What's new

Metallica disgusts me (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
The tickets are priced $75 and $55 for the concert in Phoenix, the ones in Tucson haven't gone on sale yet, but I imagine they'll be the same. I'm still debating whether I should buy tickets or not, that'd be the most I've ever paid for concert tickets, and I have no interest in the opening act...

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Vote with your wallet. If the concerts don't sell well, maybe they'll get a clue. I refuse to pay any where near that much for a concert. I'd much rather see an up and coming band in a smaller venue.

aaron campbell

Second Unit
I'll tell you what's disgusting is Bozo from U2 wanting countries to forgive foreign debts and charging ticket prices like they do.

Aaron

Evan S

Senior HTF Member

Tickets aren't $71. They are $95. Don't forget, this is a Canadian living in Canada. The tickets may be $71 for an American crossing the border to go to the show, but for the gentleman posting...it's costing HIM the full $95, which I agree is too much coin for any show.

When I was in Toronto last year, face value for premium seats to go see the Toronto Maple Leafs were over $300. FACE VALUE!!! Now, even if I wanted to buy them with my dollar (which I didn't), they would be $225 or so...but for Canadians, that's what they are playing...they don't get the benefit of any exchange rate.

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
If you are a huge fan of the bands in question, then $95 is a no-brainer. Yes, ticket prices are astronomical. But so are sports tickets. The reason they charge these high prices is because they can command it. Metallica will sell out nearly every show. Same thing with all these pop stars. The day they can't sell out a show, prices will fall. It's simple supply and demand. So just because you won't go doesn't mean they can't find someone to replace you. Instead of complaining about the band, accept the fact that they are popular enough to demand these types of prices. It shouldn't affect what you think of their music. Obviously some people have a major gripe towards Metallica.

And don't act as if Metallica doesn't respect their fans as much as Pearl Jam. They've played many free shows in the last 10 years. I was lucky to attend one of them. Metallica has shown appreciation towards its fans just as much as any other band I've seen. It's bullshit to think otherwise.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
You know, rock and roll used to be all about everything that corporations and high ticket prices and sponsorship, etc., etc., *wasn't*. To think otherwise is, well, you know...

Just give me the Lexus and the bungalow in Malibu man.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member

Thanks Doug P. for saying this.

As far as supply and demand goes, a band squeezing as much money out of their fans as they can just because they are fans makes me mentally nauseous. That's simply taking advantage of them, nothing more. IMO the band is abusing the fan/band relationship. Kind of like many pharmaceutical companies nowadays: they know you need that certain drug and they will keep jacking up the prices until people can't afford them, then "graciously" lower the prices to make them affordable again. :angry:

$75 per ticket is ridiculous. Crappy sound; overpriced beer & 5.00 hotdogs; other fans crowding you who don't believe in soap; two hour shows that many times sound exactly like the CD with no improvisation (why go at all then?); $30 t-shirts; and seats so far away from the stage you need binoculars to make out who the band members are. For these reasons I have pretty much stopped going to concerts, especially in large venues like stadiums.

And don't get me started on sports tickets prices. Thank goodness our local minor league hockey team still only charges ten bucks for the nosebleed seats--and in their venue these seats actually give a very good view of the action.

I have no problem complaining about things like this--I will not fold my hands in my lap & simply accept it as the way the world is supposed to work. That's asking to be treated like a human doormat. Screw that.

LJ

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yep, give more for the bands that give more.. if Simon & Garfunkel were near us, I -might- pay $80 to see that, because it'd be one of those "once in a lifetime" events.. but Metallica? You've got to be kidding. I watched Tori Amos from the third row for $34. If a band has that kind of $ on their tickets, they better be offering a "you get laid or money back" guarantee :) (although I don't know what my spouse would make of that, it sounded good)

Van Patton

Second Unit
If there's demand, then people will pay. I had to buy 4 Phish tickets on ebay for a show in Greensboro this year for 90 bucks a pop (granted it was scalped from the face value of $35).

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I won't pay it, and no one here has said they believe there's some "right" to lower ticket prices. We're just expressing an opinion that we think they're too high. If you don't agree and are willing to spend $250 to see Paul McCartney or the Stones then that's great Colin. You should feel FORTUNATE you have the means to do so. But don't get all sanctimonious just because someone else has the, er, audacity to feel they're getting ripped off. The implication is that people who aren't willing to accept things the way they are should just shut up. Yet another slap in the face of rock 'n roll. :)

IN MY OPINION, the music industry is an animal that's been feeding on it's own tail for too many years and something's eventually going to give. The recent ruling against the RIAA may be the beginning of that process. I certainly hope so.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Colin: are you involved somehow in ticket pricing policies for concert promoters? It sure sounds like it.

Also subjective opinion is very much a part of pricing a product, or at least it should be if you're worried about long-term business health. IMO the lack of any subjectiveness--i.e. emotion, "heart", empathy--in so many business decisions is what is causing so much disgust with certain companies & organizations these days.

Please elaborate on this.

And "era"?? It was only ten years ago (though this was also when company stockholders weren't treated like princes & the corporations didn't wet their collective pants whenever they made the slightest peep about lack of return on their stocks).

LJ

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator
wow Colin Jacobson, you obviously spent quite a bit of time dissecting everyone. great job, man. maybe now you should take some of your own advice.

PhilBoy

Second Unit
What do opera tickets cost ? ... and what is the difference between opera and rock 'n' roll ?

The best way to protest is simply don't go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.