What's new

AMC Monsterfest disks? (1 Viewer)

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Has anyone seen these?
I picked up 3 of them in WalMart's 5.88 bin. They are all 2 DVD/4 Movie sets.
They are:
Cult Classics Vol 1
Cult Classics Vol 2
Roger Corman Classics Vol 1
Roger Corman Classics Vol 2
Boris Carloff Classics
Bela Lugosi Classics Vol 1
Bela Lugosi Classics Vol 2

Not sure if there are any others.
I got:
Cult Classics Vol 1: The Atomic Brain, The Brain that Wouldn't Die, Carnival of SOuls, Night Tide.
Cult Classics Vol 2: Dementia 13, Frozen ALive, The Screaming Skull, Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter
Roger Corman Classics Vol 1: A Bucket of Blood, Little Shop of Horrors, The Terror, The Wasp Woman

Anyone know anything about these sets?
I'd like to know what anyone thinks of them/transfers or whatever before I rip them open, I may go ahead, I mean they were just 5.88 each!!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Seeing as you bought these already, I think it's your bullet to take so the rest of know how these are!;)

I've always been hesitant to get these type of packs, but I'm itching to get a "Rader Men On The Moon" 2 disker for $5.99 CDN, complete serial.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I know, I was kinda caught off guard when I saw them, I was only their for Captain kronos, which took a little digging....
Came across these and said hmmmm, ended up taking them. I mean for 5.88 i can't really go too wrong, and with AMC's name, I am hoping for atleast serviceable transers. I'll crack one open and let you know!

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
AMC may have once been respectable, but now they are the dregs of cable networks. It figures they would lend their name to a series of DVD releases of crappy public domain movies that look like they were put through a meat grinder.

BUYER BEWARE:thumbsdown:

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I have a couple of these titles on other budget disks: The Terror, Carnival of Souls, Dementia 13.
The transfers of Carnival and Dementia were watchable, while the Terror was awful.
The transfer for the Terror is the same one here, I am assuming that the other 2 will probably be the same watchable transfers.
I'm disappointed that I had paid 5 bucks for my first The Terror disk and now I have it with 3 other movies for 5.88....
Oh well, I can rationalize it as, it's kinda cool to have these old flicks which probaly wil never see any restoration(I know Carnival has a Criterion) and the quality won't get any worse. At least I didn't pay the 9.99 list price!

DaveyM

Stunt Coordinator
I have Dementia 13 by Ovation Home Video, how does the AMC disc compare to this one? If its better quality i might pick it up tomorrow.

Davey M.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Haven't checked it yet, I am thinking it will be the same as my Dementia 13/Night of the living dead combo which has a decent image. I'll check and let you know....

BarryS

Second Unit
Do not expect high quality, I'll tell you that for sure!

I bought the Roger Corman Classics, Collection 1 disc which has A Bucket of Blood, Little Shop of Horrors, The Terror, and The Wasp Woman. I've taken a look at them but haven't watched them completely. Bucket and Little Shop look okay, but far from great. The Terror looks absolutely hideous though. Nearly unwatchable. The picture appears to have significant cropping also, so it is definitely NOT OAR.

I paid $5.88 for the disc at Wal-Mart, so it was worth that much at least, I'd say. I just really wanted a copy of Bucket of Blood and Little Shop of Horrors. I will probably be picking up the Cult Classics, Volume 1 disc to get Dementia 13 and the Bela Lugosi disc to get White Zombie. Getting four movies for $6 is not bad at all. They might look like shit, but these are 50-year-old B-movies. They will probably never look any better. However, MGM's The Raven looks 1000 times better than this version of The Terror and it was even made around the same time.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
I posted info on the announcement of this line here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=163028

I'm sorry to hear The Terror is fullscreen ... blech. UAV already did that -- why couldn't Falcon/AMC do something more? Ah well.

If anyone who buys these has a copy of MGM's A Bucket of Blood or Roan's White Zombie and Dementia 13, comparisons would be very welcome. I'm still not quite sure why MGM product (A Bucket of Blood, which looks quite good, and The Ghoul, which was seemingly restored digitally for MGM; speculation here has been that LDI accomplished this, but I don't know if we've determined that with certainty; the disc looks great, though -- a minor "floating hand" issue notwithstanding*) is open to what seems to be public domain release, given the "big name" recognition of AMC (the legal scrupulosity of run-of-the-mill PDs would be easier to question; I assume AMC is on the up and up, but studios aren't often known to release -- much less pay to restore -- films that can be legally released by PDs) ....

At any rate, the good news is that the MGM editions of A Bucket of Blood and The Ghoul can be had for around ten bucks, depending on where you look (I found the latter for a ten spot at Best Buy). If the Falcon/AMC releases aren't cutting it, the studio releases of these two titles are very pleasing.

* http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...postid=1745738 (post #30, second paragraph)

Joe S

Second Unit
I picked up the AMC Boris Karloff Classics at Walmart for $5.88 a few weeks ago and just got around to watching "The Ghoul" yesterday. I thought the film was OK- it's always good to see Boris in something I never saw before, but I was wondering how the transfer compares to the MGM disk of the same title.

I thought "The Ghoul" on the AMC disk looked great, almost too good in some places- but I noticed the opening credits seemed to be framed slightly off- the names of the cast are cut off on the right side. The sound was quite clear, in fact my impression was that some of the background music didn't belong there, but that's probably because it exceeded my expectations for a film of that era.

Anyone know for sure if the AMC and MGM source are the same?

Joe S.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I've seen around 12 versions of THE TERROR and the one on the AMC disc is certainly the worst. It's so dark in several scenes you can't tell what's going on. The AMC print of JESSE JAMES MEETS FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER is actually better than the Elite version. The Elite disc is matted but there are all sorts of scratches and speckles. For the most part the AMC disc looks wonderful but there is a minor problem. I'm guessing there's too much info on the disc or it was poorly mastered. The movie looks as if it were downloaded from the internet so there are a few scenes where it seems the film is going in slow motion.

I've got a friend who says THE GHOUL is the same print that's on the MGM disc. I haven't watched THE WASP WOMAN yet but out of four DVD releases I haven't found a good print.

AMC just released 4-movie, 2-disc sets of James Cagney, Cary Grant and Gary Cooper films. I picked up all three but only watched the short STOLEN JOOLS from the Cooper pack. The picture quality was pretty good for such an older film on a PD release.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Too bad about someone stealing MGM's excellent transfer of THE GHOUL. :frowning:

A friend of mine tells me that the AMC version of JESSE JAMES MEETS FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER is horrible. I can tell you that the Elite version was also atrocious (as is the film, of course!) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks