Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

From which edge (inside or outside) do DVDs play?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Frank@N

• 1,718 posts

Posted November 03 2003 - 08:20 AM

I have a used disc that has a few troubling scratches on the outer edge. Would this area contain the beginning or the end/extras of the movie? I would like to check out the affected area quickly without watching the entire disc right now. Title is a Universal release from 2000.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

• 3,320 posts

Posted November 03 2003 - 10:18 AM

Inside out! And then outside in (for a dual layer)!
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Frank@N

• 1,718 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 06:08 AM

OK, so a scratch on the outside edge would potentially cause a problem in the middle of the movie (for dual-layered).

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Lyle_JP

• 1,009 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 08:00 AM

<< And then outside in (for a dual layer)! >> Well, that's true for a Reverse Spiral Dual Layer disc, but there are also Parallel Tracking Dual Layer discs where both layers are read from the center-out. -Lyle J.P.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

• 3,469 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 10:12 AM

Plus you're assuming that there are or extras or that the extras are physically after the movie data. I'm no expert by any means, but couldn't the extras be located 'before' the movie whereas the actual movie may start near the edge of a dual layered disc? This could put a scratch on the outside of the disc near the beginning of a movie.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

• 4,145 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 10:23 AM

I have a cheapo Koss portable player that can play discs with the lid open and you can see where the laser is- I use it mostly just to see exactly where on the disc stuff is.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users