What's new

How much ventilation space for receiver? (1 Viewer)

Jack_TN

Stunt Coordinator
The H/K manual doesn't give specific recommendations, just 'be sure the receiver has adequate ventilation'. A Kenwood manual I looked at said allow 50 cm on top. If I remember my conversions correctly, that's around 20 inches, which seems impractical unless you just have the receiver sitting on top of the rack. Seems like all the racks I've seen have around 9 inch shelf spacing.

How much space do you recommend over the receiver in an open rack (in my case, for an HK 320)? I have an old chrome and glass etegere (shelves, for us uncultured people :D ) which I think will work well for an audio rack. The shelves are spaced very widely, though -- the four shelves stand close to 6 feet tall -- so I'd like to cut it down some.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
A few inches (four to six) to the sides, front, rear, and above the unit should be sufficient.

JamesCB

Second Unit
Read this post the other day. That 50 cm is probably supposed to be 50 mm. That would make it about 2 inches. Which I would suppose is the very minimum.

Jack_TN

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies. The closed cabinet that I've had my old Kenwood receiver in doesn't provide much ventilation. I've decided since I'll be setting up a small HT system and using my new receiver a lot more, it'll be best to use those open shelves I have, though I like the idea that a closed cabinet gives a little more protection against dust.

Read this post the other day. That 50 cm is probably supposed to be 50 mm. That would make it about 2 inches. Which I would suppose is the very minimum.
That may be. Electronics manuals aren't known for their excellent proofreading. :D

Jack

RickMo

Stunt Coordinator
>> Jack_TN. I think there was a similar thread about a month ago covering components in a closed cabinet. I, along with some others, use a fan to exhaust and circulate the air in the hopes of extending the life of our amps, DVD players, etc. I bought and use a 120v fan from partsexpress.com others suggested low voltage DC fans from Radio Shack or DC fans run at half voltage (to cut down on the noise factor). Either way, in a closed cabinet, the use of an exhaust fan is a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks