Is there any difference between upconversion and scaling?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Phil L, May 8, 2003.

1. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

I'm think of getting a Bravo D1 or a Samsung 931 and this was a question I've had.

2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    That depends on exactly what you mean by "upconversion" and "scaling". [​IMG] But given the players you mentioned, I suspect you're talking about the same things either way, ie. upconversion/scaling to 720p/1080i output.

Do note that from what I'm hearing over at AVSforum, you will need DVI/HDCP input on your display to get the desired upconversion from the Samsung. There seems to be a workaround for the Bravo to upconvert for DVI w/out HDCP (or maybe it just works like that out-of-the-box).

_Man_

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I think in this context (dvd players), Upconversion refers to conversion from one scanrate to another, i.e. 480i to 480p, 720p, or 1080i.

If one were discussing AV receivers or pre-pros with video switching, upconversion might mean the ability to connect video source devices via composite, S-video, and component connections and output all input types via a single cable to the tv, usually component video though some receivers will upconvert composite to S-video but not to component.

Scaling, on the other hand, refers to a process by which non-anamorphic widescreen dvd images are expanded or "zoomed" to emulate anamorphic discs when displayed on a native 16/9 display instead of having bars on sides as well as top and bottom.

These are 3 completely separate functions.

4. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Steve,

I understand what you mean, but given the players he is talking about, I doubt he's refering to aspect ratio control type scaling.

Also, both in practice and in general terms, upconversion can be considered a subset of scaling even if you're just talking about DVD players. For example, there's the x/y scaling that some people love about the Malata's.

Anyway, that's why it's really best to say what kind of scaling one is talking about although I agree that most people are refering to aspect ratio control when they talk about most other players (not HTPCs or the 2 specific players mentioned here).

_Man_

5. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

Man,

You're right, I was talking about scan rate scaling/up-conversion.

I've got DVI/HDCP. I'm waiting on reviews of the 931 to choose between the two. It'd would be great if the 931 could also had aspect ratio control for non-anamorphic DVDs.

The only advantage the D1 has for me is Divx support.

6. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

In my opinion:

Scaling is any conversion to get video that formerly occupied so many scan lines to now occupy a different number of scan lines.

If the number of scan lines is greater than before, it is also called upconversion. If less, it is also called downconversion.

Video ints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm