Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How much ventilation space for receiver?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Jack_TN

Jack_TN

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted June 24 2003 - 06:58 AM

The H/K manual doesn't give specific recommendations, just 'be sure the receiver has adequate ventilation'. A Kenwood manual I looked at said allow 50 cm on top. If I remember my conversions correctly, that's around 20 inches, which seems impractical unless you just have the receiver sitting on top of the rack. Seems like all the racks I've seen have around 9 inch shelf spacing.

How much space do you recommend over the receiver in an open rack (in my case, for an HK 320)? I have an old chrome and glass etegere (shelves, for us uncultured people Posted Image ) which I think will work well for an audio rack. The shelves are spaced very widely, though -- the four shelves stand close to 6 feet tall -- so I'd like to cut it down some.

Thanks,

Jack

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted June 24 2003 - 07:12 AM

A few inches (four to six) to the sides, front, rear, and above the unit should be sufficient.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   JamesCB

JamesCB

Second Unit

• 440 posts

Posted June 28 2003 - 03:21 PM

Read this post the other day. That 50 cm is probably supposed to be 50 mm. That would make it about 2 inches. Which I would suppose is the very minimum.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Jack_TN

Jack_TN

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted June 29 2003 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the replies. The closed cabinet that I've had my old Kenwood receiver in doesn't provide much ventilation. I've decided since I'll be setting up a small HT system and using my new receiver a lot more, it'll be best to use those open shelves I have, though I like the idea that a closed cabinet gives a little more protection against dust.

Quote:
Read this post the other day. That 50 cm is probably supposed to be 50 mm. That would make it about 2 inches. Which I would suppose is the very minimum.

That may be. Electronics manuals aren't known for their excellent proofreading. Posted Image

Jack

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   RickMo

RickMo

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted June 29 2003 - 07:02 PM

>> Jack_TN. I think there was a similar thread about a month ago covering components in a closed cabinet. I, along with some others, use a fan to exhaust and circulate the air in the hopes of extending the life of our amps, DVD players, etc. I bought and use a 120v fan from partsexpress.com; others suggested low voltage DC fans from Radio Shack or DC fans run at half voltage (to cut down on the noise factor). Either way, in a closed cabinet, the use of an exhaust fan is a good idea.