More Tivo questions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tim Kline, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

OK first, I remember reading about Replay TV somewhere. Is that any good, or is Tivo really the best?

I'm in the market for a new DVD player and a DirecTV system ... would I be better off getting the DirecTV receiver with Tivo buit in, or a DVD recorder with Tivo built in?

2. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I think Replay TV is bankrupt, but I could be mistaken

3. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

This thread belongs over in the PVR/DVD-R section ...

4. Mickey Geer

Mickey Geer Agent

I have a series 1 Hughes GXCEBOT direct-tivo unit and I must say it is THE best purchase I have ever made. If you are using direct-tv, it is a no-brainer. The stand-alone units are fine but the direct-tivo are really easy to use and I would recommend going that route.

5. Jasmine Meathe

Jasmine Meathe Stunt Coordinator

I think TiVo is definitely the better option. I've heard some pretty bad things about Replay TV. I know TiVo has some great features that I use all the time and is definitely more user friendly. I've heard Replay TV is too complicated with too many gadgets.

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

I have two ReplayTV boxes. I can stream from one box to another, and they have Commercial Advance. There have been a few minor glitches, but overall I'm very happy with them.

But if you're getting DirecTV, then definitely go with the DirecTiVo. If you aren't, then the choice isn't necessarily that easy.

//Ken

7. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

You can stream programming between TiVo boxes as well if you have the Home Media Option. Of course, it's a moot point if you go with DirecTiVo since the HMO isn't available for those boxes.