What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Gone With The Wind - Four Disc Collector's Ed. (VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Ive been waiting for this release forever! Picking this up release day with a few others on my list.

Cant wait but Nov 9th is another day! :)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Herb. I cannot *wait* to get this set!!! There's gonna be a Gone With the Wind Party at my place :D :D :D

I'm so glad that the color and compression/EE problems with the first disc are fixed with this edition. I'm extatic...I can only imagine how good it may look given the gorgeous DVDs we've seen with Singing in the Rain, Robin Hood, and Meet Me in St. Louis.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Totally agree. Thank you Herb.

Steve and I have been talking about this one via PM's for a spell now. I can't wait for this one.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

great!
thanks Herb.
due to the image of it on the trailer, and the presence of the souvenir program, i thought it may have been much larger-
and unwieldily.

your comments about the depth/dimensionality of the image have me very excited.
it always amazes me that we can get images with this (attribute to them) from lowly NTSC.
its also releases like this that make me feel much better about having 'sidegraded' to another XGA projector

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Hmmm...perhaps there should be a campaign to get GWTW elected as DVD of the year. It could be a more interesting race than the Presidential election!

I have a little question, Herb, are the mini-bios of the supporting players text or video-based? I'd imagine text, but I was curious.

Bill Marsh

Agent
If the movie is on 2 discs that must mean that the bit-rate has been bumped up from the older DVD. This is great because 4:3 discs need all the bit-rate possible to look their best. I was a bit disappointed with GIANT for its presentation quality but was happy it WAS released in dvd format. This ia a definite double-dip for me. Question for anyone---is it possible for non-anamorphic transfers to reach same bit-rate per square inch as anamorphic or is that something that will have to wait for HD-DVD????

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Interesting question.

At the same bit-rate, a non-anamorphic *letterbox* transfer is actually using more-bits-per-image than a true 16x9 image...because there are fewer active pixels with changing picure content to compress. This was one of the (bad) excuses used by Criterion and Fox when they kept on releasing 4x3 lbxed transfers.

At the same bit-rate, a full-frame 4x3 image uses the same amount of compression-per-pixel as a full-frame 16x9 image because both image contain the same number of total pixels and all are being used for active picture content.

As far as DVD goes...the format has exactly 720 x 480 pixels to work with...fit into either a 4x3 or 16x9 frame. In terms of 1.33:1 image and a 1.77:1 image of equal total surface area, the two image would have exactly the same resolution on DVD...the 4x3 encoded 1.33:1 image and the 16x9 1.77:1 image.

The key to that above statement making sense is considering two image of exactly the same *surface area*. If we have a fixed distance from our viewing screen...and we view an image with constant height...then comparing the 1.33 image to the 1.77 image would make the 1.33 image look more detailed because it's smaller in overall surface area...the pixels density is increased because the 4x3 image is smaller on the 16x9 screen.

If we have a display that's constant height (like a 4x3 display), then the 1.77:1 image would appear more detailed because all the available pixels are being displayed in a tighter area...the 16x9 image is *smaller* than the 1.33:1 image when viewed on a 4x3 screen...so (assuming you're watching the full-res 16x9 version) it would appear more detailed because of its greater pixel density.

The ultimate solution would be to encode all images with square pixels in such a way that the pixel density remains constant...but you'd have to define how the images would be displayed relative to each other in order to keep the "inch per inch" resolution the same. For instance, if you consider the reference system to have a constant height/vary width screen, then all images you digitally scan should have constant height (like 1080) with the width varying...increasing...as the aspect ratio of the image gets wider. In this scenario, a 1.77:1 HD image would be 1920 x 1080, but a 2.35:1 HD image would be 2538 x 1080 pixels.

That describes having the same resolution-per-square-inch.

Now, when you refer to having the same "bit rate" per square inch...are you asking what it would take so that certain areas of the image would not be compressed more than other areas of the image? That essentially would be an uncompressed image...which will likely never happen (an uncompressed 720 x 480 movie would get about 5 minutes on a standard DVD disc!!!). But what WILL happen is more advanced compression codecs will be utilized on future formats...such as HDDVD, that hopefully will reduce artifacting to the point that the eye cannot reliably detect a difference from the uncompressed original.

Ok...getting way to technical and way too off track!

-dave :)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I've got only one word about this disc and the review (pardon the all caps here, mods): WOW!!!!!

I've got to go with George's comments above, this is going to be THE DVD of the year, hands down. Blows the "Star Wars Trilogy" away by light years, and it'll definitely give ROTK: EE a major run for its money.

The only other little bit that would have topped it all off would have been a little snippet about the film's widescreen release during the 60's and perhaps even a brief glimpse of footage from that release for comparison's sake. Otherwise, GWTW will definitely be on my wish list of must-own DVDs. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
As long as this film is, I'd sure like to see the near 6-hour original cut, but I doubt if that would ever be possible.

DustinPizarro

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent review Herb!!! Looks like I'll be selling the old snapper case to make room for this one. As one of the great films of all time, this is one of those movies that is simply stunning to watch. With the sets, costumes, beautiful cinematography, and wonderful performances, I simply lose track of time. After your impressions of the video in your review, I just can't wait to see how the restoration does the film justice.
My only regret is that the 5.1 soundtrack is similar to the original release. To my ears this film never sounded good in 5.1. But at least the original mono track is still intact and I usually use the 5ch stereo setup on my receiver to liven the score. November 9 can't come soon enough!

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Nothing shocking. If you read that huge Gone with the Wind thread, we've been saying it's the DVD of the year even since it was announced.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
I kept up with the thread...it didn't describe the special features in detail or rate the transfer, though. Question marks were still there, but now...if you're not shocked, blown away or left in awe by some part of this new four-disc set of Gone With the Wind, then check your pulse, because the DVD format just doesn't do it for you.

Brenda M

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm, maybe it is time I finally get this and watch the classic. I have only seen clips of this movie. It always sounded unworthy to have to see it on a televison screen for the first time.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"While the previous version has a rather muted look..."

This I find almost mind boggling, almost hard to imagine or believe. I'm a fan of GWTW going back to the 80's, and I saw the 50th anniversary release in theaters, I've owned numerous home video incarnations by now, from vhs to laser to DVD, and the last DVD release was quite bold in the use of colors -- compared to what I grew up with. If this new DVD makes the last DVD look "muted", then it must be something to behold, although I am cautious...too much color can make the cast look like they just walked off the set of the Oompa Loompa factory in Willy Wonka. I am intrigued -- should be something see.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
By the way, my respect for DaViD's knowledge seems to grow on a weekly basis. Thank you for your comments, Mr. Boulet. We're all the better for your participation here -- you are an invaluable voice on the HTF.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Are there no OUTAKES, I thought that there was going to be extra footage, or did I MISS SOMETHING in the revue ??

Chris*W

Stunt Coordinator
Wow Herb; your review says it all. This set will probably be the best of the year (a close tie w/ Star Wars and LTGC vol. 2)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks