Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Shall We Dance? - Both available now

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 of 54 OFFLINE   Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor

• 883 posts

Posted August 07 2004 - 02:54 AM

Posted Image

#2 of 54 OFFLINE   AlanP

AlanP

Supporting Actor

• 758 posts

Posted August 07 2004 - 06:10 AM

FINALLY !!!!!! Any specs ? Long or short version ??

#3 of 54 OFFLINE   David McIntosh

David McIntosh

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted August 07 2004 - 08:49 AM

It's the short version, unfortunately. Posted Image

See:

http://www.dvdtimes....contentid=12376

#4 of 54 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted August 07 2004 - 10:45 AM

I've seen the "long" version, and I'll have to agree with Miramax. The scenes that were cut didn't really add much of anything to the film. Granted, the viewer should decide, not the studio, but I think Miramax actually did right this time around.

#5 of 54 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,336 posts

Posted August 08 2004 - 10:39 AM

It's tied in with the release of the US version, with Richard Gere, Jennifer Lopez, and Susan Sarandon. That's one way to get Miramax to release its Asian film cache.

#6 of 54 OFFLINE   Keith I

Keith I

FoS

• 1,002 posts
  • LocationFive-Oh!

Posted September 13 2004 - 12:08 AM

I was looking around the 'net for preorder information and both Amazon and DVD Planet both say this title is no longer on the schedule. DVD Planet's site says it's "Cancelled." This makes me worried as if it was announced then removed. It was a perfect tie-in to the upcoming remake. DVD Empire, Digital Eyes, and Deep Discount DVD also don't have it listed.

I hope it's just mixed signals and that the release date still stands, but with five major retailers not listing it, I was getting worried. I also just got rid of my laserdisc recently (my player is going on the fritz, anyway - looking for positive reinforcement in my disappointment I guess).

But what's making me optimistic is that it's still listed on Buena Vista's Web site.

#7 of 54 OFFLINE   Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor

• 992 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 01:52 AM

So nice that they couldn't bother to show Asian faces on the sleeve, or any other indication that this is a Japanese film. Do they figure people might think the Gere-Lopez version is out on video already? Then again, given the number of times I've been in video stores and overheard people asking for movies that were still in theatrical release, I suppose it could be a clever move on the part of Miramaxe to sucker a few extra people. That cover is absolutely lame.

#8 of 54 OFFLINE   BryanV

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 02:57 AM

That is the same cover that was on the Video release I think.

#9 of 54 OFFLINE   Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor

• 992 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 03:35 AM

I remember that. What a shame. Even then they were afraid to use original art. I lump this in with the short-lived habit of sticking sunglasses on Chow Yun-fat and Jet Li on the posters for some of their American films, while their co-stars got the full-face treatment.

#10 of 54 OFFLINE   Keith I

Keith I

FoS

• 1,002 posts
  • LocationFive-Oh!

Posted September 13 2004 - 09:10 AM

I don't know what the original Japanese cover art looks like but this is the original video cover art that Miramax used for VHS and laserdisc.

I've also sent a message to BVHV (video.com) and asked them about the release of this on DVD so let's see what they say...

#11 of 54 OFFLINE   Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor

• 521 posts

Posted September 13 2004 - 06:34 PM

I don't know, but the Japanese LD looks like this

The scan of my LaserDisc from LDDB.com
Shall We Dance? (1995) [DLZ-0203]

Posted Image
--/
tkmedia

Blu-Ray, HD DVD, WMV-HD DVD-ROM, D-Theater D-VHS, D5HD, HDCAM, W-VHS, MUSE LD, HDVS LD.
-too much recorded HD not enough time.

#12 of 54 OFFLINE   Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor

• 992 posts

Posted September 14 2004 - 01:22 AM

See, now that's a clever sleeve design. Looks like something Criterion would put together if they released the film. Sure beats generic dancing legs.

#13 of 54 OFFLINE   Keith I

Keith I

FoS

• 1,002 posts
  • LocationFive-Oh!

Posted September 14 2004 - 09:56 AM

I got this reply from Buena Vista Home Entertainment today:

Dear Keith,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding SHALL WE DANCE?. We appreciate your interest.

We do not have a release date for SHALL WE DANCE? at this time.

Please visit our website at

www.video.com

for further details.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Regards,

BVHE Consumer Relations
US and Canada

I wrote back and said www.video.com does list a release date of 10/12 though. There goes the tie-in to the upcoming remake and the opportunity for people who could have seen this gem of a movie to appreciate a great movie (for now). I hope it gets released relatively soon.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 of 54 OFFLINE   Keith I

Keith I

FoS

• 1,002 posts
  • LocationFive-Oh!

Posted September 15 2004 - 03:59 AM

The customer service rep who answered my e-mail back misunderstood my message but I was very clear about asking about the Japanese version in my message. This is the response I got: A DVD release date has not been scheduled at this time. The theatrical release is scheduled for October. Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us. Regards, BVHE Consumer Relations US and Canada This response was regarding the remake, so I replied clarifying that I was referring to the Japanese version. We'll see what they say THEN...

#15 of 54 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,669 posts

Posted September 15 2004 - 04:57 AM

Man, this really frosts my strawberries. The second time in under a year that one of my two top wants from Miramax gets cancelled without explanation, after getting an official street date (this also happened with MICROCOSMOS back in December '03).

SHALL WE DANCE? was a hit when it was imported in 1996/97 (and was released on Divx!). The remake (also from Miramax!) hits theaters in October. All the marketing planets are in alignment, and yet, *phffft!* the DVD is cancelled!

This makes little sense to me. Unless, somehow, they decided to go back and restore the film to its full running time (as they did with CINEMA PARADISO), and/or record an optional dub track, and/or hand the title over to Criterion...or else, maybe they want to tie the 1996 film with the DVD debut of the remake, months from now.

Still, a lousy way to treat those customers who've been waiting for the film's DVD debut for years now. Posted Image Posted Image

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#16 of 54 OFFLINE   AlanP

AlanP

Supporting Actor

• 758 posts

Posted September 15 2004 - 10:24 AM

I wonder what happened, all set to go then .......... Maybe, they thought, that people would not go see JELLO !!!!!!!!!! I wish they would have cast ZETA-JONES and Gere together again !!!!!!!

#17 of 54 OFFLINE   Keith I

Keith I

FoS

• 1,002 posts
  • LocationFive-Oh!

Posted September 15 2004 - 05:41 PM

The first reply that I posted might be referring to the upcoming remake. I resent my message referring them to:

http://video.movies....ts/3824303.html

I asked them if this version is still coming out on 10/12.

However, the reply above could also hold true for both the 1997 version and obviously the remake since it hasn't even arrived in theaters. It is strange that (if true) this title was pulled from the release schedule with no announcement, no fanfare, so under the radar, as if it was on purpose.

It would be heavenly if Criterion were to release this...

#18 of 54 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted September 16 2004 - 03:59 AM

I'm a big fan of this film, but I don't think this would be something that Criterion would work on.

#19 of 54 OFFLINE   Keith I

Keith I

FoS

• 1,002 posts
  • LocationFive-Oh!

Posted September 16 2004 - 07:51 AM

And here is the nail in the coffin... the latest reply from Buena Vista: Keith, We apologize for the misunderstanding. A release of the original Japanese version has not been scheduled at this time. Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us. Regards, BVHE Consumer Relations US and Canada

#20 of 54 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted September 16 2004 - 08:25 AM

What. The. Fuck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users