Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

An easy one: size boards to use for columns and soffit.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted January 05 2004 - 12:15 PM

I am try to keep costs down wherever I can, and I'm getting sick of buying overpriced lumber. I think I'm going to build a couple of small columns (probably a foot wide, maybe 4 or 6 inches deep) and a soffit to hide wires and add some visual appeal.

Can I use 2x2s? 1x2 furring strips? Must I use more 2x4s?

(This post probably shows my lack of construction experience, but I'm having fun and that's what counts, right?)

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,524 posts

Posted January 06 2004 - 01:55 AM

You can use 2x2s since they are not structural. You wouldn't want to go smaller if you're drywalling, you want something to drive the screws in. You might want to look up some framing websites to learn the techniques and look at framing details. It's not intuitive and if you frame it right it will save you time and $. I've done some carpentry and every time I open up a non-enlightened home owner built wall/sofit, I crack up. People use some interesting techniques.
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted January 06 2004 - 04:32 AM

Thanks Mark. I once saw my brother-in-law put linoleum over carpet. You never know what you are going to find when you start tearing into other people's home "improvements".