Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Who else here is a freak...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#1 of 48 OFFLINE   Eric Eash

Eric Eash

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 11:27 PM

By that I mean, is there anyone else here who loathes the security devices they put inside the dvd case. I don't know what it is, but I hate them. I just spent an hour going through all my cases to check and pulled out over 100 of those damn things. I've been pulling them out immediately after opening the dvd for at least the past year, but I had to scrub the rest of the collection. Surely I'm not the only one?

Eric
"Everybody thinks they have a sense of humor, even if they don't." -favorite movie quote!

Can your sub hit 120db @ 10Hz?...Just wondering.
My DIY Sub for sale
My DVDs

#2 of 48 OFFLINE   JohnMR

JohnMR

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 12:23 AM

your not! I do it. So I guess we are both freeks. Posted Image

John

#3 of 48 OFFLINE   JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted November 05 2003 - 12:37 AM

They don't bother me, I just take them off. But it does upset me when they're placed on cardboard, damaging a beautiful case. Looney Tunes is a perfect example.

#4 of 48 OFFLINE   Michael Warner

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 12:52 AM

I always yank them off upon opening a new DVD as I've come across a few cases where the security tags have come loose and affixed themselves to the discs. Not something I want to find a few years down the road when the option to exchange the DVD is gone.
Xbox Live: mugwumps

#5 of 48 OFFLINE   Jimmy Nugent

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 12:54 AM

It irks the hell outta me when they are placed under the clear plastic trays on cardboard packages. It taunts me- just sitting there a mere eighth of an inch from the tray surface, yet so far out of reach. It really minimizes all the efforts the package designers went to. There must be another way other than this glaring method...

anal-retentive Jimmy

#6 of 48 OFFLINE   Bolivar G

Bolivar G

Second Unit

• 318 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 01:03 AM

And we wonder why the rest of the world hates usPosted Image j/kPosted Image

Yea they can be annoying at times, but I never remove them.

#7 of 48 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 02:30 AM

I don't mind them on plastic (they come off easy enough), but I agree it's a shame when they are put on the cardboard, under the plastic, in digipaks... a la Looney Tunes and many others.

I've seen some digipaks that have the security tag stuck on a blank paper insert. Seems the obvious and logical solution to me, and it would add a fraction of a penny per unit to do it this way.

-Scott

#8 of 48 OFFLINE   Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 02:44 AM

I once arranged to meet a friend of mine who had asked me for a loan of a few region 1 discs ( he's a fellow enthusiast so I knew he wouldn't use them as drinks coasters ). Anyway, I gave him the discs and then we decided to have a look around some of the local DVD stores. The security tags on the US discs set off the alarms in about three different places...
Now I remove the tags whenever possible.

#9 of 48 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,268 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 02:45 AM

I always remove them too. Pisses me off when they stick them under the plastic in digipaks. I've found using a stamp tongs is handy for extracting those nuisance tags.Posted Image

#10 of 48 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 03:04 AM

I find myself picking them off on any disk I pick up... even when they're not mine!! Posted Image

Browsing a friend's collection the other day, I opened a case to look at the insert and absentmindedly picked off the security thing. Before I realized what I was doing, I had this thing stuck to my finger. It's just such a habit.

#11 of 48 OFFLINE   Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 03:27 AM

Yep, a major wind-up here too. Nasty, tricky things.

#12 of 48 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 03:41 AM

I just leave them there. They don't really bother me Posted Image

#13 of 48 OFFLINE   MartinTeller

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 03:53 AM

They don't bother me, but I do enjoy idly picking them apart while watching a movie sometimes.

#14 of 48 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 04:36 AM

Ditto. The paranoid factor is that they can do a 'fly over' and track you down.

So mine alwys come off too. Please don't forget to look inside of your empty box sets, as they hide them down there too. I once pulled one off and it took a sliver of cardboard out all the way up the back and out to the front before I noticed it. Crap!

Glenn

#15 of 48 OFFLINE   Arnie G

Arnie G

Supporting Actor

• 662 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 04:41 AM

Aliens know what we're watching with those thingsPosted Image
I've got my own Toto

#16 of 48 OFFLINE   Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 1,951 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 04:42 AM

Given the choice of dealing with security stickers vs paying even higher prices to counter shoplifting I'll gladly deal with the stickers. Best case scenario would be if they could manafacture a security device directly into the DVD so it will set off the alarm even if it's been taken out of it's package......

#17 of 48 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 05:01 AM

I certainly understand the need for these things... but how hard would it be to include it in such a way so as to NOT damage the packaging?? THAT's the part that bothers me.

The tags should either be affixed to plastic, or they should be on an insert.

-Scott

#18 of 48 OFFLINE   EdwardKarlinski

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 05:03 AM

I always remove all security tags as soon as I unwrap my purchases. A long thin blade is good for removing them from under the plastic on a Digipak. This may leave some residue, but it isn't any worse than seeing the security tag. Just take it slow and easy.

#19 of 48 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 05:24 AM

Some DVDs have the security tag affixed to a sheet of paper the size of an insert... I just throw those away Posted Image

#20 of 48 OFFLINE   Chet_F

Chet_F

Supporting Actor

• 777 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 05:32 AM

Yes. It's nice to be treated like a criminal.
"If you’re lucky, people like something you do early and something you do just before you drop dead. That’s as many pats on the back as you should expect." - Warren Zevon 1993, R.I.P.