Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best TV DVD Ever

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 of 45 OFFLINE   Mike*S

Mike*S

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted June 10 2004 - 02:05 PM

Alright, which one takes the cake? But before everyone posts his or her favorite show, I want to clarify that by best TV DVD I mean "bang for your buck." Don't post your favorite show, but the one in which you think the company has done the best job with; whether its really nice packaging, cleaned-up video (especially on old shows), re-mastered audio tracks, interesting easter eggs, or some really nice extras and special features.

#2 of 45 OFFLINE   Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor

• 521 posts

Posted June 10 2004 - 02:31 PM

For all those catagories, I'd say Twin Peaks Season 1 as the remastered elements looked great with a killer mix in dolby as well as dts 5.1, commentarys. easter eggs, etc.
--/
tkmedia

Blu-Ray, HD DVD, WMV-HD DVD-ROM, D-Theater D-VHS, D5HD, HDCAM, W-VHS, MUSE LD, HDVS LD.
-too much recorded HD not enough time.

#3 of 45 OFFLINE   StacyV

StacyV

Second Unit

• 282 posts

Posted June 10 2004 - 02:34 PM

The best I own: Freaks and Geeks, and I'm not even talking about the yearbook edition. Commentaries, the booklet, audition tapes, etc. that's the one.

Edit-->After posting this, then re-reading the Freaks and Geeks thread, I succumbed and placed an order for the Yearbook edition. I won't eat for a week or two, but at least I'll finally have the Yearbook edition.

#4 of 45 OFFLINE   Kraig Lang

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts

Posted June 10 2004 - 03:24 PM

As for classy and worth every penny, I'd have to go with Dick Van Dyke. Not only one of the greatest shows on TV, but an outstanding set with thorough extras and fun additions.
MOISTURE...*Silica Absorbs It*

#5 of 45 OFFLINE   Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 661 posts

Posted June 10 2004 - 03:42 PM

Another vote for The Dick Van Dyke show.
a:5:{s:9:"signature

#6 of 45 OFFLINE   Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted June 10 2004 - 03:52 PM

Tie between Dick Van Dyke Show (Image) and Battlestar Galactica (Universal). The former's extras speak for themselves, but Galactica really excels as well by virtue of all the deleted scenes supplements for almost every episode of the series. It's miraculous that that much excised footage exists to begin with, but for Universal to release it deserves extra kudos.

#7 of 45 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted June 10 2004 - 04:09 PM

"Freaks and Geeks", yearbook edition of course.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#8 of 45 OFFLINE   Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted June 10 2004 - 04:52 PM

Thus far, MASH is the best DVD series out, at least that I have in my collection. Not only because the episodes are complete [no longer butchered to make time for commercials] and in order, but also because it has a feature in which you can TURN OFF THE FRIGGIN' LAUGH TRACK and actually hear the jokes. It annoyed the daylights out of the actors, for certain, but the studio honchos insisted on adding the laughter so that people would know where it was appropriate to laugh. I wonder what the studio honchos would have made of me, because there have been times during "heavy" dramas where I have laughed like a loon because something struck me funny for whatever reason.
The shape I'm in you could donate my body to science fiction! - Rodney Dangerfield, "Back to School"

#9 of 45 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted June 10 2004 - 10:15 PM

Dick Van Dyke, hands down.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#10 of 45 OFFLINE   Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 12:09 AM

Without a doubt the Dick Van Dyke show DVD set. This is the most professional looking DVD set, with loads of extras, I could ever have imagined. Let's hope more old shows are released with such devotion, care, and extras. Picture quality A+, packaging A+, extras A+.
I'm a classic TV fan. Widescreen? What's that?

#11 of 45 OFFLINE   Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers

Producer

• 3,481 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 12:44 AM

Yep, have to agree with the Freaks and Geeks: Yearbook Edition. A superb A+ show, solid A/V, excellent packaging and a lot of great extras.
Top 10 Film Lists: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
Film Lists: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005

#12 of 45 OFFLINE   JasonPW

JasonPW

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 01:01 AM

I was going to echo the Van Dyke votes--but I had to stop a minute. My vote goes to the "Beany and Cecil" special edition DVD. They could have just slapped the cartoons on there, but instead they made it a fascinating look at the career of Bob Clampett--complete with episodes of the live-action "Time for Beany" (and other puppet show Clampett aired), test footage, commentaries, tons of photos, etc. That disc was one of the first 3 or 4 DVDs I ever bought and it still stands as a testament to how much can be done with these shiny discs we all love. Doc
"We're a little late, folks...Goodnight!"

#13 of 45 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 01:01 AM

Another vote for Dick Van Dyke.

#14 of 45 OFFLINE   ScottDombrowski

ScottDombrowski

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 11 2004 - 01:13 AM

Yet another vote for The Dick Van Dyke Show. As others here have said, the packaging, presentation, and extras are just incredible!

#15 of 45 OFFLINE   Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 11 2004 - 04:15 AM

A tie between Freaks and Geeks and SCTV Network 90: Volume 1.

#16 of 45 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 04:19 AM

Dick Van Dyke Show is the hands down slam dunk winner for me. I think what makes it so good, and better than a lot of others is that the quality goes across all 5 releases. Its great to get a quality of release like Freaks and Geeks, but that's just across 1 release while Van Dyke's quality of work done is shown in 5 seperate releases, and that's why it gets my vote.

#17 of 45 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 04:49 AM

Twin Peaks or SCTV. The only TV DVDs in my collection which kind of suck are the Sanford & Son discs, which have some truly dubiousAV quality.

#18 of 45 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,624 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 09:27 AM

Gotta go with The Dick Van Dyke Show sets. Image set the bar high with these, and nothing else has touched them, IMHO - yet!

Gary "I hope Paramount gives us a great Andy Griffith Show set in October" O.
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#19 of 45 OFFLINE   Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 10:32 AM

Both sets of The Dead Zone are really great, espcially season 2. Every episode has commentary and there is a five-part making of documentary, plus interviews with the cast and crew, all for $49.95 retail.
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#20 of 45 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted June 11 2004 - 10:38 AM

Obviously, part of this is what tv shows you like and buy. I'm curious if any of the people voting for sets other than Dick Van Dyke have that and think something else is better, or simply have no interest in the show.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users