What's new

Shall We Dance? - Both available now (1 Viewer)

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
How long is the uncut version? The DVD runs 119 minutes. Can't remember if that's the length of the laserdisc, which I can't get to at this moment.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I've seen the uncut version, and I actually prefer the Miramax version.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
While several major online retailers only list the 2004 remake, I was able to order the R1 DVD of the 1996 version from Digital Eyes the other day, and recieved e-mail confirmation that it has shipped, so color me optimistic. :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Still, what a weird, unfocused marketing strategy from Miramax for this exceptional film. :frowning:

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Well, it didn't come out in the past year, and it's a foreign film. Did you honestly expect TV commercials for it? If not, what did you expect?

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald

Thomas,

I didn't expect TV commercials, no, but I did expect fairly uniform availability from the major retailers (both brick & mortar and online), since it's a new-to-DVD title from a major home video entity, Miramax, and is tied-in with the 2004 re-make, also from Miramax. This compounded by the fact that there is a commercial, of sorts, for the 1996 film on the DVD of the 2004 remake (it precedes the remake's menu screen).

Many of the big retailers don't seem to carry it. The general manager who does the buying at my local Blockbuster told me her distributor listed the 02/01/05 release date for the 1996 film as "cancelled". Deep Discount DVD still doesn't have it available on their website. Some of the other major online stores list it as available now, but a day ago, some, like DVD Planet, still had it listed in "TBA" limbo, rather than with a 02/01/05 street date.

As I posted above, it looks like I'll be receiving my copy soon, and the film's availability online seems to be on more solid ground now, but it appears Miramax Home Entertainment's marketing/distribution of this title was somewhat on the sloppy side. Announced for October 2004 release, then cancelled, then re-announced for February 2005 release, then cancelled, except it wasn't really cancelled, some stores have it, others don't list it in their inventory at all.

All's well that ends well, but I don't recall this sort of thing happening when Dreamworks gave us THE RING and RINGU on the same day. Similar situation, minus the on-again/off-again confusion.

I didn't really intend to go on this much of a rant about it, but hey, you asked... :)

Allen>B

Agent
I bought the original and rented the us version.

WOW, did they ever drop the ball on the remake.

(spoilers ahead)

A few things that really thru me:

First the positive:

I liked what they did with the investigators assistant character. In the end I found him the most interesting thing in the movie : )

I liked the mandatory big happy ending scene. (except that they left out the assistant)

Now just a sample of the cons:

The movie seemed to forget all the best parts of the original. Like a photocopy that left all the details out.

They turned the owner of the dance studio into a closet drinker. They turned the tough girl into a nightmare. They turned one of his buddies gay. They added a son and did nothing with him. I never got the true idea behind wig-man the original did. In fact making him aggressive (see next point)

They had wig-man fly a huge "F you all!" to his entire work group immediately turning this movie from something the whole family could watch (like the original) into something the whole family can't watch. WTF were they thinking of?

In the scene where he steps on her dress and it comes off, the whole point was that he was SAVING her. A great noble act. In the US version he's just dumb and steps on it by accident. Why would they remove such a great aspect of the film? Why did they even bother with the embarrassment scene? "Sorry I stepped on your dress" "that's ok". Great idea over her understanding that he had to make that motion to save her from being injured?

I really could go on, (most of the movie miss-cast) but as long as the original finally hit wide screen DVD I'm happy : )

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Got the original today at Borders for just $14.99, just finished watching it again. It holds up to multiple viewings quite well. :emoji_thumbsup:

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Sticking to the topic of the DVD (instead of a original vs. remake topic which should be in the Movies thread), I haven't gotten mine yet, so could someone comment on the audio and video quality of either or both of the DVDs? Thanks.
-

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I was going to start an entirely new
thread on this movie two days ago. I am
happy to see that someone else did.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that my girlfriend forced
me to watch this piece of drivel with her
last week.

My aim isn't to come into this thread and
be a flamer (I don't see anyone particularly
praising this film). I just want to warn
people that this film is pretty awful.
Everybody is just walking through the
motions throughout. Performances fall
flat and there is absolutely no energy
to be seen anywhere -- particularly from J-Lo
who sulks through the entire movie showing
a constant puss on her face.

I'm sorry to rant, but I had to sit through
this film for nearly 2 hours and that is time
I'll never get back.

I would hope the asian version is much better
than this.

RossMan

Stunt Coordinator
uh, yes... the japanese original is ten times the movie that the crap US version.

ross

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Wow, Ron, I didn't think the remake was that bad. Give the original a try.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
The remake did what all American remakes of superior films do: They changed everything that worked about the Japanese film.

Ron, the original film is one of the best films of the nineties and if you're a film buff you really must watch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks