Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TiVo and Spousal Acceptance Factor

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter

• 1,004 posts

Posted January 01 2004 - 05:48 AM

I used Christmas money to buy myself a DirecTV/TiVo unit. I've been wanting one for a long time but kept hitting the Spousal Acceptance Wall. She was none too happy to have yet another electronic device to master. Flashback to last May, 2003. My wife Julie's garden was featured on a show called Southwest Yard and Garden. It's broadcast on some minor PBS station, I never knew which one. The producers promised to mail us a tape and never did. So we'd never seen the episode featuring Julie. A couple of days ago, I programmed TiVo to find and record Southwest Yard and Garden whenever, wherever it was on. It recorded three shows. I checked the shows yesterday and voila, there was Julie's episode! Instant Spousal Acceptance for TiVo! Jan
Jan Strnad

aka J. Knight,
author of Risen and Boo.

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Alf S

Alf S

Screenwriter

• 1,597 posts

Posted January 01 2004 - 11:48 AM

My wife is a big fan of our Directivo as well...she keeps asking "when are the local channels coming!?" so she can tape network stuff(not in Tulsa yet)
WOOSAH!.

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted January 01 2004 - 11:56 AM

Alf, I have the same problem right now. If Directv doesn't come thru shortly I'm going to be forced to make other moves. I love my Directivo though.

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   larry mac

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted January 01 2004 - 02:02 PM

Rule #1: The PVR is the man's domain only! She doesn't need to know how to operate it; in fact, it should seem so complicated and intimitating that she won't even want to mess with it. Make sure she has a nice TV in the bedroom and the problem is solved. You don't want spouses or children involved with the PVR! They will want to record all manner of foolishness and things will never be the same again.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Jasmine Meathe

Jasmine Meathe

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted January 02 2004 - 07:05 AM

Hey--that's not true. I'm happily married and my husband and I both WaNTED a Tivo..and I know more about it than him. He knows a lot too, but since I know more, he leaves it up to me to mess with. What features do you guys like the best? I'm a fan of the Season's Pass option..

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter

• 1,004 posts

Posted January 02 2004 - 10:04 AM

I definitely go with Spousal Inclusion whenever possible. You can spend twice as much, twice as often. Jan
Jan Strnad

aka J. Knight,
author of Risen and Boo.

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Brian Glaeske

Brian Glaeske

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted January 02 2004 - 11:58 AM

I'm sure that is what they think of the stuff you are recording also. Posted Image

Brian G.

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted January 02 2004 - 04:23 PM

I'm with you Jan. My wife got me a Tivo for Christmas. We both love it. The first thing I did was setup a Season Pass for each of her soaps. Now she just skims through 'em, watching only the parts that she's interested, and deletes them when she's done.

Now to get her to spring for a few hard drives... Posted Image
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   larry mac

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted January 02 2004 - 04:27 PM

My comments were made tongue-in -cheek (although they are true). They mirror a bit that was done on The Ticket, our local sports talk radio station here in big D (it has a dicidedly male bent). I thought it was really funny, but then again, you have to have a warped sense of humor to laugh at some of their stuff.

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Kevin Stewart

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit

• 359 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted January 02 2004 - 04:52 PM

I listened to the ticket in Dallas once. Actually, I think you need no sense of humor to laugh at their stuff. Regarding the wife acceptance (and family), just buy them each their own. We have two directivo's in the living room, one in our bedroom and one in my office. Works out great. Stew
"the dream never dies, just the dreamer"

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   BenS

BenS

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted January 04 2004 - 11:59 PM

My wife absolutely loves our directivo and always tells our friends that they need one. So after you get one she will love it. But my wife was concerned with the new device to learn but now she hates watching regular regular directv.
Thanks,

Ben

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Shana

Shana

Stunt Coordinator

• 207 posts

Posted January 06 2004 - 08:29 AM

A fan of The Ticket. That explains alot.

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Ronald Aguilar

Ronald Aguilar

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 06:23 AM

My wife loves our DirecTivo. Out of all the electronics, this is the one that she talks to her friends and family about. She even sat her mother down to teach her how to use it when we go on dates. Now she has one! If you have kids, you owe it to yourself to get them their own Tivo. I wouldn't be able to watch TV if they didn't have there own because they would be watching our TV all the time. My kids are now old enough to record any show they want (well within the guidelines of the parental lock I set up). My wife was telling our neighbor down the street (who has a new born and a 3 year old) why she needed a Tivo (all the late night feedings). Well she bought one for her husband for Christmas (he wasn't even asking for it). It is really for her! Ron A.

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   ChadM

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator

• 234 posts

Posted January 14 2004 - 11:42 PM

My wife loved our first Tivo so much she made me go buy another for the bedroom!

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   David Nelson

David Nelson

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted January 22 2004 - 04:48 PM

I've started to believe that my wife now loves her own Tivo more than she loves me. Possibly because I occasionally forget things, and her Tivo does not. Posted Image

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter

• 1,004 posts

Posted January 28 2004 - 03:55 AM

Just one quick update: Southwest Yard and Garden did finally send a tape. I feel like a shill for TiVo when I talk about it, but it's truly one of the best home video products ever. The manual is also terrific...why can't they all be written this well? I'll admit that when TiVo first came out, my reaction was a big, "Huh?" I didn't think it had a prayer of succeeding. Now (since we're in touchy-feely mode) I feel as if I've gotten out of a psychotic, dysfunctional relationship with my television and into a warm, nurturing one. Jan
Jan Strnad

aka J. Knight,
author of Risen and Boo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users