Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Option B... PB2-Ultra

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
119 replies to this topic

#1 of 120 steve nn

steve nn

Screenwriter

• 2,420 posts

Posted September 23 2004 - 12:15 PM

With the shipping date getting ever so close on the new Black PB2-Ultra, I was wondering "Who's in the boat on this one"? Any takers out there? What were your reasons for doing so? Do you run a SVS sub now or have you in the past? Any pics?

As for myself, I sold my three 25-31CS+'s and QSC 1450 amp so I could go for the new black 2-U. Come to think of it, I sent the PC-Ultra back also. All subs have proven to be great performers and I have full confidence in the PB2-Ultra. As for reasoning? I want dual Ultra drivers along with the filter and built in Bash amp. This will enable me to run in the 16-20-25Hz tune as I see fit, depending on material and have the needed headroom to do so.

Here is a pic of my last set-up (Thank you for your help yet once again Ed) and as you can see I need a little headroom with placement being so close to openings. There is another entrance and opening to the left not shown also.
http://www.hometheat....hreadid=204166

#2 of 120 Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted September 23 2004 - 12:19 PM

I will order a PB2-Ultra in black before the initial period is up (probably this weekend actually). Just too good of a deal to pass up. I figure this will probably be my last sub. Posted Image
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#3 of 120 steve nn

steve nn

Screenwriter

• 2,420 posts

Posted September 23 2004 - 12:35 PM

I figure this will probably be my last sub.
__________________________________________________ ____

Do you really think so Kevin?Posted Image Well thats what you told your wife anyway.Posted Image

It definitely would be a good choice in a last sub though. No denying that.

#4 of 120 lyradWong

lyradWong

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted September 23 2004 - 03:40 PM

Upgrade bug will not stop.

Congratulate StevePosted Image

#5 of 120 Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted September 23 2004 - 06:24 PM

I had my last sub for about 4 years. One reason why it took me so long to decide to change (I have actually been eyeing the PB2+ since last fall), is somehow getting rid of the old one. (Size and weight: about 18" cube, 80 lbs.) The PB2-Ultra is so much bigger and heavier, it will probably take me at least twice as long to ever consider getting rid of it. Posted Image
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#6 of 120 Jon W.

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted September 23 2004 - 06:40 PM

I want one so bad but just not gonna be able to raise the cash.Posted Image

#7 of 120 Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted September 24 2004 - 12:45 AM

I'm in the same boat as Jon W. I'll buy one however, it's just a matter of when(probably Jan/Feb 05).

#8 of 120 Matt G.

Matt G.

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted September 24 2004 - 01:26 AM

I am upgrading my PB2-Plus for the PB2-Ultra. I loved my Plus, but I want to know I have the very best that SVS offers in terms of quality bass. I hope its my last sub too.

I sold the Plus a few weeks ago...it is an agonizing wait without SVS bass!

#9 of 120 KeithY

KeithY

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted September 24 2004 - 01:59 AM

Various pb2 ultra photos

I have a fairly large room, 18ftx35ft with 14ft vaulted
ceiling and 3lrg openings into other rooms. The 2ultra
more than fills the room...and the house...and the
yard...and the neighbors yard...

My wife loves the color(white oak) but not the size, she
still say it looks like a little fridge.

#10 of 120 KevinHunt

KevinHunt

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted September 24 2004 - 03:31 AM

I just yesterday sold my PB2-ISD for the express reason of picking up the Ultra. I still have my pair of trusty 46CS+s though so luckily I'm not bassless. Hey I've got to watch the trilogy this weekend Posted Image
-Kevin

#11 of 120 SandellV

SandellV

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted September 24 2004 - 04:09 AM

yeah...im waiting for the pb2 ultra too...i hope they will ship before the oct 1 deadline....i currently have 2 klipsch rsw 15s, and the pb2 plus (i sold it to my neighbor down the street..but his wife made him return it...oh well...ill keep it)....i will post pics of all the subs together when i get the ultra...

#12 of 120 Scott Goldsmith

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts

Posted September 24 2004 - 06:08 PM

I am also waiting for the Ultra, I sold off my dual 20-39 CS's to fund it. I have had 3 cylinders, the dual CS's and a 20-39 PC+, they all amazed me everytime, I can't even begin to imagine the PB2-Ultra, it's my first box sub from SVS, so I will see Posted Image

#13 of 120 steve nn

steve nn

Screenwriter

• 2,420 posts

Posted September 24 2004 - 09:26 PM

>>Upgrade bug will not stop.

Congratulate Steve <<...Thank you lyradWong and your post reflects insight when bitten by such a bug.
__________________________________________________ __

>>The PB2-Ultra is so much bigger and heavier, it will probably take me at least twice as long to ever consider getting rid of it.<< Lets see, that gives SVS eight years to come up with another upgrade option that would give you cause Kevin.Posted Image I cant imagine what they will be offering by then.

>>I want one so bad but just not gonna be able to raise the cash.Posted Image<<...Good things take time and maybe the Sub Gods will have mercy? You just never know and there are other great less costly options Jon.Posted Image

>>I'll buy one however, it's just a matter of when(probably Jan/Feb 05).<<...I can think of worse ways to start out the new year. Hope things go your way ShanePosted Image

>>I sold the Plus a few weeks ago...it is an agonizing wait without SVS bass!<<...That would be hard Matt! Please accept my condolencesPosted Image Do you think a guy needs a spare sub as much as he needs a spare tire??Posted Image

>>http://photobucket.c...weezR/PB2Ultra/<<...
Very nice Keith and definitely a good size room. From your description of the PB2-Ultra and considering the duty it has to pull in your room. It surly will handle my 2880^ 12 X 24 X 10' with ease,no question about it.

>>I just yesterday sold my PB2-ISD for the express reason of picking up the Ultra. I still have my pair of trusty 46CS+s though so luckily I'm not bassless. Hey I've got to watch the trilogy this weekend<<...Posted ImageNow thats funny KevinH, but I like your reasoning though. I'm just limping along with one 25-31CS+ that is sold when the 2-U arrives. Actually it does a very good job on it's own to be honest with you. I also have a order in for the new PB10-ISD:b I think we can relate Posted Image
__________________________________________________ ___

>>the pb2 plus (i sold it to my neighbor down the street..but his wife made him return it...oh well...ill keep it)....i will post pics of all the subs together when i get the ultra...<<...WAF can add a whole new dimension to the equation Sandell. I never will forget when I brought home my second Velodyne ct-150Posted Image We're talking some major pain but the sub stayed. Are you related to KevinHPosted Image

>>dual CS's and a 20-39 PC+, they all amazed me everytime, I can't even begin to imagine the PB2-Ultra, it's my first box sub from SVS, so I will see<<...My first box style to Scott. I had a AV-15 built for me once that was close to the same size as the 2-U. So I have a good idea what to expect in size. Think big, but remember its for a good reason. It all equates out in the performance the PB2-Ultra will exhibit, as I'm sure you know.

#14 of 120 Jon W.

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 06:05 AM

Quote:
Good things take time and maybe the Sub Gods will have mercy? You just never know and there are other great less costly options Jon.

Well I have two Klipsch KSW-15s now and they provide serious impact but don't have the sound quality I'm looking for. It's just a matter of time before I sell them. I would like to get the Ultra to improve quality and not lose impact. Sadly the B4 is way outta my price range and entirely to huge for my room.

#15 of 120 terence

terence

Supporting Actor

• 985 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 08:14 AM

Congrats Steve! Posted Image

I'm happy for you buddy, even though i really wanted to see the 4 25-31CS+'s set-up is now no more than a dream. Oh well can't wait to hear your thoughts when you get your PB2-U running.
Tee

"Enjoy Movies & Music."

My Home Theater

#16 of 120 steve nn

steve nn

Screenwriter

• 2,420 posts

Posted September 25 2004 - 05:55 PM

>>It's just a matter of time before I sell them. I would like to get the Ultra to improve quality and not lose impact.<<

Never have listened to the KSW-15 but from what I hear, your not sitting that bad off are you Jon with dual? I mean it should hold you over until the timing is right? Admittedly the PB2-Ultra would be a big improvement but you could be running allot worse than the KSW's. I do run reference Klipsch speakers though.

>>I'm happy for you buddy, even though i really wanted to see the 4 25-31CS+'s set-up is now no more than a dream.<<

How nice to hear from you Terence and Thank you my friend. It's been awhile hasn't it? I guess it was a dream. 4 25-31CS+s colocated would have had a edge over the B4+ powered accordingly but you know how it is.Posted Image Watch SVS come out with a three TV-12 driver sub next. No, I think/bet they have something else in mind?? It will then be your turnPosted Image

#17 of 120 Ned

Ned

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted September 26 2004 - 03:32 AM

B8 Ultra Posted Image

#18 of 120 steve nn

steve nn

Screenwriter

• 2,420 posts

Posted September 26 2004 - 05:05 AM

B8 Ultra Posted Image
__________________________________________________ _____

With the added $500 shipping conus it would presentPosted Image

#19 of 120 Jon W.

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted September 26 2004 - 05:48 AM

Yeah steve, you pretty much nailed it. I guess the biggest thing I'm after is response below 25 Hz.

#20 of 120 steve nn

steve nn

Screenwriter

• 2,420 posts

Posted September 26 2004 - 06:42 AM

I guess the biggest thing I'm after is response below 25 Hz.
__________________________________________________ _____

I can sure understand that Jon and what a difference it makes. With selling both of your KSWs and a few $$hundred, you ought to do fairly well in a SVS option that would be a very nice upgrade?