Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Garden State DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 Jimmy Kustes

Jimmy Kustes

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted July 11 2004 - 03:47 PM

From the writer/director/actor Zaff Braff:

"We're working on tv spots and believe it or not, we're already working on the dvd. There are gonna be so many phat extras. Nat and Peter and I are getting together to record the commentary next week. And there's so many deleted scenes and outakes."

Also the GS site has updated and already there are a lot of behind the scenes things.

"check out the behind the scenes stuff on the site. I was surprised how much they put up there. There's also a bunch of hidden extras. I would have just put them up there, but you know web geeks; they love to hide things in secret places."

You think it will be a two-disc? I expect this film to be like Eternal Sunshine, that's a work of art.

#2 of 15 Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted July 12 2004 - 03:39 AM

Well, he's having a chat @ washingtonpost.com at noon today (7/12). I'll be sure to ask him a question.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#3 of 15 Daniel Windsor

Daniel Windsor

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted July 13 2004 - 02:25 AM

A definite buy for me. Looks good.

#4 of 15 Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted August 03 2004 - 03:20 AM

More news on this movie:

From Zach-Braff.com:
Quote:
Sources within Fox Searchlight tell us that the planned release date for the Garden State DVD will be November 16th. However we must point out that this is just a target release date and no official date has been set in stone as of yet. The work on the DVD is being done now. It will be a 1 disc release but look for a lot of extra. Outtakes, Deleted scenes, two commentary tracks and more. There was about an hour cut from the movie before it's release. Will we see all the deleted scenes? We hope by Zach said during a Q&A in Atlanta "I have a lot I wanted to put on a DVD but we couldn't get it all on one disc." I am sure fans wouldn't mind a two disc Special Edition release. There no plans at this time for one but we have feeling that if the first DVD does well and people demand it, it will get done. Just may take time.

And from the movie's blog:
Quote:
Tonights the big NYC premiere. I'm in a car right now on my way to record commentary for the DVD with Nat.

So it looks like a lot of love is going into this DVD from the start. I for one have my preorder ready whenever it appears.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#5 of 15 Mikko Rasinkangas

Mikko Rasinkangas

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted August 03 2004 - 04:50 AM

Quote:
There no plans at this time for one [2 disc spec. ed.] but we have feeling that if the first DVD does well and people demand it, it will get done.

Posted Image Don't like this kind of strategy, if it is based solely on how the first release does business. Hopefully the studios don't pick up on this practice. Granted, it's a small movie, but still...

I'll probably wait a while before buying this since there is a small chance that there is 2 disc version coming out in the future. Although, my waiting isn't helping...

#6 of 15 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,449 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted August 03 2004 - 05:21 AM

Shoot, I just want the movie to hit my local theaters so I can see it. Then I'll worry about the DVD...

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#7 of 15 Phil L

Phil L

Supporting Actor

• 784 posts

Posted August 03 2004 - 08:37 AM

I saw it Saturday and loved it.

#8 of 15 Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted December 26 2004 - 07:17 PM

I hope there is eventually a Special Edition of this movie, because I just watched the DVD and the video quality is sadly mediocre. The print I saw in the theatre was distinct, detailed, colorful and clean. The DVD was soft, the colors were off, and motion was rendered badly (watch the freckle on Natalie Portman's face wander around when she moves her head -- ugh). The last time I saw an image like this, it was the Love, Actually DVD, which owed it's mediocre picture to the massive amounts of deleted scenes crammed onto the same disc. I haven't checked to see how many deleted scenes there are -- hopefully we'll get an hour like Braff promised Posted Image that would help me forgive the poor image quality.

But the moment there is any hint of a Special Edition, I'm selling this version. Still, with two commentary tracks and the deleted scenes, this isn't bad DVD... personally, I would have rather had great image with a second disc for the features and double the price, but then again, I don't work in marketing at Focus Features.

By the way, love the movie even more the second time. It's an owner, for sure Posted Image

#9 of 15 Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted December 27 2004 - 06:22 PM

Quote:
Focus Features

Fox Searchlight, actually. And the studio IS employing said 2-disc philosophy for I Heart Huckabee's, which was in no way as popular as Garden State, so go figure. I'm sure this will be a strong seller for Fox anyway (witness the massive success of Napoleon Dynamite).
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#10 of 15 Kain_C

Kain_C

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted December 28 2004 - 05:35 AM

Quote:
Don't like this kind of strategy, if it is based solely on how the first release does business. Hopefully the studios don't pick up on this practice.

Studios HAVE already picked up on this practice.

#11 of 15 Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted February 18 2005 - 03:21 PM

Just saw this, and my God it was good. I've heard good things and I like Portman and Braff, but my wife still had to drag me in to watch it. This movie got to me and that doesn't happen much. Just down and out great.

Posted Image

#12 of 15 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,355 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 18 2005 - 03:24 PM

Yeah, I picked it up on a recommendation from a number of friends and I still wasn't sure if I'd like it. Boy, was I wrong. It was a wonderful little movie. They blended comedy and drama together well which for most movies that seems hard to do.

#13 of 15 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted February 19 2005 - 03:49 AM

I loved Garden State but I am avoiding the single-disc DVD edition in the hope of a proper 2-disc edition eventually.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#14 of 15 David_N

David_N

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted February 19 2005 - 12:52 PM

Quote:
I loved Garden State but I am avoiding the single-disc DVD edition in the hope of a proper 2-disc edition eventually.

I'm not really sure what your waiting for, but the current version has a clean animorphic 2:35 transfer. Has two commentaries and lodes of deleted scenes (with commentaries). Hey there's no DTS sound option but the DD sounds good to me.

#15 of 15 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted February 19 2005 - 03:15 PM

The director had planned for a two-disc edition before the studio cut him down to one. So whatever he had planned.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow