What's new

How do i hook my computer up to my TV (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Allen, although your post isn't as unequivocal as you think, I'd say: you need a graphic card with a TV-out.

Cees

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
graphics card, or video card?

isnt there just a wire i can get took hook up to the back of my tv and hook into the CPU?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
What kind of inputs do you have on your display? If it has RGB in, then you just get a breakout cable. Otherwise, it depends on the capabilities of the video card. Some have s-video out, or composite out, though i don't really follow them too much to know which ones have these features, or whether some come with component video. Probaly the AIW cards have lots of video options. You might need to get a transcoder to do RGB-component if no cards have component out. Though i bet there are cards with component.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
A standard computer cannot be hooked up to a standard TV without special electronics. The simplest such electronics is a video card for the computer that has TV outputs as described above.

The electron beam for the computer monitor screen goes at a different speed than for a standard TV. To be exact, regular (non-super) VGA is the same scan rate as progressive scan (480p) TV video. On the computer (for Windows use the control panel Display part) you would choose 640 x 480 @ 60 Hz.

You really don't want to hook up your computer to a standard TV, even with a video card with video output jacks. The latter's color resolution is inherently so much worse than a computer monitor that the picture will look much blurrier.

If you have an HDTV (or a TV that can do at least 480p progressive scan you can connect up the computer directly and get a readable although incorrectly colored screen. You need the transcoder as described above, which may or may not be available as part of a new video card.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks