Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

calibrating sub level

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Mark McConnell

Mark McConnell

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted July 08 2004 - 12:06 PM

I just bought the Sound & Vision DVD and am trying to adjust my sub level according to their test tone, but it seems no matter where I turn the sub's volume control, it reads the same on the SPL meter. How can this be? I turn the master volume to a comfortable listening position like the DVD says, but the left channel won't even show up on the SPL meter unless I crank the master volume up really loud which causes the sub to get too loud, even when both the volume knob and the volume levels in the receiver are as low as they can go.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted July 08 2004 - 06:04 PM

So what you're saying is that you can't get the left tone to show on the meter unless the master is very high and then the sub is excessive? Is this true for all channels or just left (does right channel show up on the meter with the master at "normal" level, do the rears? Or does the master have to be "cranked" for all main channels)? If the sub output on your receiver doesnt change the output of the sub, have you tried adjusting on the sub itself? Are you sure you're using the correct control in the receiver menus for the sub output? -V
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Cagri

Cagri

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted July 08 2004 - 08:44 PM

Analog SPL meters tend to get stuck sometimes, this happened to me several times. The meter somehow gets stuck but not totally, it kind of loses its sensitivity. Shaking it gets it back in shape.
Too much debt...

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts

Posted July 09 2004 - 01:36 AM

I once had an energy sub that had a separate input jack for crossover bypass. When using this jack, the sub's volume knob was also bypassed.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Scott A. Pope

Scott A. Pope

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted July 16 2004 - 03:27 PM

I would try changing the weighting of the meter too, especially if it's analog meter.
Simplicity is the glory of expression.