Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Petition to get WARNER BROS. cartoons restored for theatrical and DVD release!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted September 05 2001 - 07:06 PM

http://www.petitiono...y/petition.html

Also see http://www.cartoonre...com/warner.html on why restoration is IMPORTANT.

We don't need NxNW'ed DVD's. We need RESTORED prints!

I hope to get as many as the Wonka petition.

------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,730 posts

Posted September 05 2001 - 07:23 PM

I tried signing your petition but it ends up at a search page. Using the search page yields no petition. ------------------
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted September 06 2001 - 02:47 AM

Warners has been widely reported to be working on restoring those prints. They know they have a mint on their hands to sell this stuff on DVD. I won't go see it in a theatre, so I am content to sit back and wait. They need time to restore it properly, and that is what the delay is. Cheers,

------------------

DAVE/Memphis

Widescreen is Family Fun!
Posted Image

[Edited last by David Lambert on September 06, 2001 at 05:49 AM]
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted September 06 2001 - 04:11 AM

Restore it as best they can, and they know they're gonna make a fortune. I will be in line for each and every disc. ------------------ Kyle³ ------------------ Yahoo Messenger - digitalkyle
Kyle McKnight

#5 of 11 ONLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,103 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted September 06 2001 - 06:05 AM

[quote]

We don't need NxNW'ed DVD's. We need RESTORED prints!

[quote]I need both.

Regards,

------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted September 06 2001 - 06:35 AM

A thousand times yes! Given Warner's penchant for "themed" releases, I hope that among the first will be an opera disc with "Rabbit of Seville" and all the other great opera toons.

------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"

S&S Challenge: 72 ...25
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Geoffrey_A

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted September 06 2001 - 07:17 AM

I sure hopw WB doesn't fall victim to that censorship disease that has been plaguing Disney. These toons are geat, but some of them are also a product of thier time. People are smart enough to understand this. I really hope we get beautifully remastered toons in their unedited format.

------------------
Geoff
Now with Kung-Fu grip and realistic facial hair!

Posted Image
Geoffrey Adams

Apply Kung-Fu liberally as needed.

Visit my Web Comic!

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,773 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted September 06 2001 - 07:18 AM

Please stop it with the petitions. It seems like everything is being petitioned. The more petitions you have, the less they work! So I urge you to take down your petiton, If you want to let Warner know what you want, wait until the chat, and ask them there.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,730 posts

Posted September 06 2001 - 11:37 AM

--I won't go see it in a theatre-- If these shorts were restored properly and fronting movies that I would normally see, then I would go to a theatre to see them. It would sure beat loking at the crap I have to now....like the stupid ads that front almost every film. Hell....if they had enough them fronting even a bad film, I might go see them because it would be worth ten bucks to see them the way they were supposed to be presented. I know if they had a Looney Tunes marathon in a theatre I definitely would be there. ------------------
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted September 06 2001 - 12:16 PM

This is a "friendly" petition. It's just for showing that there's people out there that want to see these classics restored instead of digitally "cleaned".

Sure, NxNW looks nearly perfect on DVD, but the fact that the film isn't truly restored makes it worse.

Look at the diagram showing Ben-Hur's "wonderful" transfer compared to the original 70mm image on www.widescreenmuseum.com (2nd high-res images gallery)

Same aspect ratio, less picture on DVD.

It's nice that a film is on DVD with superb quality, but I'd rather see a film be physically restored like Vertigo or Lawrence of Arabia than see a temporary DVD master.

What happens if the prints get in too bad of shape and the negatives are dust? You got a lost film there.

------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Nigel McN

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted September 07 2001 - 06:20 AM

Heres a Question: if WB started putting restored cartoons infront of their movies, would it affect you likelyhood of going to the movie?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users