Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

subwoofer box carpet?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 James Bergeron

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 02:45 PM

Anyone know where I can get this "carpet" to do my sub? I just finished building my very first custom box for my car but it needs carpet badly! Posted Image
My Home Theatre, 25,000 visitors and growing faster than ever!

#2 of 12 Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 07:21 PM

Crutchfield
Sound Domain

ooo you made your own box? I wimped out and paid $55 for a 12" single enclosure. How much did it end up costin ya, and got any pics? Posted Image

ps- If you decide to go charcoal and have some left over lmk, I need some for my amp rack.

#3 of 12 James Bergeron

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted December 15 2003 - 11:57 PM

Thanks Scott,
expensive stuff Posted Image I'll check out some fabric stores and maybe talk to some stereo shops as well, I don't need too much.

I built the box because I went and bought one and it was cheap-o. I decided I could make one for the same amount that would be better built. I used 3/4" mdf all around so it's really strong. Plus it's custom for my trunk so it's not a square it's very odd shaped. I can take some pics tonight and post them. Not the most ideal box though suppose to be 1.5cu inches but it's only about .7 cu inches. I only have a skill saw so it makes it difficult. I might build another one with my fathers table saw it would be even better and I change the design for more air space that way.

Total cost was $50 cdn that was for a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" mdf, some glue screws and the binding posts. Then I had to buy a saw, another $100 :b

I only used 1/4 of the sheet so I could build 4 boxes Posted Image

Carpet is the last piece to the puzzle.

#4 of 12 Jacinto

Jacinto

Second Unit

• 409 posts
  • LocationLittleton, Colorado

Posted December 16 2003 - 01:51 AM

Do you want to dress it up for all the people you're going to stuff in the trunk? Honestly, if it's out of sight, I wouldn't bother with the expense and the hassle of carpeting it. But that's just me...
Chachi Hernandez
Illustrator

#5 of 12 James Bergeron

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted December 16 2003 - 02:07 AM

I do show my car once and awhile though, I might just carpet the top as you won't see the sides at all when it's in the trunk. Honestly I could use felt or just material or ANYTHING really, even carpet (but the backing is too thick). I'm sure I'll find something cool at a fabric store.

#6 of 12 brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted December 16 2003 - 02:15 AM

"suppose to be 1.5cu inches but it's only about .7 cu inches.

Why use a box?? just put the subwooder in your pocketPosted Image

B

#7 of 12 James Bergeron

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted December 16 2003 - 02:19 AM

Posted Image
Nah my g/f goes there :wink:

My car is rather tiny :P)

Posted Image

#8 of 12 Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted December 16 2003 - 04:42 AM

Look at this guy, complaing about the cost of the carpet and has the nerve to gloat about his S2k!!

Looks good. Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 of 12 Sean^M

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts

Posted December 16 2003 - 04:58 AM

go to any conversion van custom shop.
they have tons of auto carpet in any color imaginable.
I used to get all of mine at such a shop for pretty cheap.
sounddomain and crutchfield are going to be a ripoff for stuff like that.

as for carpeting a box.. I always finish my boxes. raw MDF looks like ass to me. I wouldn't have it in my car, regardless of the car. I also wouldn't have a car that was half rusted out, or covered in primer though, and some people do.. so I guess it's all personal opinion.

#10 of 12 Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted December 17 2003 - 01:13 AM

partsexpress.com has automotive carpet...$4-$6 per yard in a wide variety of colors.

I usually buy mine locally from a car audio shop...they have similar prices but not as good of a color selection. Posted Image

#11 of 12 Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted December 19 2003 - 08:14 PM

James,

You could also try stopping by a local car audio shop that builds speaker boxes. They should be able to sell you a yard or two of carpet for the box. I've done this before and remember paying $10 (U.S.) for a yard of carpet. Some of the on-line places would have charged me that much for the shipping alone.
"My reality check ... just bounced"

#12 of 12 AUDIOBOXER

AUDIOBOXER

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted September 29 2010 - 07:53 AM

Best box carpet deals and quality is on bargainshore.com  . They got deals on carpet, glue and vinyl.