Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Sony's Blu-Ray accepts WM9

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
74 replies to this topic

#1 of 75 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,418 posts

Posted September 02 2004 - 02:58 AM

http://story.news.ya....soft_bluray_dc

IMO, this gives Blu-Ray a leg up in the format war with HD-DVD. It means that HD-DVD can't claim use of a more efficient codec, or better picture quality on that basis.

#2 of 75 Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted September 02 2004 - 03:58 AM

Cool. HUGE news. Now, they just need to get studio support. This could get interesting or really ugly. I'm betting they don't want to be Beta all over again.

The capacity of Blu-Ray and the efficiency of the Microsoft codec would be great for consumers.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#3 of 75 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted September 02 2004 - 04:00 AM

Robert, as I was reading about this in yesterday's Los Angeles Times, I was wondering why no one at a 50,000-strong site devoted to home theater hadn't posted regarding this important subject. Thanks for alleviating my concern.

At the least, there's going to be a format war. I just hope for the market's sake that both formats can find their appropriate niches. The general public, most of which still has not even heard of HDTV, is going to be very, very confused if new discs that don't sport the DVD Forum's logo start appearing on the shelves.

Somehow, because of this, I think HD-DVD will prevail, since the public is so familiar with those three important letters: D-V-D. Blu-ray, even if superior, will throw them for a loop.

#4 of 75 Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,695 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted September 02 2004 - 04:46 AM

I agree Jack. The DVD trademark will really sell the product. And I don't think major retailers will pick up Blu-Ray at first. But they will likely sell HDVD almost immediately.

#5 of 75 Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted September 02 2004 - 04:54 AM

Somehow I think Sony will incorporate 'DVD' with the term 'Blu-Ray'. Maybe something like "Blu-Ray DVD" or "B-DVD".

Btw dumb question: Blu-Ray is actually hi-def is it not? Or is it merely a larger storage capacity format?

#6 of 75 Brian-W

Brian-W

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted September 02 2004 - 05:13 AM

Quote:
Somehow, because of this, I think HD-DVD will prevail, since the public is so familiar with those three important letters: D-V-D.

Not if they go into (insert store name) and find one HD-DVD player (Toshiba - NEC doesn't make consumer equipment), and the salesman says "but we have another HD-DVD called Blu-Ray, and we have players from Sony, Panasonic, Zenith, RCA, LG, Samsung, Pioneer, etc."

The other thing is that people will likely associate any HD optical format as "HD-DVD" just like people who want to overnight a package usually say "Fedex it" even if they mean another carrier (USPS, UPS, DHL, etc.)
* No longer looking for Hi-Vision Laserdiscs *
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#7 of 75 Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted September 02 2004 - 05:43 AM

The one advantage HD-DVD has over Blu-Ray is that it's supposed to have a 6 month head start in the market.

#8 of 75 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,418 posts

Posted September 02 2004 - 06:11 AM

"Blu-Ray" does have a certain nice, marketable ring to it. Maybe they will find a way to make it sound like DVD. There are many factors that will go into the success of each format: Marketing, studio support, fabrication costs, robustness, etc. etc.

#9 of 75 Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted September 02 2004 - 06:18 AM

I'm going to start a band called Blu-Ray and the Widescreens. Posted Image

#10 of 75 jonathan_little

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted September 02 2004 - 08:21 AM

Hmm, are these players going to require 2ghz processors in them to decode the crap?

#11 of 75 Shane D

Shane D

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted September 02 2004 - 09:40 AM

my concern is microsoft getting their hands into it. not really something I want to see.

#12 of 75 Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts

Posted September 02 2004 - 12:15 PM

A 2ghz processor will be worth less than $25 in about 12 months...that shouldn't be an issue. Of course, it won't matter what it actually costs to produce these HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players, the fact is that they will cost in the thousands when they are first released.

-Dennis
He must have died while carving it!...

#13 of 75 ChrisJefferys

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted September 02 2004 - 12:42 PM

Quote:
Of course, it won't matter what it actually costs to produce these HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players, the fact is that they will cost in the thousands when they are first released.

Yep, I saw a Blu-Ray recorder for sale in Japan last November and it cost over $4000.00. I think that since then, they are already down to about $2000.00 though.

#14 of 75 Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted September 02 2004 - 02:13 PM

Quote:
Somehow I think Sony will incorporate 'DVD' with the term 'Blu-Ray'. Maybe something like "Blu-Ray DVD" or "B-DVD"
It has been mentioned somewhere that Sony wants to move away from the term DVD. I believe if they incorporated it, they would have to pay the dvd consortium something IIRC. I need to find the quote to back this up though.
Quote:
Somehow, because of this, I think HD-DVD will prevail, since the public is so familiar with those three important letters: D-V-D
I think people said the same thing about Dvd AUdio and that hasn't really helped.

For some reason I see the HD DVD market shaking out like the SACD/DVD audio market in that we'll have universal players coming out to support both. I won't be buying the first gen players that is for sure.

#15 of 75 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted September 02 2004 - 03:20 PM

Well, you're at least correct on one count for sure: Sony execs have made it clear that they do not like paying out a few pennies to Warner Brothers for each DVD sold. But with this obstinate approach I think Sony is setting itself up for another Betamax sort of embarrassment. And maybe that's where Blu-ray might shine, the way professional Betamax still lives. That is, as a video tool for professionals.

Who knows, though. I just want to see high-def make itself a viable format on an optical disc. And the public still is experiencing DVD mania.

#16 of 75 Joe Schwartz

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit

• 449 posts

Posted September 02 2004 - 03:52 PM

Even though we're still heading for a format war, this is great news! Now Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are on a much more even footing.

Quote:
Blu-Ray is actually hi-def is it not? Or is it merely a larger storage capacity format?
Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are both high-def formats, in addition to providing higher storage capacity.

Quote:
Hmm, are these players going to require 2ghz processors in them to decode the crap?
You'll need a fast CPU to play them on a computer (if we ever see Blu-Ray or HD-DVD computer drives), but the stand-alone Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players will use dedicated hardware decoder chips instead of general-purpose CPUs.

#17 of 75 Joshua_W

Joshua_W

Second Unit

• 477 posts

Posted September 02 2004 - 06:00 PM

Quote:
For some reason I see the HD DVD market shaking out like the SACD/DVD audio market in that we'll have universal players coming out to support both. I won't be buying the first gen players that is for sure.

I'm thinking the same thing, that we'll be seeing Combo players that can handle both formats. They're both going to be five inch discs, aren't they? It's not like cassettes where you have two different-sized cases, so it may not turn into a Beta vs VHS unless the Blu-Ray folks won't allow hardware manufacturers to make players that can handle both formats.

On the other hand, Sony does sort of tend to want to produce proprietary formats like Beta that tend to bite them in the ass in the short run.

#18 of 75 Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted September 02 2004 - 11:03 PM

And since they're sing the same codecs, they could use the same decoder hardware. You'd just need a multi-wavelength laser and a computer that understands the file structure of both formats.
My Collection

#19 of 75 David Forbes

David Forbes

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted September 03 2004 - 04:15 AM

Wow, lots of wrong and outdated info here. I'm off to lunch but will post info later this afternoon.
David Forbes

Read excerpts from book three in my fantasy series at www.davidforbes.net.

#20 of 75 JackKay

JackKay

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted September 03 2004 - 04:32 AM

Here is an article with information that is quite clear and that even I can understand:

http://www.videobusi....8&catType=NEWS

Let me know if the link has problems.
"I believe in censorship. After all, I made a fortune out of it." -Mae West

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow