What's new

DirecTV & HDTV survey (1 Viewer)

Mark Wolverton

Stunt Coordinator
Last night I got a call from DirecTV. They were checking with HDTV/DTV users. Apparently they are getting ready to add several new channels on the 110 sattlelite. He didn't say what channels but, he did did ask about my locals OTA. I hope they bring on the networks or local HD stations. I would be stoaked!

kevitra

Second Unit
They don't have the bandwidth to do the locals in HD.

Probably ESPN and maybe DiscoveryHD.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Long threads about this over at AVS.

Apparently this survey's been going on for a month or more. DirecTV calling to find out if customers have the triple LNB setup necessary to get all the HD channels in anticipation of adding a few new ones.

They apparently want to avoid the problem that occurred when Showtime HD was added last year. Prior to Showtime all the HD channels were available with the oval dish and 2 lnbs, but Showtime was on the third satellite and needed the extra "Sat-C" kit.

DirecTV, as usual, gave no information ahead of time that Showtime was coming so everyone had to hussle to get the necessary equipment.

This time around they're surveying to make sure everyone's already equipped and giving folks a chance to upgrade to the SAt-C kit ahead of new channels coming.

The rumor is that there will be a new HD package including HDNet (already free with any total choice package), HDNet Movies--an all-HD movie channel, Discovery HD, and ESPN-HD for $10 a month.

Mark Cuban has made deals with several major studios for HD movies, and has pledged never to use HDCP.

Mark Wolverton

Stunt Coordinator
They don't have the bandwidth to do the locals in HD.
What else is on Sat C? I know HD takes a lot of bandwidth but the only channel I get on the 110 sat is Showtime HD. They probably couldn't do the locals but perhaps they could carry the networks. Except I guess that runs into that whole local market BS.

Kim D

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I'll have to get my Sat C working. I got the kit when Showtime HD came out on DirecTV. Never got it to work. Didn't really care at the time.

ESPN-HD would be worth the effort. I'm not into sports but I will watch hockey in HD and be mesmerized.

- kim

rodger_morales

Auditioning
I have heard through a website (televisionrumors.com? something that sounds totally unreliable) That DTV will be no longer giving HDnet for free. Rahter, they would be bundling HDnet, Discovery HD and hopefully EspnHD for $10 month.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
This is great news as I just joined the ranks of HDTV viewers wit my SONY 65" 16X9 HD set. I got the DirecTV upgrade recently and am blown away by the quality of HD. I would happily pay more for additional HD channels.

Bring them all on!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks