Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I know it's only a rumor, but.....Genesis reformed??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
167 replies to this topic

#21 of 168 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,720 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted April 13 2004 - 07:55 AM

Quote:
I also agree that Genesis lost alot by the deparure of Hackett. His guitar style fit that group prefectly.
Quote:
Yeah yeah: Steve Hackett.
I agree with both of you. Everyone seems to have great respect for Hackett but I never hear anyone bring up his solo stuff around here. Please Don't Touch is a great album and Cured is required listening on Sunday morning while eating a muffin and reading the paper. A bit different from Genesis, but just as good. Anyone else have any of his stuff? As for Genesis reforming, I'm not too excited. They were moving in a different direction near the end (as did Phil's solo career) and I wouldn't expect that to change much now. If it does, then I'll pay more attention.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#22 of 168 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,249 posts

Posted April 13 2004 - 09:38 AM

Quote:
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike (Rutherford) & The Mechanics will be the supporting act for Phil Collins' solo tour.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I the only one who thinks this is like The Stones supporting Britney Spears?

No. In fact, I have no concept what you mean by it. Is this an implication that Mike's much more talented than Phil?
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#23 of 168 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,249 posts

Posted April 13 2004 - 09:39 AM

Quote:
i think it would be more like keith supporting mick if both were doint solo tours.

Or even better: Ringo supporting Paul. (Mick's solo career wasn't really any more successful than Keith's, but obviously Phil sold a jillion more records than Mike. Kinda fits with Paul and Ringo...)
Colin Jacobson

#24 of 168 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted April 13 2004 - 07:29 PM

Quote:
Is this an implication that Mike's much more talented than Phil?

Er, yes.

Things may be different in the USA, but over here in Genesis's home country, admitting to liking Phil Collins is immediate social death in most civilised circles. On the other hand, Mike and the Mechanics are respected as an unpretentious competent AOR band.

#25 of 168 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 02:46 AM

Gene, I tried listening to some solo Hackett a while back. I remember hearing Voyage of the Accolyte but it sounded like a weak version of Genesis so it felt cheap (even though I like Chris Squire's first solo album which is a cheap version of Yes, so I'm inconsistent). Then I heard an album where he did some Genesis songs, it was OK, but not worth buying (I generally don't like tributes and revisits of that sort). And I heard something else that had some decent music but some weird vocals that put me off.
I've heard some of his recent stuff is good. He's a brilliant guitarist and if he has stuff that focuses on that I would be interested.

Funny thing about watching Genesis' Behing the Music on VH1 (yes, they did have one, and it was great) was that the band didn't feel a great loss when Hackett left and were even kind of relieved, unlike the devestation of losing Gabriel or even Anthony Phillips. But IMO, the quality of the music declined seriously right after he left, improved after Phillips left (though I'm sure it would have improved had he stayed) and stayed the same when Gabriel left.

Andrew, I would argue that talent isn't about who's music you like more, but who has the ability to make the kind of music he wants. Collins wanted to make accessible, mass-market pop and was damn good at it. I would also contend that, when he wants to be, he's a better drummer than Rutherford is a guitar/bass player.

I know Collins ain't cool, but I like Collins' first record for what it is- well crafted, great sounding pop. I tried listening to the Mechanics and it bored me to tears. Even if Collins is cheesy, at least that has entertainment value (though I can't tolerate him now).

#26 of 168 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 12:50 PM

Anyone ever listen to Mike Rutherford's Smallcreeps Day? Excellent stuff.

I actually like the 1st two Phil Collins solo discs. But then he got into that danceable stuff for the 3rd one, and that was it for me.
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#27 of 168 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,720 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted April 14 2004 - 02:04 PM

Quote:
And I heard something else that had some decent music but some weird vocals that put me off.
There are some weird vocals on the two I mentioned, especially Cured. I have two other cd's of his including Voyage... but after a couple of listens, nothing grabbed me. Some of his solo stuff is a little "out there". As for Collins, his Live In Paris concert is very good technically/performance wise but the material is just so-so. After what he did with Genesis, I just can't accept him as a pop star. Might be my loss but that's the way it is. And maybe that's what Hackett did. Went too far the other way. Didn't he leave Genesis because he thought they were going too main stream? Maybe Phil went to right field, and took Genesis with him, and Steve went to left. Waaaay out to left!
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#28 of 168 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,249 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 03:22 PM

Quote:
Things may be different in the USA, but over here in Genesis's home country, admitting to liking Phil Collins is immediate social death in most civilised circles. On the other hand, Mike and the Mechanics are respected as an unpretentious competent AOR band.

Well, SOMEBODY in England must like him or he wouldn't be playing arenas there. I'm not a big Phil fan, but he's produced some good solo work? Mike &TM? No thanks - THEY'RE the ones I think are deathly dull...
Colin Jacobson

#29 of 168 OFFLINE   John Geelan

John Geelan

Screenwriter

• 1,092 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 04:56 PM

No doubt Phil's star has fallen but for many years he was a pretty big star here in the US.

I remember Live Aid where he flew between to continents to handle the drums in one day. He got to play with the reformed Led Zeppelin for one set.

You gotta give Phil his due....he did make Genesis a worldwide phenom even though they were that dreaded "progressive rock".

His work with Brand X was also excellent.

Its easy to bash him these days.
JohnG

(Proud Home Theater Forum Donor)

Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (SXRD)Denon AVR3806/ DVD3910Toshiba HD-DVD XA2/ Sony PS3Onix Rockets RS550MKIIsSVS 25-31CS subwoofer

#30 of 168 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 07:16 PM

Quote:
Well, SOMEBODY in England must like him or he wouldn't be playing arenas there.

Yes, but then a lot of Brits would go to a Cliff Richard or Chris de Burgh concert as well. Posted Image

I think I was a bit unfair to Mr Collins in the first post. All I was trying to say was that I think that Mike and The Mechanics' work is of a higher quality and that PC is considered rather 'dated' by a lot of Brits (I think this may have something to do with over-exposure in the Brit media a few years ago). Personally, I don't think he's awful, just not as good.

#31 of 168 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 01:57 AM

Quote:
And maybe that's what Hackett did. Went too far the other way. Didn't he leave Genesis because he thought they were going too main stream?

Hackett left Genesis because he felt his ideas were being ignored by the other three, and as they will now attest, he was right. They never really accepted him as a writer beyond a few contributions here and there. I guess they always kind of though of him as a hired gun because he was brought in to replace a founding member and close friend in Anthony Phillips.

#32 of 168 OFFLINE   Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor

• 901 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 02:39 AM

Re: Hackett...

Brilliant, brilliant musician. Dating from And Then There Were Three, Hackett's is the most Genesis-like music of any of the group, including the three still calling themselves "Genesis." Vastly underappreciated on this side of the pond. I agree that Acolyte is a bit weak, but the must-have Hackett album is Please Don't Touch, which features Steve Walsh and Richie Havens on vocals.

Quote:
Andrew, I would argue that talent isn't about who's music you like more, but who has the ability to make the kind of music he wants. Collins wanted to make accessible, mass-market pop and was damn good at it. I would also contend that, when he wants to be, he's a better drummer than Rutherford is a guitar/bass player.

It's a shame Collins has been so commercially successful, because I think he's one of those guys whose fame makes us take him for granted. Keeping in mind that I haven't bought a Phil Collins album since about 1990, I personally think he's one of the best pure songcrafters of his generation. He just seems to be able to pull out whatever he wants to whenever he wants to. His first two albums are seminal works of the 1980s, especially Face Value, which is on par with some of Gabriel's better work. But I really got Phil Collins when I saw Tarzan. That is an amazing score, just amazing. The melodies, the structure, everything. And Brother Bear, which I just saw a couple weeks ago, is very nearly as good.

Again, I haven't purchased a PC album in ages. It's just not what I'm into now. And hating on the guy because he chooses to record pop is understandable, I guess, but what he chooses to make commercially and what his abilities as a musician are may not be one and the same. Regarding his drum skills, give Selling England by the Pound, Foxtrot, A Trick of the Tail, and his first few solo albums a close listen. If there is a more skilled rock drummer than Collins, I haven't heard him. And I've heard a lot of very good drummers.

Phil Collins is one of the most enigmatic figures in all of music, and has been for over 20 years. When he wants to bust out the "art" music, he floors me. The fact that he doesn't do it terribly often keeps me away from the rest of his work.

Oh, and Collins is a better drummer in his sleep than Mike Rutherford is a bassist or guitarist on his best day. No slight intended to Rutherford, who does very tasteful work that serves the song very well. But it's just true.
My blog: Andrew Hamm: (Title Changes Regularly)

The 2008-2009 Richmond Shakespeare Theatre

Hamlet October 17 - November 9A Christmas Carol for Two Actors December 11 - 21Amadeus February 12 - March 8Cymbeline April 16 - May 10

#33 of 168 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 03:38 AM

Quote:
I think this may have something to do with over-exposure in the Brit media a few years ago

That happened to PC here in the States as well. Plus, his recent solo albums are boring (PC's latest solo album sold just 350,000 copies here in the States). I suppose that's what happens when getting over-exposed.
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#34 of 168 OFFLINE   ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon

Second Unit

• 307 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 04:55 AM

A few responses to be above from a long-time, big-time Genesis fan:

1. I agree about Steve Hackett. He was more important to the band than they admitted, but in a way, I'm glad he left because he produced some great solo stuff that we may not have had. I was lucky enough to see him live in two very different settings: full band, electric headliner show at NEARFest 2002, and last summer I saw him do a delicious solo accoustic instrumental show at Borders Books of all places. He was so close, I literally could have kicked him in the knee if I extended my leg. Both were outstanding!

2. To the person that complained about Phil's vocal tricks on Seconds Out, I am right there with you! I can't even listen to that version of "down down down down on Broadway". Also, the admittedly mixed out a lot of Hackett's parts when he left. There are so many better live recordings of the band.

3. To the reunion rumors: I'll believe it when I see it. I remember when radio stations were reporting a Genesis/Gabriel reunion tour in the mid-90s. It turned out to all come from a little collaboration on the new version of Carpet Crawlers. Like others have said, I'd like to see any incarnation of the band.

Chris

#35 of 168 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 05:31 AM

Collins' drumming: one of the biggest musical shockers of my life.

Before discovering old-school Genesis, I was vaguely aware that he could play drums. I thought of him as a singer who also happened to play a little drums, like many lead singers who strum a guitar or something.

When I heard Foxtrot, I was in shock. And then Selling England... wow. Not to mention Brand X. He's doing polyrhythms, real tasty cymbal work- really, really great. Love that Apocolypse in 9/8 groove.

#36 of 168 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted August 20 2005 - 07:34 PM

It's time to stir the old "Genesis reunion" pot....

Posted by Phil Collins himself on 8/17/2005 at his official website's forum....

Quote:
Regarding the reunion... we're grown men. We are happy to entertain the idea of working together again as we're great friends still. However it's maybe because of eccentric remarks like yours that we think twice about it. I do have everybody's phone numbers, but if I'm the one that starts this ball rolling then it'll be me who'll have to push it all the way up that hill... I'm not sure I have the patience or time for that now. If someone calls me and says let's do something then I'll be there. It's not my fault if people are on the edge of their seats waiting for it to happen. If it makes it simpler I'll say that I WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE for any reunions. For me it's that simple. It's just an idea that I think is worth keeping the door open for, so I say "I'm here". I do appreciate your remark that if you didn't care you wouldn't bother posting your thoughts. You sound like a committed man. I like that.

Nothing really new. You can read Phil's answers to other questions as well by clicking
here.

Steve Hackett said in a recent interview that he would entertain the "reunion" idea.

#37 of 168 OFFLINE   Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor

• 901 posts

Posted August 27 2005 - 02:53 AM

I have been getting pretty heavily into Hackett's solo career the past few months. I highly recommend going out and getting the Once Above a Time live DVD to see where he is right now. To Watch the Storms is a great album, as well. In addition to featuring some of the best of his solo work, the concert features a few very good Genesis tunes, including a version of "Blood on the Rooftops" that absolutely smokes the studio cut.

Interestingly enough, Hackett is pretty big as a solo artist in the UK. He's touring the US for the first time in decades this year.
My blog: Andrew Hamm: (Title Changes Regularly)

The 2008-2009 Richmond Shakespeare Theatre

Hamlet October 17 - November 9A Christmas Carol for Two Actors December 11 - 21Amadeus February 12 - March 8Cymbeline April 16 - May 10

#38 of 168 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted October 11 2005 - 05:09 PM

OK, this time the news is from Steve Hackett....

http://www.allheadli...cles/7000474269

Quote:
Genesis Reunion May Be In The Works

October 11, 2005 2:01 p.m. EST

Douglas Maher - All Headline News Staff Reporter

London, England (AHN) - Although Phil Collins has been on the road under the impression his touring days are coming to an end...he might just mean his solo touring days.

Reports from England indicate Collins' old band "Genesis" is possibly planning a reunion with an all original members.

former Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett says, "There's something afoot. There's a move afoot to put us together again. At some point there's a reformation mooted. It's rare that I get a call from Genesis management, very rare these days. So maybe something will happen, you know."

Hackett says the reunion will include original singer Peter Gabriel, drummer-vocalist Phil Collins, guitarist-bassist Mike Rutherford, and keyboardist Tony Banks. No official word from the band's management.

Genesis is best known for their albums "Abacab", "Dodo", and "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway".

Genesis recently released a three-CD retrospective, Genesis Platinum Collection, and a DVD compilation called Genesis Video Show.

Nick Davis mentioned that a clearer picture regarding the pending SACD releases will emerge in about a month. Maybe the band will get together for several shows to promote those SACDs.

Hey, this year saw Cream and Pink Floyd performed in concert. You never know....

#39 of 168 OFFLINE   ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon

Second Unit

• 307 posts

Posted October 12 2005 - 07:50 AM

Their album Dodo, huh? Must be extinct... Anyway, I've heard this way too many times to get excited until I hear something really *from* a band member. Not just a quote that has yet to be verified.

Chris

#40 of 168 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted October 19 2005 - 06:36 AM

Quote:
I had the phone call recently from Genesis' manager: "Do you think you guys would like to have a meeting to talk about the future?" Let's just say that there's a move afoot to put us all together again. When that will happen, I don't know, but I think it's inevitable that something that has had such a lasting effect ... I mean, the Musical Box sold out the Royal Albert Hall in London!

I don't even really know those guys [in Genesis] these days; all I can really say is that I hope we do something. I doubt that we'll write something new, but that would be a gas! Just to come in and say, "We don't have to remember anything, let's do something new, just to see what we play like these days." That would be nice, but you've got people working different ways and at very different pace. But I do think something will happen -- whether it's a recreation of the past or anything new, I don't know.

Quoted from Steve Hackett interview with Chicago Sun-Times dated 10/14/2005.

Also rumors of meeting between Genesis members on November 20th. Maybe do several shows to promote hi-rez Genesis releases?

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow