What's new

An easy one: size boards to use for columns and soffit. (1 Viewer)

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
I am try to keep costs down wherever I can, and I'm getting sick of buying overpriced lumber. I think I'm going to build a couple of small columns (probably a foot wide, maybe 4 or 6 inches deep) and a soffit to hide wires and add some visual appeal.

Can I use 2x2s? 1x2 furring strips? Must I use more 2x4s?

(This post probably shows my lack of construction experience, but I'm having fun and that's what counts, right?)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
You can use 2x2s since they are not structural. You wouldn't want to go smaller if you're drywalling, you want something to drive the screws in. You might want to look up some framing websites to learn the techniques and look at framing details. It's not intuitive and if you frame it right it will save you time and $. I've done some carpentry and every time I open up a non-enlightened home owner built wall/sofit, I crack up. People use some interesting techniques.

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
Thanks Mark. I once saw my brother-in-law put linoleum over carpet. You never know what you are going to find when you start tearing into other people's home "improvements".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks