What's new

From which edge (inside or outside) do DVDs play? (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I have a used disc that has a few troubling scratches on the outer edge.

Would this area contain the beginning or the end/extras of the movie?

I would like to check out the affected area quickly without watching the entire disc right now.

Title is a Universal release from 2000.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
OK, so a scratch on the outside edge would potentially cause a problem in the middle of the movie (for dual-layered).

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
>

Well, that's true for a Reverse Spiral Dual Layer disc, but there are also Parallel Tracking Dual Layer discs where both layers are read from the center-out.

-Lyle J.P.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Plus you're assuming that there are or extras or that the extras are physically after the movie data.

I'm no expert by any means, but couldn't the extras be located 'before' the movie whereas the actual movie may start near the edge of a dual layered disc? This could put a scratch on the outside of the disc near the beginning of a movie.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I have a cheapo Koss portable player that can play discs with the lid open and you can see where the laser is- I use it mostly just to see exactly where on the disc stuff is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks