What's new

Yes- life after Steve Howe (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
This thread is a spinoff of the jazz thread, where Jeff Keene and I started chatting about Yes' new stuff.
So, if I get both Keys to Ascensions, I'd have all the stuff that's on the new Keystudio album, right?
I have already heard everything Yes did at least once, except Magnification and The Ladder. My abject distaste for everything after Going For The One is a holdover from my prog-snob days, which I'm currently fighting to get over. I was disgusted by it because it's so different and such a step down from the Close to the Edge stuff. I don't think I'll ever change my mind about that, because I love that stuff so much. The difference in my mindset now, though, is that I'm fighting my irrational impulse to compare- 90125 doesn't have to be as good as Fragile in order to like it. It's pop music, and that's fine (in my snob days, I didn't like pop).
All I have currently is The Yes Album through and including Going For the One and Yesshows. How do I know if I have the remastered versions, though?
Anyway, I didn't get the first two because they sounded a little too cute for me, but I remember it not being bad. Cute isn't bad. I think I'll pick them up, and maybe that compilation of radio broadcasts that I've seen around.
I give Tormato a lot of grief, but I could never get over Circus of Heaven. If that isn't the worst Yes song ever, I don't know what is. I've also read that the band was low on morale when they made it (not surprising since they broke up after), and it sounds like it. But Release, Release was a good track and maybe a couple of others. If I see it for less than 10 bucks I'll pick it up and skip over the truly awful ones.
Off Drama, I like Tempus Fugit a lot. I remember there being some very silly stuff on it, though.
I remember liking maybe half of Open Your Eyes, so I might pick that up.
One Yes album I've never heard a kind word about is Talk. I don't even remember if I heard it.
I've even started considering getting into Genesis' pop music. Gosh, what next, recent Metallica? Nah, I can't go that far. ;)
Well, that's my Yes ramblings. Have a nice day.
NP: Ella Fitzgerald, Mack the Knife
P.S.: Yes, Tales From Topographic Oceans is a masterpiece.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

Check out the new Symphonic Yes DVD, it's most interesting. As for the remastered question, I just ordered several of my old albums on CD from BMG, and don't quote me, but I think they were remastered within the last five years. As for content, I generally only listen to The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to The Edge, Relayer, and Going for the One. Tales, Tormato, and Drama are unlistenable abysmal failures (IMHO), though I do like Tempus Fugit. Trevor Horn was a chapter best left forgotten. As for the stuff post Big Generator, I'm kind of at a loss. I like the song "Homeworld", but everything else might as well be Air Supply or Journey, to my ears. Great band, though. Wish they would get back to their more adventurous (and tuneful) stuff, like in the early '70's. Regards, Jan.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Both Keys to Ascension are good, and include some studio numbers reminiscent of the mid 70's stuff.
Genesis, including Duke and before, should still be on your list too! :)

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
I'm really surprised that you haven't heard a kind word about Talk. I think it's the single best Yes album since Going for the One. There are a couple of stinkers ("Where Will You Be" is a snooze fest), but the opening and closing songs are magnificent, especially the climactic "Endless Dream."

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I like the latest studio effort, magnification. I think it is one of their better recent releases. I think it's worth a listen

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
TomCW, I have never heard that album. The only Howe album I have and heard is a live solo performance.

His playing is what got me into Yes in the first place, and one of the reasons I never got into the 80s stuff.
Slide guitar in prog. Man, that's the most.

NP: Wynton Marsalis, Live at the Village Vanguard, disc 5

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Getting both Keys To Ascention are required. Great material, and the original stuff is probably the closest they've come to their 70s greatness.

I've only heard Talk a couple of times, and it put me to sleep.

The Ladder and Magnification are actually quite good. It isn't 70s Yes, but it is probably as close as we are going to get nowadays.

I remember liking maybe half of Open Your Eyes, so I might pick that up.
For the love of god, don't! Horrible album. Basically, it is a Chris Squire solo album with Yes performing on it. From what I heard, it was released because the band just signed a record deal, and they needed an album right away.

Jason

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
Just another comment to pick up the new Symphonic DVD. Very well done. Sound and picture are superb. It's mostly classic Yes songs including Close to the Edge, Gates of Delirium, and Ritual. There are a few new songs from Magnification on it too. The orchestra adds to the music and isn't over used. I was very impressed and think it will probably beat out Deja Vroom as my favorite concert DVD.

Dennis_H

PS. Pass on the Close your Ears (I mean Open Your Eyes) album.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ah, you guys don't understand: if I start collecting later Yes stuff, I can't just not have one. I'm very obsessive. :)

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunately, I do understand... That's why I currently own the Close Your Ears and ladder CDs. It's also why I'll probably pick up the Magnification DVD-A disk not having a DVD-A player. I will NOT be picking up the 'Yet Another Yes Boxset' or whatever they're calling it. 5 CDs and 6 new songs... I don't think so... I tend to get a little obsessive with CDs too. I'm trying to break the habit so I can dig myself out of my highly levereged position (bunch of debt, to most people).

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Since nobody asked, here's my rating of the Yes albums.

Yes - 6
Time and a Word - 6.5
The Yes Album - 8.5
Fragile - 9.5
Close to the Edge - 10.0
Tales - 8.5
Relayer - 7.5
Going for the One - 6.0
Tormato - 6.5
Drama - 6.5
90125 - 8.0
Big Generator - 7.0
ABWH - 9.0
Union - 7.0
Talk - 6.5
Open Your Eyes - 4.0
Keystudio - 7.5
The Ladder - 6.0
Magnification - 8.5

NP: Symphonic Yes DVD-V

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
I like the latest studio effort, magnification.
Me too. I like it more everytime I hear it, which is a lot of times already. Like I said in the other thread, it took me a minute to get into it, but now I'm totally in. Best since ABWH, which is the best since Tales, IMO.

BTW, I noticed the title of the thread is life after Steve Howe. Howe has only been absent for 3 albums. He was on Tormato, Drama, ABWH, half of Union, Open Your Eyes, Keystudio (awesome guitar on this), The Ladder, and the latest. His guitar work is still stellar. Steve shines especially on Magnification. I just love that man.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
See, I really love Awaken. That and Parallels are the reason I like Going for the One. I could leave or take the rest.

Holy smack, I remember that camera song! Man, is there anything worse than prog lyrics?

I called the thread "life after Steve Howe" because, with all the lineup changes, he's the guy that I personally identify with Yes, so without him, it just seems... wrong. But, there goes that comparing thing I'm trying to stop.

NP: Wynton Marsalis, Live at the Village Vanguard, disc 7

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
EVERYONE LOVES AWAKEN. I noticed at the Union tour, and then again a couple of nights ago. This is the tune that gets the most excitement. Jon Anderson has expressed the he believes it is the best Yes composition ever. They really seem to have been hitting on all cylinders with that one.

It does nothing for me. I am a weirdo. Weirdo, weirdo.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I'll admit I'm not the biggest yes fan since the glory days of their 1970s music doesn't really grab me. To me, being a yes fan one must enjoy their 70s music. Perhaps I didn't give it much of a chance and since I have their older 4 disc box set I'll give it another listen.

However, I find Union and Talk to be brilliant. The first 8 or 9 tracks of Union are great and then it does get a little boring, although still quite listenable. With Talk some tunes get the forward treatment but 3 really stick out. The opening track, the fifth track Walls and the last track are the goods. The last track still sends chills up the spine. Walls is one of my all time favorite songs, ever. I suggest giving the disc a try and as far as the recording goes, very detailed although a tad bright.

And open your eyes for me too has been listen-to-twice-and-put-back-in-the-rack-forever disc. But I will give it another try.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
I've seen Yes a half-dozen times over the past few tours, and each time I'd swore would be my last, because the shows really aren't anything inventive anymore. (Gates of Delirium on the Masterworks tour, though...)

But, I saw the setlist for the new YesShows 2002 tour, and they're playing
South Side of the Sky

Wow. I must see this. That's one song I've always wanted to see Yes play (instead, I've seen Starship Troopers 6 times...). And, Wakeman is touring with them again!

Hopefully they'll do a Euro tour this fall.

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
Going to see them tonight, and it's the first concert in years that I've been really looking forward to. Can't wait til 8:00!!

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
All I have currently is The Yes Album through and including Going For the One and Yesshows. How do I know if I have the remastered versions, though?
Check out the All Music Guide site. You can search for an artist, and select the album you're curious about. At the bottom of the album's page you'll see a list of CD and LP releases by date. Compare the catalog numbers versus the ones on your CDs and it should give you a clue as to whether or not you have the remastered versions.
-Mike...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks