-

Photo
- - - - -

More Tivo questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Tim Kline

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted December 09 2003 - 10:50 AM

OK first, I remember reading about Replay TV somewhere. Is that any good, or is Tivo really the best?

I'm in the market for a new DVD player and a DirecTV system ... would I be better off getting the DirecTV receiver with Tivo buit in, or a DVD recorder with Tivo built in?
Some call me Tim.

#2 of 7 Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio

Second Unit

• 316 posts

Posted December 09 2003 - 11:12 AM

I think Replay TV is bankrupt, but I could be mistaken
"Part of intelligence is knowing someone elses version of reality is more accurate than yours"
---
My DVD Collection

#3 of 7 Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

• 1,573 posts

Posted December 09 2003 - 12:22 PM

This thread belongs over in the PVR/DVD-R section ...

Quote:
OK first, I remember reading about Replay TV somewhere. Is that any good, or is Tivo really the best?

They both have some strong points. There's a good comprehensive comparison at www.pvrcompare.com. I have a preference for the Tivo software overall when comparing standalones. In the case of DirecTV it's no contest because only Tivo has the combo sat/PVR unit, which provides dual recording, the best possible video quality, and digital audio.

Quote:
I'm in the market for a new DVD player and a DirecTV system ... would I be better off getting the DirecTV receiver with Tivo buit in, or a DVD recorder with Tivo built in?

Definitely the combo DirecTV/Tivo unit. The Pioneer DVD-R/Tivo combo would have significantly worse AV quality, and records only one show at a time rather than two. Plus it is overpriced IMO & lacks any editing features. If you want DVD-R get the DirecTivo & a separate DVD-R deck.

Quote:
I think Replay TV is bankrupt, but I could be mistaken
They are on their third life; their first buyer SonicBlue went bankrupt, but the ReplayTV unit was sold to the parent company of Denon and lives on.

#4 of 7 Mickey Geer

Mickey Geer

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted December 09 2003 - 03:03 PM

I have a series 1 Hughes GXCEBOT direct-tivo unit and I must say it is THE best purchase I have ever made. If you are using direct-tv, it is a no-brainer. The stand-alone units are fine but the direct-tivo are really easy to use and I would recommend going that route.

#5 of 7 Jasmine Meathe

Jasmine Meathe

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 07:01 AM

I think TiVo is definitely the better option. I've heard some pretty bad things about Replay TV. I know TiVo has some great features that I use all the time and is definitely more user friendly. I've heard Replay TV is too complicated with too many gadgets.

#6 of 7 Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 10:56 AM

I have two ReplayTV boxes. I can stream from one box to another, and they have Commercial Advance. There have been a few minor glitches, but overall I'm very happy with them.

But if you're getting DirecTV, then definitely go with the DirecTiVo. If you aren't, then the choice isn't necessarily that easy.

//Ken

#7 of 7 Michael*K

Michael*K

Screenwriter

• 1,815 posts

Posted December 11 2003 - 02:49 PM

You can stream programming between TiVo boxes as well if you have the Home Media Option. Of course, it's a moot point if you go with DirecTiVo since the HMO isn't available for those boxes.

Forum Nav Content I Follow