What's new

Surround recomendation with Yamaha DSP (1 Viewer)

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
Before I pull the trigger on a new set of surrounds, does anybody know if Yamaha recomends monopole, bi-pole, or di-pole surrounds when using their DSPs?

Thanks!

Brad

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
Brad:

YAMAHA has always advocated monopoles for their DSP effects. At the same time I can tell you I've heard lots of Yamahas hooked to either bi-poles or di-poles. Room, listenning bias will determine which you like best (like with any other A/V receiver).
The reason is that Yamaha put a lot of effort on programing their DSP modes with monopoles, which vary less (the sound pattern) than the other two options in a room (different rooms).

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I've had Yamaha receivers for years, now with a RX-V1 and until last year used direct rads. Picked up a pair of Energy RVSS dipole/bipole and couldn't be happier. Rear action is fuller and much more "surrounding".........

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
so the vote is one and one. anyone else care to weigh-in. Its either a pair of Polk FX500 or 1000s or a set of RTi35s. Both are discountined, so I won't be able to try them out at home.

Thanks!

Brad

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
so the vote is one and one.
Not exactly, Brad. You asked what Yamaha recommends, and Jamie is correct – they recommend monopole. Now, if you’re interested in what Yamaha owners actually use and prefer – that we can vote on! :)

Personally I recommend using the monopoles if you have your speakers set up like Yamaha recommends – that is, with the rears behind the seating area. If your situation cannot accommodate that arrangement, then you might consider other options.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
Your'e absolutly right Wayne, thanks for the correction;)

I have to have them on the side walls, (room is approx 13x30x7, and because of a cold air return duct, the ceiling on the right side is only 6'3") so I'm also a little concerned about being to close to the ceiling.

Thanks!

Brad

Heath_E

Stunt Coordinator
I would recommend that you have a look at some of the switchable dipole/bipole speakers such as made by Polk and others. Given your height restriction and side wall placement, I believe either dipole or bipole will give you much better results. By buying a switchable speaker, you could experiment with both. If you buy Polks from say CC, you could experiment and then return them if you don't like them. I tried all three types when I bought my system and wound up liking bipoles the best. I have them mounted about one and a half feet above my head, when sitting, and on the side walls slightly behind me, probably about 110 degrees. This gave me the best combination of localization and diffusion. Anyway, just a thought.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You do it for the same reason that you don’t put speakers on the floor with the tweeter down – for improved imaging and for less reflections. Thus, speakers positioned below ear level should have the tweeters up; speakers above ear level should have the tweeters down.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks! Wayne. Whwn you say yamaha recomends them behind the seating area, do you mean on the back wall? or behind the seating area on the side walls as Dolby recomends?

Thanks!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yes, the picture diagrams I’ve always seen in their manuals show the rears on the back walls. Of course, not everyone has that option, and it’s not necessarily what Dolby recommends, but it’s what Yamaha recommends for their DSP surround modes.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jeffrey Stanton

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 and love the DSP modes. I'm running Klipsch KLF-30s for surrounds and Klipsch KSP-S6s for front effects (monopoles).

I mighty add that I use "Jazz Club", "Bottom Line" or "Roxy Theater" for ALL music and can't imagine not having these sound enhancing modes. It just sounds better.

Usually use "General 70mm Theater" or "Spectacle 70mm Theater" for all movies/TV watching. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks