What's new

Metallica disgusts me (1 Viewer)

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
So I hear that Metallica is coming back to Vancouver with Godsmack, and I think right on, until I found out that floor tickets are $95.50cdn + service charges!!! :angry:

Metallica's greed is absolutely disgusting, no band should charge anywhere near that for one of their shows. If this was an all day festival gig or something it would be fine but this is a 2 band arena show!

Needless to say I wont be going to this one, I just had to vent at the rediculous ticket price. Talk about gouging your fans. Compare that to Pearl Jam earlier this year in the same venue, tickets were only $39. Thats a band that respects its fans unlike Metallica who try and get every single penny they can.

Sure Metallica is a 'superband' and can commmand big bucks but come on, show a little respect for your fans. Its really hard to be sympathetic to artists who, arguably, lose money from downloading when they show no sympathy to their fans.

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
A rock/metal band should never charge that much. Sure I'll spend a bit extra to see a legend like Bowie or Clapton but I'm afraid that kind of price for Metalica isn't funny. They ain't in the same league as a U2, Rolling Stones or Guns and Roses etc. :thumbsdown:

Shane D

Supporting Actor
But dont you remember lars saying they lose more money from the lawyers to stop downloading than they do from the downloads?

i gave up on metallica along time ago.

about the time load came out.

my friend told me, (dont know if its true or not)
that he saw them on mtv once apologising for their earlier music (thier best stuff in my opinion) and that just made me really lose any interest in them

and as far as ticket prices go, no concert should be over 30 bucks, i dont really care who you are, your touring for your fans to see you and to sell albums, not to make your fans poor.

George See

Second Unit

Two polar extremes here, I don't think i've ever seen a band do for their fans what Pearl Jam does. From the fanclub tickets to the low price bootlegs (so fans don't have to pay 25.00 a cd in some seedy record store down in the city). 90+ IMHO had better be a 4+ hour concert IMHO no matter who your going to see. I skipped out on BB King recently just because of the high ticket prices, even for the cheap seats they were talking 75 a ticket.

JordanS

Second Unit
I'd pay that high dollar for Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Radiohead, Dire Straits, The Eagles, etc etc

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
I wouldn't pay $95 to see any band...Past or Present. Well......

maybe if I found out Elvis wasn't really dead...;)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
95 CAD is around 71 USD right now.

I was so excited when I read this morning that Metallica is going to be playing here in Tucson. I've seen them 3 times before elsewhere and they're a great live band, but I'd love to hear the new songs live (I love the "St Anger" CD). But I'm not willing to pay that much... we'll see how much they are, I was hoping for around $40 for some decent seats. I guess I can kiss that goodbye. I haven't been to an arena concert in ages, so I've been used to paying around $10-$20 for tickets... :)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
For $90 Metallica had better supply the beer, weed, and after-show hamburgers for the entire crowd. :)

First they bitch that they're being robbed, then they rob us.:thumbsdown:

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein

with their pre black album stuff, they were most certainly in the same league as those bands, musically. they certainly arent playing similar styles but they they did what they used to do as well as the above mentioned bands do what they do.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy

:laugh:

$95.00 + service charges to go see a washed up metal band? No thanks. Their greedy bastards that don't deserve a cent from me.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
after paying nearly 3 bills to see U2 (special gift for my girlfriend) i decided i'm *never* paying big dollars for any band...even my favorites.

i'm all about the cheap lawn seats now. i mean, how long can you stare at the band before you start going bonko anyway?

i'm there for the music....which i can hear just as clearly from the back.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Sorry to break the news, but $71 US isn't exactly expensive these days, especially not for a band of Metallica's stature. Go ahead and get mad at top prices of $250 or up for some acts - $71 is damned reasonable in this day and age, so I don't share your anger...

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I have to agree with Colin. Also, your anger shouldn't be directed at the band, who deserve to be able to charge what they can to be hired. Look at the promoters, insurance companies, and all the previous fans who rioted at heavy metal concerts in Vancouver. You can bet the cost for security and insurance on this gig is going to be astronomical, and that is certainly going to jack ticket prices as a result.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale

While it is true that many years ago bands lost money playing live and only did it to sell albums (plus hopefully because they enjoyed it), the age of corporate sponsors has changed all that. They now tour to make money. It is certainly nice when a band tries to make their concerts affordable, but they do not tour FOR their fans, they tour because it's their job and they're trying to make money.

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator
random rants/thoughts, not directed at anyone in particular:

$71 is not reasonable. it's robbery. i don't care what costs are built into the price.

bowie is touring now and "only" charging about $50, at least in the ad i saw. that guy is more legend than metallica, and at least he's still making quality music.

i also saw an ad for britney spears upcoming tour, and the higher end tix were $70+. i'm sure there are a lot of teenagers who can afford that.

i went to see rush on their last tour, that $75 was the most i'd ever paid for a ticket. my friend had to talk me into it, big time.

many of the bands i listen to now play in the $20 range. i don't wanna go to the bloody enormo-dome and sit way back in the middle of the parking lot to see a show.

if $75 is the going rate, i generally won't be going. bands that are that big don't need my money.

mogwai, for example, for $20 is light years better than metallica for $75, plus i have some money left over for beer.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yeah, there's no one that I'd pay $75 or more to see.

In fact, I see a lot of bands in clubs and pay far less. I very rarely go to big arena concerts anymore. Pay more, get less, no thank you.

Jason

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I dunno, $71.00 fot Metallica and Godsmack. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Yeah, it's expensive for a concert, but how out of line is it compared to something like a Rolling Stones concert?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The point isn't how expensive Metallica tickets are in comparison to other acts, but the high price of concert tickets IN GENERAL. In my opinion it's just another example of how out of touch most of the music business is with their audiences. They gripe about piracy on the net and declining sales, yet price concert tickets and CDs right out of the ballpark. There are too many moneygrubbers with their fingers in the pie. $70 for a Metallica concert? Over $100 for the Rolling(Comatose) Stones? I don't care how you try to rationalize or justify prices like that - they're just too high.

Sorry Metallica et. al., but I refuse to "buy" into it, vote with my wallet, and spend my discretionary income elsewhere. You should all drink at the spring of Pearl Jam and learn how to treat your fans. Eddie Vedder for President!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.