What's new

Used dvd sets (1 Viewer)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
While shopping around today for movies and shows I found a used bin at Coconuts with quite a few tv series and movies I would really love to get.

Scooby Doo Where Are You? complete season 1 and 2 for $20

Six Feet Under S1 for $40

Shallow Grave $10

I have never bought used dvd's before and the store's return policy is for credit only ( not something I like at all).

What are your experiences with used dvds? Do you think it would be worth it to buy?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Considering that this has been out for a little over a month, that would be a steal IMO.

I buy DVDs all the time, never had much of an issue with them. I'd say its worth a shot, but if your 1 that has an icky feeling about buying used than it might not work, but I wish I had found Scooby for $20 instead of $55 that could've bought me another DVD or 2 you know?

CynthiaH

Agent
I've never bought a used DVD, but I don't think it should be a big deal. I buy used CDs all the time.

Are they resealed, or can you look in the package? The only thing I would want to look at is whether the discs are scratched-other than that, you should be able to tell if you think the package is gummed up too much (for example, if it's a cardboard one).

If you don't like the store's policy about refunds, that's another thing entirely.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Coconuts. In my area Coconuts is called Strawberries, same owner I think, and there is one fantastic location that has box sets a go-go very often. They're almost always what you'd expect: students who needed to become liquid again and realized they'll never watch the whole box again. Sure the corners are dinged, but the discs, if they came from an individual, are typically only rarely played so tend to be in fine condition.

The only problem is there's no likelihood of being able to buy the seasons in order - you just have to buy whatever is there and then have enough restraint to not start watching until you've gor the seasons in order! (I'm stuck until I can find Season Two of Xena...I got season one and season three...oh, which reminds me of the one other problem: It is unlikely you'll find the Best Buy Exclusive Content versions. Indeed, I am sure some of the used sets turn up used because someone got them as a gift but really wanted the Best Buy versions. So you just have to take yourself mentally out of that whole "exclusives" game).

RobinO

Stunt Coordinator
Lanie -

My family and I have always gotten used DVD's from Hollywood Video and have never had a problem. I'm sure the ones you can pick up at Coconuts have not been watched nearly as much as the used ones from Hollywood.

I only wish I could stumble across such a bargain :frowning:

Robin

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
i dont trust buying used stuff.
im vary picky about my stuff.
i take vary good care of of my stuff.
i have stuff thats 20 years old and still like new.
like records so on...
and i never loan anything out.
i know better then that.
now in the case of cd's and dvd's if i can see it and see it looks like new then i may buy it if the price is right.
i would never buy anything thats not like new.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I buy used DVDs all the time. I make a habit of asking the cashier to open the case so I can see the disc before I pay for it. That way i'm 99.9% sure that the disc is ok because I've yet to have one that looks new but doesn't play.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
David ~ I am the same way about things I own. I take very good care of my things. I never lend anything to anyone because the few times I did it was returned in crap condition.

I'm seriously considering going back to coconuts and picking up that used ScoobyDoo set.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Like most financial matters, it's down to a question of utility. Assuming the discs are of a playable quality and the inserts are all there and reasonably neat and tidy, will you get the same use out of a used disc as a new one? The answer should be yes (unless you have a strange fetish about tearing plastic wrappings off things). Ergo, it's a no-brainer so far.

You then have the issue of quality. Unless you are buying from a garage sale or similar, then chances are that the retailer has a commercial reputation to think of. They aren't going to sell crap if they want the customers to come back. So chances are that the disc will play just fine. However, let's suppose that 10 per cent of discs don't play (a ludicrously high figure, but just work with me here) and you're getting the discs at half retail price. Every time you buy ten discs, you'll be getting nine workable ones, whereas for the same money you'd only get five discs. Given that the proportion of unworkable discs is likely to be much lower, you're going to save a lot of money.

If you can look at the discs, check for two things: scratches (obviously) and disc rot (basically, look at the playing side of the disc at an angle - if there are slightly paler irregularly shaped patches, the layers may be separating, and the disc's a coaster or soon will be). However, disc rot is pretty rare.

I used to buy used DVDs all the time (I don't now only because we've moved to an area seemingly free of stores selling used discs). I never had a problem in well over a hundred purchases. And I got most of the Hong Kong Legends series at ridiculously cheap prices. :)

DanielCo

Stunt Coordinator
I have 700 DVD's and buy used as often as possible! Hollywood, Blockbuster, pawn shops. There is NO better deal in the world.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
It always amazes me how many people haven't bought a single used DVD. I guess this is because almost all my current DVD purchases are used. It just doesn't make sense to buy new for $26.99 when I can get it used for $9.99. Just ask the store if you can look over the disc before you buy it. If you can't, make sure they have a good return policy. If the return policy is a credit or exchange only, look to see if there are lots of other copies or other titles you'd be interested in.

Jeff

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
i have over 800 DVD's and there all new.
that dont count the dvd's in the sets, i only counted the sets as one. plus that dont count the recorded stuff i have or the tapes. ill stick to buying new thank you!

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I buy used dvds and haven't had any problems, and I save a lot of money. Especially if you know that a dvd was just recently released. Chances are it was only viewed once and people realize they don't need it, and exchange it at a place that buys used dvds for store credit. I should say I would never buy a former rental that has ben rented multiple times. Those are usually scratched.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I never pay $26 for a new dvd. I get all my dvd's at Costco, best buy and sometimes Walmart and I always pay anywhere from $5 to $16. My tv sets obviously are a bit more, but never over $50.

I have nothing against used, I have just never bought used because I was worried about the discs being faulty or something.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Sorry, this doesn't make sense. Are you saying that you have so much money that you'll only buy new on some sort of financial principle?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I agree with Andrew that david_slater's post doesn't make sense. Just because you have purchased new stuff, doesn't mean you should overlook getting something used. I know I've sold stuff in perfect condition and anyone who picked up DVDs I previously owned would be getting a steal at the reduced price.

I also wanted to point out, david, that unless your 800 DVDs are all still in the shrinkwrap, then, no, they aren't new anymore. They're used! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks