DVD-R's...the best?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by CraigL, Dec 5, 2003.

1. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Hey all,

Simple question:

What's the best brand out there? Any that are the most reliable with the best quality?

Just curious...

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Depends on who you ask and the drive you burn with. I use the Pioneer A06 drive, and I have had best luck with the Ritek 4X (DVD-R) media for almost all my players. However, when I need a disc to play on my friends X-Box, etc. the only disc I've found that works reliably is BeAll 2X DVD-R media.

I normally get @ AllMediaOutlet.Com, or elsewhere.

I basically set my PC up to TiVO and then take all the shows that I capture and output to DVD-R for later saving [​IMG] (Ok, admittedly, right now, almost mostly football.. saving all the Chief's games this year [​IMG]

3. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

My son has been using Memorex brand with no problems. We've been buring on the +R, +RW, -R and -RW..... we found that all would playon my Toshiba dvd player but would not play on his proscan........
    Somewhere I think my son read that the + dvd media are compatible at a higher percentage than the - type...... then again, the DVD -Ram is a third format to take into consideration. Wish the industry would settle on ONE format before coming out with this stuff. Just make sure your recorder is dual format (records to both + and -.

4. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

- and + are the same as far as compatibility goes.

5. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

DVD-R is the standard recognized by the DVD Forum , so that's probably explains why most DVD players will play DVD-R, while DVD+Rs are a YMMV situation.

7. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I use a Panasonic E80 standalone recorder. I've used Fuji, Verbatim, Memorex and TDK with equal success and excellent results. Imation blanks, however, are nothing but trouble for me and I won't be getting them again.

8. Anthony_C

Anthony_C Agent

I have always had better luck with dvd+r than -r.

As for brands, "DON'T buy cheap disk" the bundle packs of 25+ for $20-$30 etc. (for brands like Sony, Memorex, Maxell, Imation, to name a few) are cheap disk and will usually have 25% succees rate.

Media companies (IE: memorex, maxell, Imation, etc.)do not actually make the disk themselves. companies like Richoh, CMC magnetics, Maxell, Ritek, MCC, TAIYO YUDEN, Optodisk and few others that I can't think of right now make the the disks and sell it to the media companies. this is were it gets tricky!! some are made real cheap and some are made with good quality materials. it all depends on the the disk was made.

here is a good web sight to check out it explains a lot about the disk and what to look for.
    "lordsmurf.com"

look on the left side and scroll down until you see a section called "Other video info" then click on "dvd media guide / Blank media and quality FAQ"
    it has a list of what is good and what not to buy.

also check out "dvdrhelp.com" for anything related to dvd burning.

9. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

I've been using Ritek G04 DVD-R discs (rediculously cheap compared to Verbatim, etc.) with NO problems-- the success of cheap media is really dependent on your burner and your DVD player. Ritek isnt generally considered "cheap" media in the industry anymore--it's becoming the reference standard "budget" media, to be sure, though. It works well for most people with good compatibility for a really low price.

Check out VCDHelp.com's forums on media for more info.

10. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I've always thought the +R was the better of the two, my evidence of this has been where ever you go to purchase these two formats -/+, - is always cheaper than +. Along with that, I never have problems playing + dvd's, but -R had many problems, would hiccup and what not. And a lot of player will not play -R, but every one I've seen plays +R.

11. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

There are a bunch of variables. Your burner/drive is one of the most important, then you can run into batch issues between the same brand. Find what your machine likes and take it from there. I have a Panny E80, and have had good luck with my first 30 pack of Verbatim, bad with the 2nd pack purchased the same time, bad luck with Maxell 25 pack, and good luck with a Memorex 25 pack. These are all DVD-Rs. If you find something your machine just loves then you are a lucky SOB.

Mind you, there are other issues. My routine is to burn and finalize, then see if it plays in my Sony DVD-NS700P. If it doesn't, I pitch it. I have found that I need to be patient, maybe try it a few times, and maybe let the DVD-R cool down before trying. This is nowhere near a mature technology yet.

12. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I have been using a Panasonic DMR50, and I have been using Riteks from shop4tech.com

In over 250 discs, I have had 1 or 2 coasters.

13. Stephen Weller

Stephen Weller Stunt Coordinator

Sony DRX-510UL + Imation DVD-RW = zero coasters.

14. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

15. Stephen Weller

Stephen Weller Stunt Coordinator

16. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

17. Anthony_C

Anthony_C Agent

I don't even have a VCR any more LOL.

18. DanC

DanC Stunt Coordinator

I own a Panny DMR-E50 and have had the best luck with the Ritek brand. Burned about 20 - 25 so far without any coasters.

19. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie

20. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    none of local stores sell bulk DVD-R for anything under about $2 each. Even Spindles of 10 rarely go for under $20. Ive been ordering online. Bulk of 50 for $45!