Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

DVD-R's...the best?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 OFFLINE   CraigL

CraigL

Screenwriter

• 1,863 posts

Posted December 05 2003 - 02:52 AM

Hey all,

Simple question:

What's the best brand out there? Any that are the most reliable with the best quality?

Just curious...

#2 of 39 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted December 05 2003 - 04:04 AM

Depends on who you ask and the drive you burn with. I use the Pioneer A06 drive, and I have had best luck with the Ritek 4X (DVD-R) media for almost all my players. However, when I need a disc to play on my friends X-Box, etc. the only disc I've found that works reliably is BeAll 2X DVD-R media.

I normally get @ AllMediaOutlet.Com, or elsewhere.

I basically set my PC up to TiVO and then take all the shows that I capture and output to DVD-R for later saving Posted Image (Ok, admittedly, right now, almost mostly football.. saving all the Chief's games this year Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#3 of 39 OFFLINE   DonnyD

DonnyD

Screenwriter

• 1,154 posts

Posted December 05 2003 - 12:51 PM

My son has been using Memorex brand with no problems. We've been buring on the +R, +RW, -R and -RW..... we found that all would playon my Toshiba dvd player but would not play on his proscan........
Somewhere I think my son read that the + dvd media are compatible at a higher percentage than the - type...... then again, the DVD -Ram is a third format to take into consideration. Wish the industry would settle on ONE format before coming out with this stuff. Just make sure your recorder is dual format (records to both + and -.
"There comes a time in the lives of men, when taken at the tide, you're liable to ****ing drown..." R. Farina
"or go broke due to upgraditis..." D. Davis

#4 of 39 OFFLINE   Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding

Second Unit

• 487 posts

Posted December 06 2003 - 03:34 AM

- and + are the same as far as compatibility goes.

#5 of 39 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted December 07 2003 - 01:52 AM

Quote:
- and + are the same as far as compatibility goes.

Not even close to the same.

Realize, some players will not play +R at all, most play -r.

Let me give examples:

GM's installed DVD player for it's SUV series will -not- play +R media, but it will play +RW (sometimes). But will play BeAll (-) media consistently.

If you have an XBox, you can play (-) most of the time, but (+) is a problem. Sony's upcoming PSX will not play (+) media at all, only (-)

This isn't to say one format is exclusively better then the other, that's not true.. I keep three DVD burners at the moment now (Pioneer A05, A06 & Optorite +- burner) and dependant on who in my family I'm sending a disc to, I know what their player supports well and doesn't. Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#6 of 39 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,888 posts

Posted December 07 2003 - 02:22 PM

DVD-R is the standard recognized by the DVD Forum , so that's probably explains why most DVD players will play DVD-R, while DVD+Rs are a YMMV situation.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#7 of 39 OFFLINE   alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted December 07 2003 - 08:10 PM

I use a Panasonic E80 standalone recorder. I've used Fuji, Verbatim, Memorex and TDK with equal success and excellent results. Imation blanks, however, are nothing but trouble for me and I won't be getting them again.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#8 of 39 OFFLINE   Anthony_C

Anthony_C

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted January 03 2004 - 02:23 PM

I have always had better luck with dvd+r than -r.

As for brands, "DON'T buy cheap disk" the bundle packs of 25+ for $20-$30 etc. (for brands like Sony, Memorex, Maxell, Imation, to name a few) are cheap disk and will usually have 25% succees rate.

Media companies (IE: memorex, maxell, Imation, etc.)do not actually make the disk themselves. companies like Richoh, CMC magnetics, Maxell, Ritek, MCC, TAIYO YUDEN, Optodisk and few others that I can't think of right now make the the disks and sell it to the media companies. this is were it gets tricky!! some are made real cheap and some are made with good quality materials. it all depends on the the disk was made.

here is a good web sight to check out it explains a lot about the disk and what to look for.
"lordsmurf.com"

look on the left side and scroll down until you see a section called "Other video info" then click on "dvd media guide / Blank media and quality FAQ"
it has a list of what is good and what not to buy.

also check out "dvdrhelp.com" for anything related to dvd burning.
Some old Sony speakers all around at the moment
Onkyo TXSR601 (receiver)
Toshiba 46" RPTV

#9 of 39 OFFLINE   John Parris

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted January 10 2004 - 08:09 PM

I've been using Ritek G04 DVD-R discs (rediculously cheap compared to Verbatim, etc.) with NO problems-- the success of cheap media is really dependent on your burner and your DVD player. Ritek isnt generally considered "cheap" media in the industry anymore--it's becoming the reference standard "budget" media, to be sure, though. It works well for most people with good compatibility for a really low price.

Check out VCDHelp.com's forums on media for more info.
Food makes me happy. Bass makes me happier.

#10 of 39 OFFLINE   LaMarcus

LaMarcus

Screenwriter

• 1,620 posts

Posted January 13 2004 - 06:10 AM

I've always thought the +R was the better of the two, my evidence of this has been where ever you go to purchase these two formats -/+, - is always cheaper than +. Along with that, I never have problems playing + dvd's, but -R had many problems, would hiccup and what not. And a lot of player will not play -R, but every one I've seen plays +R.

#11 of 39 OFFLINE   Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted January 15 2004 - 03:18 PM

There are a bunch of variables. Your burner/drive is one of the most important, then you can run into batch issues between the same brand. Find what your machine likes and take it from there. I have a Panny E80, and have had good luck with my first 30 pack of Verbatim, bad with the 2nd pack purchased the same time, bad luck with Maxell 25 pack, and good luck with a Memorex 25 pack. These are all DVD-Rs. If you find something your machine just loves then you are a lucky SOB.

Mind you, there are other issues. My routine is to burn and finalize, then see if it plays in my Sony DVD-NS700P. If it doesn't, I pitch it. I have found that I need to be patient, maybe try it a few times, and maybe let the DVD-R cool down before trying. This is nowhere near a mature technology yet.

#12 of 39 OFFLINE   JeremySt

JeremySt

Screenwriter

• 1,775 posts

Posted January 21 2004 - 08:10 AM

I have been using a Panasonic DMR50, and I have been using Riteks from shop4tech.com

In over 250 discs, I have had 1 or 2 coasters.

#13 of 39 OFFLINE   Stephen Weller

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted January 21 2004 - 08:22 AM

Sony DRX-510UL + Imation DVD-RW = zero coasters.

Quote:
I've always thought the +R was the better of the two

I don't believe it's better or worse. It's just different. The -R's are more..."compatible".

#14 of 39 OFFLINE   LaMarcus

LaMarcus

Screenwriter

• 1,620 posts

Posted January 21 2004 - 01:31 PM

Quote:
I don't believe it's better or worse. It's just different. The -R's are more..."compatible".

So how come the +R's always cost more?

#15 of 39 OFFLINE   Stephen Weller

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted January 22 2004 - 01:38 AM

Quote:

A very good question. My best answer is: Simple economics. Supply vs demand. The -R is more universally accepted.

If it hasn't been mentioned here yet, the jury is still out on which standard to accept.

Have you been around long enough to remember Beta vs VHS? If I recall correctly, Beta was actually the superior technology (Duh. The tape is bigger.), but VHS won out because it was smaller and more convenient, and thus became more universally accepted.

Standards are wonderful. Just pick the one you like.

On-a-completely-unrelated-topic, have you noticed any *other* proprietary formats from Sony? :b

#16 of 39 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted January 22 2004 - 03:00 AM

Quote:
VHS won out because it was smaller and more convenient, and thus became more universally accepted.

Actually it was Beta that was smaller. The real reason why VHS triumphed is because Sony refused to license Beta; so VHS equipment quickly became more common.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#17 of 39 OFFLINE   Anthony_C

Anthony_C

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted January 24 2004 - 04:13 PM

I don't even have a VCR any more LOL.
Some old Sony speakers all around at the moment
Onkyo TXSR601 (receiver)
Toshiba 46" RPTV

#18 of 39 OFFLINE   DanC

DanC

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted January 24 2004 - 05:04 PM

I own a Panny DMR-E50 and have had the best luck with the Ritek brand. Burned about 20 - 25 so far without any coasters.
Go Noles!
>>------>

Home Theater/DVD's

#19 of 39 OFFLINE   Alf S

Alf S

Screenwriter

• 1,471 posts

Posted January 25 2004 - 05:14 AM

Quote:

I don't find this to be true...

I consistantly find DVD+R discs (Philips brand, Memorex, and some not so famous brands always hover around $1 each or less here in our local stores.
WOOSAH!.

#20 of 39 OFFLINE   JeremySt

JeremySt

Screenwriter

• 1,775 posts

Posted January 29 2004 - 08:49 AM

none of local stores sell bulk DVD-R for anything under about $2 each. Even Spindles of 10 rarely go for under $20. Ive been ordering online. Bulk of 50 for $45!

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow