Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Home Theater Design Video & Audio

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Gary.Smit

Gary.Smit

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 11:40 AM

I am in the process of finishing my basement and one area will be a home theater. I will be purchasing new video and audio. I am unsure of the video viewing size to purchase can someone point me to a Web Page that can be used for design or reference. Also speaker placement is another area that I am not familiar with.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor

• 889 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 12:04 AM

Gary, There are a lot of very knowledgable people right here that would be more than happy to help. Just post your questions in the appropriate area and you'll get plenty of free advice.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 03:48 AM

Hi Gary. Welcome to HTF!

The Basics area is always a good place to start, but the other fourms all have the same rules-of-conduct so dont be afraid to post questions.

(It IS considered polite to do a search first, then ask specific questions about things you dont understand, or need customized for your situation. Posted Image )

Here are some good links for you to start with:

HT Constructions & Interiors - This is our own fourm for dedicated HT rooms. Search back through posts for the last 20-30 days to get some ideas of what others have done or had issues with.

Home Theater Builder Fourm - This is the fourm for a fairly new magazine that is dedicated to people like you. Since they are new, you may need to contact them and order back-issues.

Beginners Primer & FAQ - This is our own little fourm with TONS of info for beginners. Spend a few days skimming/reading and you will pick up a lot of the basics.

Viewing Distance Calculator - This handy site tells you how far away to sit. (2-3 times the diagonal display size is a good aproximation).

The information is out there, and this site is a great place to start. But plan to spend several days/weeks studying first.

If you are in a rush, then you should contact a professional installer. Otherwise you will likely buy or install things you would later regret.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users