What's new

calibrating sub level (1 Viewer)

Mark McConnell

Auditioning
I just bought the Sound & Vision DVD and am trying to adjust my sub level according to their test tone, but it seems no matter where I turn the sub's volume control, it reads the same on the SPL meter. How can this be? I turn the master volume to a comfortable listening position like the DVD says, but the left channel won't even show up on the SPL meter unless I crank the master volume up really loud which causes the sub to get too loud, even when both the volume knob and the volume levels in the receiver are as low as they can go.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
So what you're saying is that you can't get the left tone to show on the meter unless the master is very high and then the sub is excessive?

Is this true for all channels or just left (does right channel show up on the meter with the master at "normal" level, do the rears? Or does the master have to be "cranked" for all main channels)?

If the sub output on your receiver doesnt change the output of the sub, have you tried adjusting on the sub itself? Are you sure you're using the correct control in the receiver menus for the sub output?

-V

Cagri

Second Unit
Analog SPL meters tend to get stuck sometimes, this happened to me several times. The meter somehow gets stuck but not totally, it kind of loses its sensitivity. Shaking it gets it back in shape.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
I once had an energy sub that had a separate input jack for crossover bypass. When using this jack, the sub's volume knob was also bypassed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks