Ocean Drive (1950), 24. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), 23. Desperate (1947), 22. Pushover (1954), 21. The Blue Dahlia (1946), 20. The File on Thelma Jordon (1949), 19. He Ran All the Way (1951), 18. The Asphalt Jungle (1950), 17. The Killing (1956), 16. I Walk Alone (1948),...

#2 of 265 OFFLINE   Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit

• 418 posts
  • LocationBrownsburg, IN

Posted October 25 2004 - 06:58 PM

Dang, I might have to buy this for my wife. I might even watch it myself, but don't tell anybody. Posted Image
IMPERIAL OFFICER: Lord Vader, I can't find the Central Navigational Network!

VADER (points to control panel): This......is CNN.

#3 of 265 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted October 25 2004 - 07:17 PM

with apologies... "As God is my witness, I'll never need to buy this DVD again!" The inclusion of the excellent Turner documentary alone had me sold (I asked about this at the WB chat). The recent interviews with Ms. de Havilland clinched it.
I don't like SPAM!

#4 of 265 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,495 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted October 25 2004 - 07:37 PM

Superb Herb!
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#5 of 265 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,187 posts

Posted October 25 2004 - 07:40 PM

correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the other ultra-resolution restorations done at 2k and thus were only released to theatres (in LA at least) in digital? Since Gone with the Wind has been done in 4k, does that mean 35mm prints can be struck from the digital restoration? Adam

#6 of 265 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,950 posts

Posted October 25 2004 - 08:02 PM

This same 5.1 soundtrack was on the last dvd and is NOT a new mix.

#7 of 265 OFFLINE   Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted October 25 2004 - 08:14 PM

If so, not a bad thing at all. One of the few good things about the old DVD, was the excellence of the 5.1 track. Beautiful clarity, no false distractions from the action, all derived from original prodution elements without anything modern sounding to detract from a great audio experience. I'm sure it's as wonderful as everything else on the release seems to be.

#8 of 265 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted October 25 2004 - 08:35 PM

wow!

thanks Herb.
i'll be properly climbing the walls for the next two weeks until i can get a hold of this myself.

hard to tell from the crappy little mpeg promo about the colors- looked to me like it was still somewhat more consistent to the first DVD release (as opposed to the bright & garish 50th anniversary releases), but i'll take your word for it.

didn't even have to finish reading the review of extras- WB is the best in the business in putting together packages that celebrate classic titles, and the stature of this gave me no doubt the final product would be awe inspiring.

just one question about the packaging itself-
is the digipack oversized (height/width)?
is it going to stick up/out on the shelf much (like MGMs West Side Story/ the Good, The Bad & The Ugly, etc)?

got a good chuckle out of that Keith Posted Image
yeah, it sounds like it will be quite a while before we ever need to buy another copy of this
Hurrah!

#9 of 265 OFFLINE   Scott W.

Scott W.

Second Unit

• 319 posts

Posted October 25 2004 - 09:43 PM

The extras and A/V factors clinched it for me in my mind. I'll also be taking the double dip for this title. Nice review Herb. Scott

#10 of 265 OFFLINE   GeorgePaul

GeorgePaul

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted October 25 2004 - 09:49 PM

Wow. I had all but concluded that no DVD set could beat Star Wars or Return of the King for DVD of the year, but...wow. This one is perhaps the only one that could ever do it. Fellow posters, we HAVE to go on record right now in confirming that this year has been (and probably will always be) the best ever for DVD. Otherworldly.
"Film is not created in a vacuum. Rather, it results from a combination of forces and personalities, coupled with limitations of time, budget, and technology, which all converge in a way that is unique to a moment in time."--Robert Wise

#11 of 265 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,150 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 25 2004 - 09:55 PM

Joe, Are you sure? Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#12 of 265 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,311 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted October 25 2004 - 11:59 PM

Amazing and very comprehensive review, Herb! Any sort of improvement over the last disc would have been wonderful, but this release sounds like it's no short of extraordinary! I knew it would be though, and don't have to worry when Warner is the studio releasing it, under the care of George Feltenstein! I don't think I can wait another two weeks! haha Andy

#13 of 265 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,495 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted October 26 2004 - 12:03 AM

I think we should have him cloned, and the results sent to work for Columbia, Universal, MGM... Posted Image
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#14 of 265 ONLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 6,302 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted October 26 2004 - 12:37 AM

I assume you mean to that date right Herb? Since then, both Titanic and Return Of The King won 11 Oscars.

As hard as it is to believe, I have never seen this film in it's entirety. Looking forward to picking this SE up and rectifying that.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#15 of 265 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,854 posts

Posted October 26 2004 - 12:52 AM

No, I know that they struck 35mm prints of the ultra-resolution Adventures of Robin Hood - I played one last Spring. I'm pretty certain they also struck new prints of Meet Me in St. Louis. They should strike new prints for GwtW, but I was told a couple of weeks ago by WB that they didn't plan to! Posted Image

Read the blog (please): www.bigscreenclassics.com

#16 of 265 OFFLINE   Herb Kane

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts

Posted October 26 2004 - 12:57 AM

Just to be clear, my comments regarding the soundtrack are comparisons to the original mono track that’s also included – for the benefit of those who are quick to dismiss anything but the “original” release. As for whether or not the 5.1 is identical to the previous version, that’s hard to say but the tracks sounded similar, if not identical.
Yes. Herb.
My Top 25 Noirs:

25. 711 Ocean Drive (1950), 24. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), 23. Desperate (1947), 22. Pushover (1954), 21. The Blue Dahlia (1946), 20. The File on Thelma Jordon (1949), 19. He Ran All the Way (1951), 18. The Asphalt Jungle (1950), 17. The Killing (1956), 16. I Walk Alone (1948),...

#17 of 265 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,694 posts

Posted October 26 2004 - 01:17 AM

Wow! Now that's quite a special edition. I've never watched this film in it's entirety either.....guess I'm going to have to now.Posted Image I'll pick it up around Christmas/Boxing day. Excellent review Herb!Posted Image
Recently watched- Sweet Smell Of Success, Hero and the Terror, X-men: Days Of Future Past (The Rogue Cut), The Woman In Black 2: Angel Of Death, Meteor, The Dead(2010), 21, Fighting, (500) Days Of Summer, Breakheart Pass, Hulk, Annabelle, Pompeii 3D, Revenge Of The Ninja, The Cell, Enter The Ninja, American Hustle, As Above So Below

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 3, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 2, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2, Heroes: Season 2, The Pacific, Burn Notice: Season 4, Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection

"I'd hate to take a bite outta you.  You're a cookie full of arsenic."

#18 of 265 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 8,051 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted October 26 2004 - 01:59 AM

VERY excited for this film. It is my wifes' Star Wars and LOTR rolled into one, and the presentation and extras look incredible. Definitely a major contender for DVD of the year. GREAT review of a top-notch title, Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#19 of 265 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,808 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted October 26 2004 - 02:26 AM

Epic review Herb, a fabulous package for what is still probably the greatest Hollywood film of all time. Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#20 of 265 OFFLINE   Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted October 26 2004 - 03:02 AM

Wow, this dvd has a lot of extra. I been meaning to see Gone with the Wind again, since the last time I saw it was in middle school (about ten years ago). And if anyone tries to say bad stuff about me for buying this dvd, I just say "Franky my dear, I don't give a damn" and leave. Posted Image

Great review HerbPosted Image
I need a new signature.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users