Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Fletch Won

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula

Second Unit

• 393 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 12:15 PM

I was watching Fletch on DVD recently and I remebered there is a planned prequel in the works. I would like for them to get Chevy Chase to be in it but if they can't I think Jason Lee would be a good also but than it occured to me that maybe even Jack Black could be quite good for the part. So has anyone heard anything new about this project?.

-Mike

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   chris winters

chris winters

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 12:41 PM

Ive read some of the fletch books and while the films were mildly amusing they dont really represent the tone of the books. The books are much darker and fletch is much less sympathetic. Hes a true womanizer, and behaves in countless morally questionable ways. At one point he even throws his exgirlfriends' kitten out an open window to its death for amusment. imagine how that would play onscreen? He has sex with underage runaways, and when they turn up dead he barely bats an eye. he's a talented investigative reporter, but he can often also be a pretty slimy dirtball, and the chevy chase movies toned much of that down. I think Kevin Smith may try and go back to the roots, and make a truer adaptation. i think Jason Lee is near perfect as he looks alot like fletch is described and also embodies the stoner vibe, the sense of humor, the intelligence, and the mildly sociopathic nastiness of the true fletch.
Movies are like books, except you can't set your' drink on them, well.. unless its a DVD...oh nevermind

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 01:33 PM

Miramax won't let Smith use Lee. Smith used to say he wouldn't do the movie without Lee but Miramax was really adamant about not using him due to the fact that pretty much every movie he's been in has been a huge flop. Smith posted a list of other possibilities. Off the top of my head I believe they were Will Smith, Adam Sandler, Jimmy Fallon and Ben Affleck. I personally think it's weak that he's even considering doing it without Lee. In any case, it's been put on the back burner yet again so Smith can do "The Green Hornet". Maybe "Hornet" will be a success and Smith can use it to get Lee in "Fletch Won" after all.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted March 17 2004 - 02:57 PM

Quote:
but Miramax was really adamant about not using him due to the fact that pretty much every movie he's been in has been a huge flop.

I don't think that's the reason. More that Lee isn't a bankable (no pun intended) name. Course, they somehow think Ben Affleck is leading man material and people would want to pay to just see him.

I have a feeling that how well Smith does with Green Hornet will decide if Flech Won will get made.

I'd like to see it. The way Fletch is in the books, Lee will rule that role.

Jason

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Gabe D

Gabe D

Screenwriter

• 2,173 posts

Posted March 18 2004 - 01:32 AM

I agree that Jason Lee is perfect for the part. I love the "Fletch" books, but I'm no Kevin Smith fan. At all. However, the casting of Jason Lee would get me into the theater.

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   chris winters

chris winters

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted March 18 2004 - 04:24 AM

i hope there joking about will smith as fletch. I cant imagine worst casting short of casting ...well on second thought, i cant think of anyone more inappropriate.
Movies are like books, except you can't set your' drink on them, well.. unless its a DVD...oh nevermind

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Hardee

Hardee

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted March 21 2004 - 06:00 AM

And maybe if some of Lee's current work is successfull it might help his chances.
From Imdb:

Drop Dead Sexy (2004) (pre-production) .... Frank

West Memphis Three (2004) (filming)

Incredibles, The (2004) (filming) (voice) .... Syndrome/Incrediboy

Rose and the Snake (2004) (post-production)

Jersey Girl (2004) (completed) .... PR Exec #1
Collection
2004 DVD Challenge

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Mike Monti

Mike Monti

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted March 21 2004 - 01:00 PM

One of the other names that Kevin was bandying around was Brad Pitt. And honestly, if Smith can get him, Pitt would probably be the best choice (well, on par with Lee). He fits the chatacter (Fletch being blond and rather laid back in the books). I can easily see him as the character described by Chris above. Fight Club, 12 Monkeys, True Romance, Oceans 11 were all good jobs and if combined are pretty close to Irwin M. Fletcher.

Course the sh*tstorm of !SELLOUT! arguments that Smith would have to field from rabit Smithites might push him away from Pitt.

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted March 21 2004 - 04:17 PM

I wouldn't think of Smith as a sellout for casting Pitt. If there's anything that makes him a sellout, it's the fact that he promised to do "Fletch Won" with Lee or not at all for a few years and all of a sudden he's ready to do it without him. That's weak.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted March 22 2004 - 05:58 AM

On the other side, when Lee heard of Miramax's less than enuthiastic feel on him, he also said he wasn't all that excited about doing the movie anyway. He liked the idea of working with Kevin, but the idea of the studio politics and stuff that goes with making big movies has turned him off, big time.

-V
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted August 02 2006 - 06:53 PM

Some rumblings: http://www.zap2it.co....,4474205.story
Huge Scrubs fan here so this sounds pretty good to me.
"Oh I can hold my breath for a long, long time!"

http://www.dvdprofil....s=TromaFiend02

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Andy_R

Andy_R

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted August 03 2006 - 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Knutzen
Some rumblings: http://www.zap2it.co....,4474205.story
Huge Scrubs fan here so this sounds pretty good to me.

Color me optimistic too. Lest we not forget that Bill Lawrence also a big part of Spin City, another great show. As for Zach Braff as Fletch, I really think it could work.

-Andy
=========
Andy Roth
My DVD feed
=========

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   James@R

James@R

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted August 03 2006 - 04:45 AM

I half-expected Lee's newfound success with My Name Is Earl to help him land the role.

Anyway, speaking of the books, I've always wondered why Chevy Chase never made a sequel based on any of them. I've always felt that Fletch's Fortune would've been ideal for his personality, especially the scenes where he tangles with the IRS.

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   ChrisCAB

ChrisCAB

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted August 03 2006 - 05:00 AM

Can't believe Ryan Reynolds hasn't been mentioned.

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted August 03 2006 - 06:15 AM

Quote:
Can't believe Ryan Reynolds hasn't been mentioned.

I can. He's never been attached to this project, he's always been seen as a "Poor Man's Jason Lee" (or Lee is considered "Poor Man's Ryan Reynolds" depending on your point of view) and when Miramax wouldn't allow Smith to use Lee people just thought of him due to their many similarities. I personally think casting Reynolds would be tremendously unimaginative considering his arguable interchangability with Lee.

Anyways, Braff isn't officially cast but he was attached when Smith was on the project and he stayed in talks with the Weinsteins and brought Lawrence to the project due to the "Scrubs" connection. The choice to use Lawrence as director pretty much proves that Braff is a lock.

I have faith in them and I think their involvement indicates that the tone of the original books will be followed as opposed to trying to recreate Chase's tired schtick.

In any case, I think Kevin Smith deserves an Executive Producer credit on this. Even though he's not directly involved this movie wouldn't be in production if not for Smith getting the ball rolling in the first place. If he deserved EP credit on "Good Will Hunting" (another movie where Smith was integral to the development but otherwise uninvolved with the production) then he deserves it on this.

Quote:
Anyway, speaking of the books, I've always wondered why Chevy Chase never made a sequel based on any of them. I've always felt that Fletch's Fortune would've been ideal for his personality, especially the scenes where he tangles with the IRS.

Well, the problem with the sequel books is that Fletch makes off with Stanwyk's money at the end of the original books but they changed that in the movie, and Fletch's money is such an integral part of every book that takes place after "Fletch" that reconciling the stories with the cinematic ending would be tough.

Also, Kevin Smith said that the rights to "Confess, Fletch" weren't included in the overall deal that Miramax (and now the Weinstein Co.) purchased due to the inclusion of the Flynn character, so they could never truly do the whole series properly anyway, though I wouldn't really expect them to adapt 9 (or 11 including the "Son of..." series, or 15 including the "Flynn" series) books.

According to "Fletch" author Gregory McDonald, Bill Lawrence signed on for two "Fletch" movies. That obviously isn't a guarantee that the second one will be made, it just means Lawrence is obligated to direct it if it us, but after "Fletch Won" I imagine they would either do "Fletch and the Widow Bradley" (another prequel to "Fletch" where he's still a reporter) or remake the original. "Fletch, Too" is a direct sequel to "Fletch Won", it picks up less than a week later but I think the setting of the novel (young Fletch in Africa trying to find his long-lost father) is too different than the rest of the "Fletch" stories to do as a followup to "Fletch Won".

Quote:
I half-expected Lee's newfound success with My Name Is Earl to help him land the role.

Well, as much as I loved the idea of Lee as Fletch he's definitely too old by this point. He might have been able to pass as a 20-year-old way back when this project was still announced but by now he's not far from being twice as old as Fletch should be in "Fletch Won" and I don't think he could pass for 20 but I think Braff looks young enough to pull it off.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   James@R

James@R

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted August 03 2006 - 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill GrandPre
Well, the problem with the sequel books is that Fletch makes off with Stanwyk's money at the end of the original books but they changed that in the movie

But the irony is, they gave him an inheritance at the beginning of Fletch Lives anyway. So, I think they could've easily written around the money issue. The opportunity to drop Chase into the midst of high society (ala Caddyshack) also seems like it would've been a no-brainer.

As for Widow Bradley, that's actually one I'd be surprised if they used. The plot twist may have been unique when it was written, but would be fairly obvious to today's audiences.

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   ChrisCAB

ChrisCAB

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 09:46 AM

Wow, Bill, you're quite the authority.

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted August 06 2006 - 05:03 PM

I think they said in an article I read that they would probably redo the movie to resemble the book as it was written.
I love the idea of Braff doing it!

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow