Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Tax Software (TT vs. TC)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 of 37 OFFLINE   Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor

• 806 posts

Posted March 12 2005 - 12:05 PM

TC worked great for me. Already have my refund Posted Image

Mike

#22 of 37 OFFLINE   Ken Chui

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted March 12 2005 - 09:15 PM

Same here with the refund. I've been using TC for about three years now (including this year's return) and would recommend it to first-time users.

#23 of 37 OFFLINE   Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted March 13 2005 - 03:19 AM

Have you guys considered preparing your taxes online? For the last 2-3 years now, I've been preparing and e-filing my taxes online. TaxCut has an online prep and e-filing service. With this route, you don't have to load any software onto your PC.

#24 of 37 OFFLINE   WayneO

WayneO

Supporting Actor

• 625 posts

Posted March 13 2005 - 03:46 PM

I've used TaxACT Online for three years now. I believe their is just a regular software version as well. I just login every year and update the previous years info and I'm done. Since the first time using it, I've gotten married, bought a house, started paying off school loans.........it's been painless and easy to file.
If the best advice is "listen for yourself", then why offer your opinion?

#25 of 37 OFFLINE   Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor

• 646 posts

Posted March 14 2005 - 03:33 AM

I have used TaxCut for the last few years and will probably use it again this year. The only downside... I have to file partial years in 2 states this year. So with TaxCut Deluxe, I will have 1 state for "free" and will probably have to pay more for the other state... Or is there somewhere where you can do detailed state taxes online for free?

#26 of 37 OFFLINE   LewB

LewB

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted January 06 2008 - 02:22 AM

Time to revive this chestnut ...
Any NEW reasons not to switch from Turbo Tax to Tax Cut ?
I plan on switching from TT to TC this year because of the changes Intuit has made to Quicken, here's why:
In past years, when buying TT, you would get a rebate from Inutit that would cover the cost of the 'Basic' version of Quicken for the new year.
This year, you get the same rebate (up to $30), but the 'Basic' version of Quicken has ben replace by the 'Starter' version. The Starter version does not allow you to import your data from a previous version of Quicken. If you want this year's version of Quicken to migrate from last year's version, you need to buy the 'Deluxe' version of Quicken for around $60. Posted Image
Now Intuit guarantees that they get at least $30 from it's established users that upgrade to this year's version.
Yeah, I got spoiled by the 'free' upgrades, but I really don't need anything more than the basic Quicken.

#27 of 37 OFFLINE   Greg*go

Greg*go

Supporting Actor

• 941 posts

Posted January 07 2008 - 11:27 AM

Was this questioned ever answered? Can you e-file multiple returns if you purchase either TT or TC?
I certainly don't expect anyone to remember me 65 years after I die, but you wouldn't know that from the way I act.

#28 of 37 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 12 2008 - 04:16 AM

You can definitely file multiple returns from TaxCut. I've done that, I don't know about TT.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#29 of 37 OFFLINE   Greg*go

Greg*go

Supporting Actor

• 941 posts

Posted January 13 2008 - 10:08 AM

You've done multiple e-file returns or regular returns? I suppose it's ok if I only get 1 e-file. I'd just like to know what I'm getting. The TC website doesn't specify how many e-files you get.
I certainly don't expect anyone to remember me 65 years after I die, but you wouldn't know that from the way I act.

#30 of 37 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,627 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 21 2008 - 05:34 AM

Has anyone looked into the online version of TaxCut this year? The previous two years, I've used the basic online TaxCut for $9.99 plus e-file to great success. This year, the basic online version is nowhere to be found, replaced by a "Premium + E-file" which is $19.95 but includes the e-file. I'm single, a renter, with one source of income and no investments so I don't need anything fancy.

#31 of 37 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,822 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted January 21 2008 - 08:40 AM

I'm total confused as to why they're offering a deal on personal finance software that's 3+ years old! Posted Image

Oh, this thread is from 2004... Posted Image

But I'm interested in the quality of TaxCut (packaged, though, not online). I'm upgrading my personal finance program, and I figure I might as well get tax software to play with as well.

#32 of 37 OFFLINE   Greg*go

Greg*go

Supporting Actor

• 941 posts

Posted January 23 2008 - 11:56 AM

Anyone have an answer to this?

#33 of 37 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,627 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 25 2008 - 11:10 AM

Thanks so much for the link! For once, being young and poor is an advantage rather than a disadvantage.Posted Image

#34 of 37 ONLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,380 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted January 27 2008 - 09:19 PM

hmm , i just ought the $40 tt software. maybe i should have picked up tc.
facebook.com/whotony

#35 of 37 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted January 28 2008 - 03:19 AM

I used the on-line version of Turbo Tax since I get a corporate discount and my W-2 info can be imported in. Since I'm a first time home buyer I needed the help of a tax prep package. It was nice seeing the refund numbers go up as I started to add the interest, points, property taxes, etc. to my deductions. First time I had enough deductions to itemize. Well worth the $25.00 I spent. One nice thing about Virginia is that you can do your state return on-line for free through their Department of Taxation's website. Something the feds don't allow due to the power of the tax prep lobby.

#36 of 37 OFFLINE   LewB

LewB

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted February 02 2008 - 02:10 AM

I found 1 VERY important difference (at least to me) between the 2 programs. Turbo Tax allows you to import info for your brokerage accounts, while I did not see that included with Tax Cut. I've become used to (lazy) importing my brokerage info when doing my taxes. I will stay with Turbo Tax even though I'm not crazy about Intuit and the way they support Quicken.

#37 of 37 OFFLINE   NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,654 posts

Posted February 03 2008 - 04:34 AM

I've used Tax Cut for the past few years and had used Turbo tax before that. They both seem to work just as well as each other as far as I am concerned. Tax Cut has had better deals when I've gone to purchase it. I just got it (Premium Fed +State) plus Veronica Mars S3 (for "free") today. Plus I have a $10 rebate certificate I can send in. The only unfortunate thing is that I just noticed that they don't support WindowsME any more. So, I need to use a different PC in the house (which has XP). I also really should get a new computer for my nominal home stuff (it is about 7 years old), but I'll address that in another thread. Neil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users