I Got My Scion !!!!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by FredHD, Feb 7, 2004.

1. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

After much shopping, test driving, researching, and comparing, my wife and I have finally taken delivery of our first new car, the Scion XB. And we love it. It is great for the price. If anyone is looking into them and has any questions, please let me know.

XBs Rule, PT Cruisers Drool !!!

www.scion.com

2. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Congrats on the new car. [​IMG]

As for me I don't like the Scion XB's looks one bit.
    [​IMG]
    I'd probably go for a used car before I bought one. But hey, to each his own and as long as you're happy.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Nice... Its a cool little car, i've read about it in Car and Driver... Definitely unique, not your average looking car [​IMG]

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

So who makes Scion?

5. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

Scion is made by Toyota. They were only available in California initially and are gradually rolling out nationwide this year. The first Scions just started appearing in New England a couple months ago.

-greg

6. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Congrats on the new car. My family recently bought an '04 Toyota Matrix. We did look at a Scion but we weren't all that impressed with it, to each his own though. Enjoy!

7. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

Jackson .. congrats on the car. It is nice to drive a new car!

Here in NY, I keep seeing billboards for them all over the place. Seems they are geared towards the tuner crowd, with customizing them being the top sales pitch.

How does it drive? How many ponies under the hood?

Just hope they don't end up like the PT, which was also aimed at younger people and ended up beign bought by older people for nostalgic reasons.

Personally, I do like the new Mazda 3 series better, but as long as it puts a smile on your face when you drive it, that is all that matters [​IMG]

8. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Yes, I've seen these Scions around here for quite some time. I'm afraid they aren't what I would want. Doesn't "Scion" mean "son of" as in SOB?

[​IMG]

For the record, this is what I personally think a car should look like.

9. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

this is what I wish I could get
    [​IMG]

10. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

It always scares me when a company seems to spend more time talking about the stereo than the car. Check out the web site, the stereo page is more detailed than the cars' specs page.

11. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

Well to answer my own question above, I just looked at the Scion website and realized that it only has 108 HP. This is pretty low for a car in this category. Not a heavy car by all means, weighs about the same as my Mini, but the aerodynamics of it have to have some drawback.

When the PT originally came out was interested in buying one and rented one for a few days for a long trip. Needless to say while I liked the looks of the PT it was very underpowered considering you can fill it up with people and carry-ons pretty well. It did not move very well. And the PT is 150 HP!

Honestly I am scared to think how the Scion would perform with a full house and some luggage.

All this being said, I have a feeling this car will be everywhere due to its price and must say that Scion coupe on the website looks pretty sweet.

12. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Actually, the SCION radio is not a bad option because it can play MP3s and also has sort of the look of a stock Toyota radio. I know folks with MR2s who are buying Scion radios because the head units are MP3 capable and they wont have to give up the look of the stock dash. Plus the fact that for some strange reason, the backlit Panasonic head units are blacklit green whereas the rest of the MR2 dashboard is backlit Orange/Red. Kind of out of place. The one downside of the Scion radio is no pre-outs.

However, for those of the Toyota crowd looking to replace their head unit with an MP3 one and who wants a sort of stock look, the Scion head unit is a direct fit for the MR2 at least.

Not a big fan of the xB either, I saw one at a Toyota dealership near me, but I love my MR2!

Jay

13. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Any car whose website paraphrases Ferris Bueller is okay with me. [​IMG]

14. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I like the styling, but then again I did buy an Element last year. There was a picture a while back of an xB limo that was out in California.

108 HP is low, but getting 31 MPG is where its at. My Element gets 24 MPG with its 160HP, so that isn't too shabby for a boxy hybrid shape.

What color is your xB?

15. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

We got the blue onyx pearl. The paint is really nice. It color perception changes with different light sources.

In the sun, it looks blue, but if you change angles it can look black or purple.

The 108 HP performs better than one might expect. I had 4 people loaded in last night and saw no performance drop whatsoever between that and just driving by myself.

Yes, the look is dekinitely unique. Either you love it or you hate it, but I would highly suggest seeing one in person.

16. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

108hp doesn't sound like much, but the car does have good torque at lower to midrange rpms, unlike so many of the screamers that advertise 180hp but only make that power above 6500 rpm.

The Scion only weighs about 2500 lbs, and despite it's boxy appearance has a drag co-efficient of only .29 (about the same as a Camry, which looks a lot more slippery).

The Toyota Echo uses the same engine, weighs about a hundred pounds less, but has a taller final drive. Performance of the Echo is quite good even with an automatic, I'd suspect the Scion XB should do fine for most normal drivers.

I've seen few cars of any size with as much rear seat head and legroom. I'm 6'3" and can sit in the back with the front seat all the way back and still have gobs of legroom.

The Toyota dealer where I work (in the service dept.) just added the Scion line last week, we're quite impressed with it.

The upcoming coupe should really steal some sales from the Civic EX coupe.

17. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Geeez... for a split-second, I thought the title of this thread was "I Got My Silica!" [​IMG]

Obviously, I haven't had enough coffee yet. [​IMG] Congrats on your new purchase! [​IMG]

18. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

PTs Drool?

Man, those are fighting words!

As for the PT being aimed at "younger owners" I don't really know about that. I am 33 (today!), and yes there are older owning as well, but the PT has been aimed, IMHO, at as close to cross demographics as any car can get these days.

I really didn't mind the original PT, having rented one or two for a week, but LOVE my GT Cruiser. The Turbo has loads of torque, and when you wind up the turbo, it is a real gas to drive!

The aftermarket has really exploded for the PT as well.

Can't say I am impressed with the looks of the scion, but if you enjoy it, that is really what matters!

Edited for spelling

19. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Got in one yesterday in Austin. My needs include a column shift and no console....so, no...the Scion won't work for me. But I liked the way it looked.

20. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    How do you pronounce "Scion", SY-on or SKEE-on?

I just watched Dogma yesterday, they called Fiorentino's character the Last SY-on, which I thought was some sci-fi/fantasy gobbledegook, but it wasn't until a little later I cottoned on that they meant "scion" and then I figured she had to be related to Christ