What's new

Elisabeth Rohm haters celebrate... (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
"Law & Order" Loses Another Lawyer?

by Joal Ryan
Jun 23, 2004, 1:35 PM PT

Looks like the mother ship is coming in for another overhaul.

The mother ship is the ever-morphing Law & Order, which stands to lose costar Elisabeth Röhm at midseason next year, NBC announced Wednesday.

Röhm, 31, has played Assistant District Attorney Serena Southerlyn, Sam Waterston's partner in crime-fighting, since 2001.

The network said the actress will return for the launch of Law & Order's 15th season in the fall but warned she has been granted permission to bolt after 13 episodes.

"Lis has done a terrific job...and she has been a consummate professional," series creator and executive producer Dick Wolf said in a statement. "[But] we knew she had other career interests and opportunities."

Currently, Röhm is filming Miss Congeniality 2, starring Sandra Bullock. Also, NBC said she had "several" TV projects in the works. The actress has been a prime-time fixture since taking on a recurring role as a cop on Angel from 1999-2001.

Röhm called her contemplated exit "difficult," but, what the heck, she sounded ready to go through with it anyway.

"Sam Waterston has been a great teacher and friend who has taught me about taking risks, and it is time to put that knowledge into action," Röhm said in a statement.

There was no announcement on which aspiring starlet would partner up with Waterston in Röhm's absence.

Already, Law & Order, TV's second-longest-running drama series behind Gunsmoke, is braced to break in a new face in its police division.

Get Shorty gangster Dennis Farina previously was announced as Jesse L. Martin's new detective partner, replacing Jerry Orbach who departed Law & Order at the end of the just-completed season. Orbach's bound for the new Law & Order brand, Law & Order: Trial by Jury, set to debut in the fall.

Whew...

Law & Order is a large vessel that has provided a hospitable home to a number of smaller vessels, or in TV parlance, spinoffs.

Trial by Jury will be the third Law & Order franchisee, after Law & Order: Special Victims Unit and Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

If the new series follows the mother ship's lead, its cast will change more often than, well, just about everything.

Röhm is Waterston's fourth counterpart since joining the series in 1994. He previously worked with Jill Hennessy (who pre-dated his arrival by a year and stayed until 1996), Carey Lowell (1996-98) and Angie Harmon (1998-2001). The only assistant D.A. Waterston missed was Richard Brooks, who served from 1990-93 under original boss Michael Moriarty.

Prior to his departure, Orbach was the cast stalwart, pounding the beat as Detective Lennie Briscoe for 12 years. But even he wasn't an original castmember. He didn't sign on until 1992.

At least Martin, now moving up to third on the Law & Order seniority chart after S. Epatha Merkerson and Waterston, may stick around a while longer. The 35-year-old is close to inking a multiyear deal with the series, the Hollywood Reporter said this week.

In May, NBC renewed the mother ship, as well as Law & Order: SVU and Law & Order: Criminal Intent, through the 2005-06 season.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
"Law & Order" Loses Another Lawyer?

by Joal Ryan
Jun 23, 2004, 1:35 PM PT

Looks like the mother ship is coming in for another overhaul.

The mother ship is the ever-morphing Law & Order, which stands to lose costar Elisabeth Röhm at midseason next year, NBC announced Wednesday.

Röhm, 31, has played Assistant District Attorney Serena Southerlyn, Sam Waterston's partner in crime-fighting, since 2001.

The network said the actress will return for the launch of Law & Order's 15th season in the fall but warned she has been granted permission to bolt after 13 episodes.

"Lis has done a terrific job...and she has been a consummate professional," series creator and executive producer Dick Wolf said in a statement. "[But] we knew she had other career interests and opportunities."

Currently, Röhm is filming Miss Congeniality 2, starring Sandra Bullock. Also, NBC said she had "several" TV projects in the works. The actress has been a prime-time fixture since taking on a recurring role as a cop on Angel from 1999-2001.

Röhm called her contemplated exit "difficult," but, what the heck, she sounded ready to go through with it anyway.

"Sam Waterston has been a great teacher and friend who has taught me about taking risks, and it is time to put that knowledge into action," Röhm said in a statement.

There was no announcement on which aspiring starlet would partner up with Waterston in Röhm's absence.

Already, Law & Order, TV's second-longest-running drama series behind Gunsmoke, is braced to break in a new face in its police division.

Get Shorty gangster Dennis Farina previously was announced as Jesse L. Martin's new detective partner, replacing Jerry Orbach who departed Law & Order at the end of the just-completed season. Orbach's bound for the new Law & Order brand, Law & Order: Trial by Jury, set to debut in the fall.

Whew...

Law & Order is a large vessel that has provided a hospitable home to a number of smaller vessels, or in TV parlance, spinoffs.

Trial by Jury will be the third Law & Order franchisee, after Law & Order: Special Victims Unit and Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

If the new series follows the mother ship's lead, its cast will change more often than, well, just about everything.

Röhm is Waterston's fourth counterpart since joining the series in 1994. He previously worked with Jill Hennessy (who pre-dated his arrival by a year and stayed until 1996), Carey Lowell (1996-98) and Angie Harmon (1998-2001). The only assistant D.A. Waterston missed was Richard Brooks, who served from 1990-93 under original boss Michael Moriarty.

Prior to his departure, Orbach was the cast stalwart, pounding the beat as Detective Lennie Briscoe for 12 years. But even he wasn't an original castmember. He didn't sign on until 1992.

At least Martin, now moving up to third on the Law & Order seniority chart after S. Epatha Merkerson and Waterston, may stick around a while longer. The 35-year-old is close to inking a multiyear deal with the series, the Hollywood Reporter said this week.

In May, NBC renewed the mother ship, as well as Law & Order: SVU and Law & Order: Criminal Intent, through the 2005-06 season.

David Egan

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think Rohm is a bad actress, I think the writers failed to give her a characterization of any kind. Lowell was the softie, Harmon the hard-nose but when it came to poor Liz, they just gave her nothing. Considering the weakness of the stories in recent years they need to stop making the excuse that L&O is a srory driven show and start giving their people something to do.

David Egan

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think Rohm is a bad actress, I think the writers failed to give her a characterization of any kind. Lowell was the softie, Harmon the hard-nose but when it came to poor Liz, they just gave her nothing. Considering the weakness of the stories in recent years they need to stop making the excuse that L&O is a srory driven show and start giving their people something to do.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
I've never ever seen a single episode of any Law & Order show. But I've read that Rohm was reviled by many L&O fans.

Why is that? I liked her on Angel. What was it about her that makes her so hated on L&O?

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
I've never ever seen a single episode of any Law & Order show. But I've read that Rohm was reviled by many L&O fans.

Why is that? I liked her on Angel. What was it about her that makes her so hated on L&O?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Maybe now she can be in an Angel spin-off. She was the only major character that didn't turn back up in the finale, so if they go-ahead with TV movies, I hope she's in.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Maybe now she can be in an Angel spin-off. She was the only major character that didn't turn back up in the finale, so if they go-ahead with TV movies, I hope she's in.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The character is not well-written, and her delivery is flat. Sometimes the blocking is odd. They've also put her in a variety of outfits and hairstyles, which definitely looks out of place compared to her predecessors, who were fairly consistent. Only one of these is necessarily her fault, and probably wouldn't be as big a deal if the general quality of the show had not declined at the same time.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The character is not well-written, and her delivery is flat. Sometimes the blocking is odd. They've also put her in a variety of outfits and hairstyles, which definitely looks out of place compared to her predecessors, who were fairly consistent. Only one of these is necessarily her fault, and probably wouldn't be as big a deal if the general quality of the show had not declined at the same time.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

I agree with all that was said!! I don't think she's a bad actress at all.

For the long time fans of this series you could easily tell how the characters were defined. With Serena you never knew, she had to fill in the blanks later. Rohm I believe was literally cast the day after Angie Harmon quit! The writers didn't even have a chance to define who she was other than to give her a name.

I feel she has gotten a bad rap and honestly I don't see her any more wooden an actress than Angie Harmon who preceded her!

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

I agree with all that was said!! I don't think she's a bad actress at all.

For the long time fans of this series you could easily tell how the characters were defined. With Serena you never knew, she had to fill in the blanks later. Rohm I believe was literally cast the day after Angie Harmon quit! The writers didn't even have a chance to define who she was other than to give her a name.

I feel she has gotten a bad rap and honestly I don't see her any more wooden an actress than Angie Harmon who preceded her!

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I curious for the long time fans of the show. Do you see Jack McCoy character as having lost his bite? Honestly i've been bored by his character the past few years and his character's certainly lost the edge he once had.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I curious for the long time fans of the show. Do you see Jack McCoy character as having lost his bite? Honestly i've been bored by his character the past few years and his character's certainly lost the edge he once had.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I liked Frau Rohm though Angie Harman was my favorite. I also like the new ADA on L&O-SVU. Her name escapes me but she seems a bit more real because she is not glamorous like "Alex" was

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I liked Frau Rohm though Angie Harman was my favorite. I also like the new ADA on L&O-SVU. Her name escapes me but she seems a bit more real because she is not glamorous like "Alex" was

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks