What's new

Build or buy? (15" Sub) (1 Viewer)

Brian Dye

Auditioning
I have a nice Pioneer system, with a 12" Polk Audio powered sub, and love it. I am a bass head and the more the merrier when I'm listening to music, or watching a loud action movie. Granted the Polk has plenty of bass, for normal/elevated listening, but sometimes I want some more, including deeper lows.

I had thought they made a 15" variant of the model I have, but they don't. I'm considering as a fun project building my own, but I'm wondering the differences with a readily available car subwoofer and amp vs a "home" sub and amp.

Obviously I would first need a large enough computer PSU if I was to use a car amp, but have never used a PSU a for a non-computer build, lol. Could someone offer some advice as to what size I would need for a big enough for a probably 700-800w RMS amp? (Sub/wattage is TBD, so if you have built one or know some good recommendations, feel free to share suggestions as well)

I want the 15 basically to be there for when I feel like cranking a movie and feeling it, and when I listen to music with the low bass notes. The 12 is great but doesn't hit the lows as well as Id like.

I don't want a car box either, Im gonna build a box that looks like something you'd buy to match, probably a layer or two of fiberglass and a piano black glossy paint job.

It seems the popular prefab setup is sub down port back. My Polk is sub forward port back. Since I'm making the box myself, it won't have the nice mesh grille and logo on the front, so I would really like to make it a sub down/port back. Does this really make a difference? I currently have wood floors, but will be getting carpet by late Spring/early Summer. (Heard wood floors are terrible for acoustics)

Brian Dye

Auditioning
Well it looks like my sub is only 100 or 200w RMS (not home to see the exact model number) but that's less than I though. So I think a 15" with about 400-600 RMS will be plenty and then some.

Also I meant to ask, would it be better to find a home subwoofer amp or a car amp? I like the idea of a home amp much better since it will be such a cleaner look with less mess around the box, and I can incorporate the amp into the box for a professional look.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Most car audio amps are rated(for watts) based on juicing the system. In other words, temporarily asking for more than what is really there(lights on the outside of the car dimming to the music).

Behringer makes 4000 watt amps(if you build a circuit to support it) for less money than trying to use a car amp with a power supply(try finding a power supply that will turn 1875 watts at 110/120 into usuable power for a car amp. Be prepared for sticker shock).

Not sure how we keep getting threads started about car amps and power supplies.

Also. Why does the amp need to in the box? Why can't it sit where the AVR is and you just run speaker wire? Nothing cleaner than 1 wire instead of two. Then you also aren't beholden to where you have outlets in the room.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
It is kind of surprising that lately everyone is trying to hook up a car setup in their house. It's normally easier and cheaper to just get the right stuff for the job instead of trying to make the car stuff work for the house.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I always figure it's because it's what people know... That seems to be the common denominator to the threads.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Brian Dye said:
Also I meant to ask, would it be better to find a home subwoofer amp or a car amp?

Get the home amp it will be cleaner and easier to use. Normally you're going to look for a plate amp if you want to make an active sub or a stand alone amp (example) if you're going to make a passive sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks