Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Component cable question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   ChrisConklin

ChrisConklin

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted August 04 2003 - 12:48 PM

For my component hookup from my DVD to 27inch TV i'm using Acoustic Research A/V cables (half the price as oppossed to actual component cables), they are the Performance Series. The video cable is shielded more than the red and white cables. Are these cables doing the job or would i notice any difference if i were to switch to Radio Shack component cables?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   chris_everett

chris_everett

Second Unit

• 403 posts

Posted August 04 2003 - 01:15 PM

How long is the cable? A couple of feet, on a 27" tv, you probably won't notice. (Some would disagree) With a long cable, you should consider changing it. Also, try to keep the cable away from power or speaker cables as much as you can, to reduce any interferance to a minimum. That should minimize the effect of the shielding.
--Chris Everett

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   ChrisConklin

ChrisConklin

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted August 05 2003 - 08:17 AM

The length of the cable is only a foot.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   ChrisMcL

ChrisMcL

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted August 05 2003 - 09:01 AM

You can use a screwdriver to pound nails, but better to use a hammer. In other words, use the right tool for the job. Get yourself some component cables. A good set will cost you about $40.00 at your local independent A/V shop. Don't cheap out.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 05 2003 - 09:16 AM

Component cables should be 75-ohm. Audio cables (including the red and white cables on you AR set) are typically not. A good component connection requires cables that have the right specs and are identical. I'd get a real set of component cables.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists