Who else here is a freak...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Eash, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

By that I mean, is there anyone else here who loathes the security devices they put inside the dvd case. I don't know what it is, but I hate them. I just spent an hour going through all my cases to check and pulled out over 100 of those damn things. I've been pulling them out immediately after opening the dvd for at least the past year, but I had to scrub the rest of the collection. Surely I'm not the only one?

Eric

2. JohnMR

JohnMR Agent

your not! I do it. So I guess we are both freeks. [​IMG]

John

3. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    They don't bother me, I just take them off. But it does upset me when they're placed on cardboard, damaging a beautiful case. Looney Tunes is a perfect example.

4. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

I always yank them off upon opening a new DVD as I've come across a few cases where the security tags have come loose and affixed themselves to the discs. Not something I want to find a few years down the road when the option to exchange the DVD is gone.

5. Jimmy Nugent

Jimmy Nugent Stunt Coordinator

It irks the hell outta me when they are placed under the clear plastic trays on cardboard packages. It taunts me- just sitting there a mere eighth of an inch from the tray surface, yet so far out of reach. It really minimizes all the efforts the package designers went to. There must be another way other than this glaring method...

anal-retentive Jimmy

6. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

And we wonder why the rest of the world hates us[​IMG] j/k[​IMG]

Yea they can be annoying at times, but I never remove them.

7. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

I don't mind them on plastic (they come off easy enough), but I agree it's a shame when they are put on the cardboard, under the plastic, in digipaks... a la Looney Tunes and many others.

I've seen some digipaks that have the security tag stuck on a blank paper insert. Seems the obvious and logical solution to me, and it would add a fraction of a penny per unit to do it this way.

-Scott

8. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit

I once arranged to meet a friend of mine who had asked me for a loan of a few region 1 discs ( he's a fellow enthusiast so I knew he wouldn't use them as drinks coasters ). Anyway, I gave him the discs and then we decided to have a look around some of the local DVD stores. The security tags on the US discs set off the alarms in about three different places...
    Now I remove the tags whenever possible.

9. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I always remove them too. Pisses me off when they stick them under the plastic in digipaks. I've found using a stamp tongs is handy for extracting those nuisance tags.[​IMG]

10. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I find myself picking them off on any disk I pick up... even when they're not mine!! [​IMG]

Browsing a friend's collection the other day, I opened a case to look at the insert and absentmindedly picked off the security thing. Before I realized what I was doing, I had this thing stuck to my finger. It's just such a habit.

11. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Yep, a major wind-up here too. Nasty, tricky things.

12. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I just leave them there. They don't really bother me [​IMG]

13. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

They don't bother me, but I do enjoy idly picking them apart while watching a movie sometimes.

14. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ditto. The paranoid factor is that they can do a 'fly over' and track you down.

So mine alwys come off too. Please don't forget to look inside of your empty box sets, as they hide them down there too. I once pulled one off and it took a sliver of cardboard out all the way up the back and out to the front before I noticed it. Crap!

Glenn

15. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

Aliens know what we're watching with those things[​IMG]

16. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    Given the choice of dealing with security stickers vs paying even higher prices to counter shoplifting I'll gladly deal with the stickers. Best case scenario would be if they could manafacture a security device directly into the DVD so it will set off the alarm even if it's been taken out of it's package......

17. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

I certainly understand the need for these things... but how hard would it be to include it in such a way so as to NOT damage the packaging?? THAT's the part that bothers me.

The tags should either be affixed to plastic, or they should be on an insert.

-Scott

18. EdwardKarlinski

EdwardKarlinski Stunt Coordinator

I always remove all security tags as soon as I unwrap my purchases. A long thin blade is good for removing them from under the plastic on a Digipak. This may leave some residue, but it isn't any worse than seeing the security tag. Just take it slow and easy.

19. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Some DVDs have the security tag affixed to a sheet of paper the size of an insert... I just throw those away [​IMG]

20. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Yes. It's nice to be treated like a criminal.