What's new

Is there any difference between upconversion and scaling? (1 Viewer)

Phil L

Supporting Actor
I'm think of getting a Bravo D1 or a Samsung 931 and this was a question I've had.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That depends on exactly what you mean by "upconversion" and "scaling". :D But given the players you mentioned, I suspect you're talking about the same things either way, ie. upconversion/scaling to 720p/1080i output.

Do note that from what I'm hearing over at AVSforum, you will need DVI/HDCP input on your display to get the desired upconversion from the Samsung. There seems to be a workaround for the Bravo to upconvert for DVI w/out HDCP (or maybe it just works like that out-of-the-box).

_Man_

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I think in this context (dvd players), Upconversion refers to conversion from one scanrate to another, i.e. 480i to 480p, 720p, or 1080i.

If one were discussing AV receivers or pre-pros with video switching, upconversion might mean the ability to connect video source devices via composite, S-video, and component connections and output all input types via a single cable to the tv, usually component video though some receivers will upconvert composite to S-video but not to component.

Scaling, on the other hand, refers to a process by which non-anamorphic widescreen dvd images are expanded or "zoomed" to emulate anamorphic discs when displayed on a native 16/9 display instead of having bars on sides as well as top and bottom.

These are 3 completely separate functions.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Steve,

I understand what you mean, but given the players he is talking about, I doubt he's refering to aspect ratio control type scaling.

Also, both in practice and in general terms, upconversion can be considered a subset of scaling even if you're just talking about DVD players. For example, there's the x/y scaling that some people love about the Malata's.

Anyway, that's why it's really best to say what kind of scaling one is talking about although I agree that most people are refering to aspect ratio control when they talk about most other players (not HTPCs or the 2 specific players mentioned here).

_Man_

Phil L

Supporting Actor
Man,

You're right, I was talking about scan rate scaling/up-conversion.

I've got DVI/HDCP. I'm waiting on reviews of the 931 to choose between the two. It'd would be great if the 931 could also had aspect ratio control for non-anamorphic DVDs.

The only advantage the D1 has for me is Divx support.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
In my opinion:

Scaling is any conversion to get video that formerly occupied so many scan lines to now occupy a different number of scan lines.

If the number of scan lines is greater than before, it is also called upconversion. If less, it is also called downconversion.

Video ints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks