Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I Got My Scion !!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 FredHD

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted February 07 2004 - 02:44 PM

After much shopping, test driving, researching, and comparing, my wife and I have finally taken delivery of our first new car, the Scion XB. And we love it. It is great for the price. If anyone is looking into them and has any questions, please let me know.

XBs Rule, PT Cruisers Drool !!!

www.scion.com
"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
Albert Einstein, physicist, Nobel Prize 1921

#2 of 20 Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted February 07 2004 - 06:19 PM

Congrats on the new car. Posted Image

As for me I don't like the Scion XB's looks one bit.
Posted Image
I'd probably go for a used car before I bought one. But hey, to each his own and as long as you're happy.

#3 of 20 NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted February 07 2004 - 07:46 PM

Nice... Its a cool little car, i've read about it in Car and Driver... Definitely unique, not your average looking car Posted Image

#4 of 20 Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 02:36 AM

So who makes Scion?
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#5 of 20 gregstaten

gregstaten

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 03:13 AM

Quote:
So who makes Scion?

Scion is made by Toyota. They were only available in California initially and are gradually rolling out nationwide this year. The first Scions just started appearing in New England a couple months ago.

-greg

#6 of 20 Keith_R

Keith_R

Screenwriter

• 1,179 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 03:41 AM

Congrats on the new car. My family recently bought an '04 Toyota Matrix. We did look at a Scion but we weren't all that impressed with it, to each his own though. Enjoy!
-Keith-       

#7 of 20 Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 06:48 AM

Jackson .. congrats on the car. It is nice to drive a new car!

Here in NY, I keep seeing billboards for them all over the place. Seems they are geared towards the tuner crowd, with customizing them being the top sales pitch.

How does it drive? How many ponies under the hood?

Just hope they don't end up like the PT, which was also aimed at younger people and ended up beign bought by older people for nostalgic reasons.

Personally, I do like the new Mazda 3 series better, but as long as it puts a smile on your face when you drive it, that is all that matters Posted Image

#8 of 20 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,627 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted February 08 2004 - 08:47 AM

Yes, I've seen these Scions around here for quite some time. I'm afraid they aren't what I would want. Doesn't "Scion" mean "son of" as in SOB?

Posted Image

For the record, this is what I personally think a car should look like.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#9 of 20 Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Posted February 08 2004 - 12:20 PM

this is what I wish I could get
Posted Image

#10 of 20 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 01:41 PM

Quote:
Seems they are geared towards the tuner crowd
It always scares me when a company seems to spend more time talking about the stereo than the car. Check out the web site, the stereo page is more detailed than the cars' specs page.

#11 of 20 Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted February 08 2004 - 02:20 PM

Well to answer my own question above, I just looked at the Scion website and realized that it only has 108 HP. This is pretty low for a car in this category. Not a heavy car by all means, weighs about the same as my Mini, but the aerodynamics of it have to have some drawback.

When the PT originally came out was interested in buying one and rented one for a few days for a long trip. Needless to say while I liked the looks of the PT it was very underpowered considering you can fill it up with people and carry-ons pretty well. It did not move very well. And the PT is 150 HP!

Honestly I am scared to think how the Scion would perform with a full house and some luggage.

All this being said, I have a feeling this car will be everywhere due to its price and must say that Scion coupe on the website looks pretty sweet.

#12 of 20 Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,629 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted February 08 2004 - 11:44 PM

Actually, the SCION radio is not a bad option because it can play MP3s and also has sort of the look of a stock Toyota radio. I know folks with MR2s who are buying Scion radios because the head units are MP3 capable and they wont have to give up the look of the stock dash. Plus the fact that for some strange reason, the backlit Panasonic head units are blacklit green whereas the rest of the MR2 dashboard is backlit Orange/Red. Kind of out of place. The one downside of the Scion radio is no pre-outs.

However, for those of the Toyota crowd looking to replace their head unit with an MP3 one and who wants a sort of stock look, the Scion head unit is a direct fit for the MR2 at least.

Not a big fan of the xB either, I saw one at a Toyota dealership near me, but I love my MR2!

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#13 of 20 Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 02:14 AM

Any car whose website paraphrases Ferris Bueller is okay with me. Posted Image

#14 of 20 Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 04:05 AM

I like the styling, but then again I did buy an Element last year. There was a picture a while back of an xB limo that was out in California.

108 HP is low, but getting 31 MPG is where its at. My Element gets 24 MPG with its 160HP, so that isn't too shabby for a boxy hybrid shape.

What color is your xB?

#15 of 20 FredHD

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 09:58 AM

Quote:
What color is your xB?

We got the blue onyx pearl. The paint is really nice. It color perception changes with different light sources.

In the sun, it looks blue, but if you change angles it can look black or purple.

The 108 HP performs better than one might expect. I had 4 people loaded in last night and saw no performance drop whatsoever between that and just driving by myself.

Yes, the look is dekinitely unique. Either you love it or you hate it, but I would highly suggest seeing one in person.
"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
Albert Einstein, physicist, Nobel Prize 1921

#16 of 20 Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted February 09 2004 - 03:11 PM

108hp doesn't sound like much, but the car does have good torque at lower to midrange rpms, unlike so many of the screamers that advertise 180hp but only make that power above 6500 rpm.

The Scion only weighs about 2500 lbs, and despite it's boxy appearance has a drag co-efficient of only .29 (about the same as a Camry, which looks a lot more slippery).

The Toyota Echo uses the same engine, weighs about a hundred pounds less, but has a taller final drive. Performance of the Echo is quite good even with an automatic, I'd suspect the Scion XB should do fine for most normal drivers.

I've seen few cars of any size with as much rear seat head and legroom. I'm 6'3" and can sit in the back with the front seat all the way back and still have gobs of legroom.

The Toyota dealer where I work (in the service dept.) just added the Scion line last week, we're quite impressed with it.

The upcoming coupe should really steal some sales from the Civic EX coupe.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#17 of 20 Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted February 10 2004 - 02:49 AM

Geeez... for a split-second, I thought the title of this thread was "I Got My Silica!" Posted Image

Obviously, I haven't had enough coffee yet. Posted Image Congrats on your new purchase! Posted Image

#18 of 20 Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor

• 729 posts

Posted February 11 2004 - 04:57 AM

PTs Drool?

Man, those are fighting words!

As for the PT being aimed at "younger owners" I don't really know about that. I am 33 (today!), and yes there are older owning as well, but the PT has been aimed, IMHO, at as close to cross demographics as any car can get these days.

I really didn't mind the original PT, having rented one or two for a week, but LOVE my GT Cruiser. The Turbo has loads of torque, and when you wind up the turbo, it is a real gas to drive!

The aftermarket has really exploded for the PT as well.

Can't say I am impressed with the looks of the scion, but if you enjoy it, that is really what matters!

Edited for spelling

"Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there really is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it."

#19 of 20 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted February 11 2004 - 10:31 AM

Got in one yesterday in Austin. My needs include a column shift and no console....so, no...the Scion won't work for me. But I liked the way it looked.
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#20 of 20 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted February 11 2004 - 05:32 PM

How do you pronounce "Scion", SY-on or SKEE-on?

I just watched Dogma yesterday, they called Fiorentino's character the Last SY-on, which I thought was some sci-fi/fantasy gobbledegook, but it wasn't until a little later I cottoned on that they meant "scion" and then I figured she had to be
related to Christ

Forum Nav Content I Follow