Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Surround recomendation with Yamaha DSP

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Brad Russell

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted October 10 2003 - 03:20 PM

Before I pull the trigger on a new set of surrounds, does anybody know if Yamaha recomends monopole, bi-pole, or di-pole surrounds when using their DSPs?

Thanks!

Brad

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Jaime B

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted October 10 2003 - 05:26 PM

Brad:

YAMAHA has always advocated monopoles for their DSP effects. At the same time I can tell you I've heard lots of Yamahas hooked to either bi-poles or di-poles. Room, listenning bias will determine which you like best (like with any other A/V receiver).
The reason is that Yamaha put a lot of effort on programing their DSP modes with monopoles, which vary less (the sound pattern) than the other two options in a room (different rooms).

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   DonnyD

DonnyD

Screenwriter

• 1,154 posts

Posted October 10 2003 - 10:18 PM

I've had Yamaha receivers for years, now with a RX-V1 and until last year used direct rads. Picked up a pair of Energy RVSS dipole/bipole and couldn't be happier. Rear action is fuller and much more "surrounding".........
"There comes a time in the lives of men, when taken at the tide, you're liable to ****ing drown..." R. Farina
"or go broke due to upgraditis..." D. Davis

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Brad Russell

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 12:50 PM

so the vote is one and one. anyone else care to weigh-in. Its either a pair of Polk FX500 or 1000s or a set of RTi35s. Both are discountined, so I won't be able to try them out at home.

Thanks!

Brad

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,915 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 04:21 PM

Quote:
so the vote is one and one.
Not exactly, Brad. You asked what Yamaha recommends, and Jamie is correct – they recommend monopole. Now, if you’re interested in what Yamaha owners actually use and prefer – that we can vote on! Posted Image

Personally I recommend using the monopoles if you have your speakers set up like Yamaha recommends – that is, with the rears behind the seating area. If your situation cannot accommodate that arrangement, then you might consider other options.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Brad Russell

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted October 13 2003 - 04:36 AM

Your'e absolutly right Wayne, thanks for the correctionPosted Image

I have to have them on the side walls, (room is approx 13x30x7, and because of a cold air return duct, the ceiling on the right side is only 6'3") so I'm also a little concerned about being to close to the ceiling.

Thanks!

Brad

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Heath_E

Heath_E

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted October 13 2003 - 07:25 AM

I would recommend that you have a look at some of the switchable dipole/bipole speakers such as made by Polk and others. Given your height restriction and side wall placement, I believe either dipole or bipole will give you much better results. By buying a switchable speaker, you could experiment with both. If you buy Polks from say CC, you could experiment and then return them if you don't like them. I tried all three types when I bought my system and wound up liking bipoles the best. I have them mounted about one and a half feet above my head, when sitting, and on the side walls slightly behind me, probably about 110 degrees. This gave me the best combination of localization and diffusion. Anyway, just a thought.

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,915 posts

Posted October 13 2003 - 08:13 AM

Brad,

Quote:
I'm also a little concerned about being to close to the ceiling.
You can counteract this to a certain extent by inverting the speaker (which puts the tweeter closer to ear level).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Brad Russell

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted October 13 2003 - 09:34 AM

Quote:
You can counteract this to a certain extent by inverting the speaker (which puts the tweeter closer to ear level).

That would help reduce reflections? Or does it really matter with surrounds?

Thanks!
Brad

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,915 posts

Posted October 13 2003 - 03:36 PM

You do it for the same reason that you don’t put speakers on the floor with the tweeter down – for improved imaging and for less reflections. Thus, speakers positioned below ear level should have the tweeters up; speakers above ear level should have the tweeters down.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Brad Russell

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 02:30 AM

Thanks! Wayne. Whwn you say yamaha recomends them behind the seating area, do you mean on the back wall? or behind the seating area on the side walls as Dolby recomends?

Thanks!

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,915 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 03:49 AM

Yes, the picture diagrams I’ve always seen in their manuals show the rears on the back walls. Of course, not everyone has that option, and it’s not necessarily what Dolby recommends, but it’s what Yamaha recommends for their DSP surround modes.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Stanton

Jeffrey Stanton

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 07:08 AM

I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 and love the DSP modes. I'm running Klipsch KLF-30s for surrounds and Klipsch KSP-S6s for front effects (monopoles).

I mighty add that I use "Jazz Club", "Bottom Line" or "Roxy Theater" for ALL music and can't imagine not having these sound enhancing modes. It just sounds better.

Usually use "General 70mm Theater" or "Spectacle 70mm Theater" for all movies/TV watching. Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow